chasepluto

Reaction score
can someone please explain to me what steam is? How am i suppose to use it? I am planning to buy the game. So want to know how to use it and whether its helpful. Plss help guys

can someone please explain to me what steam is? How am i suppose to use it? I am planning to buy the game. So want to know how to use it and whether its helpful. Plss help guys

Steam is an online games retailer, management and multiplayer portal. Steam is now the only way to play FM, to help battle piracy.

If you buy the game online you may only be given a steam code, or you will find your steam code included with your disc if you buy a conventional copy.

Either way you need to download steam here:

Steam, The Ultimate Online Game Platform

And then enter your code to install FM.

The advantages of steam are:

Steam will automatically update the game with patches for you.
The game is attached to your steam account, not your computer. So if you get a new computer (or indeed if you have more than one computer) you can install steam and the game on as many computers as you want, at no extra cost. You may only play the game on one system at a time though.
Steam has built in tools to fix errors, such as verifying the game files and de fragmenting game files for you.

The disadvantages of steam are:

None. Well aside from needing to be connected to the internet to play. But you can open steam whilst connected, and then disconnect from the internet, and as long as you dont restart steam or your computer, you wont need to reconnect to the net to play.

Thanks a lot dude.
But one little clarification - Suppose my net connection is out for a couple of weeks, does it mean i cant play the game at all till i get my connection back?

and is steam similar to Origin?? that thing through FIFA opens

Steam is similar to origin yes.

Once steam is in offline mode, you do not need the internet again as long as you:

Don't restart steam
Don't restart your computer

Sleeping your computer is fine, not sure about hibernate.

I've switched my lappy off so many times and not put steam in offline mode, got on the train for a 3 hour journey and not been able to play it!

Thats the thing I hate most about steam!!

I've switched my lappy off so many times and not put steam in offline mode, got on the train for a 3 hour journey and not been able to play it!

Thats the thing I hate most about steam!!

Just set it to sleep when you close the lid. Set steam to offline mode then close the lid. Will be fine to play again as soon as you open the lid.

Steam is similar to origin yes.

Once steam is in offline mode, you do not need the internet again as long as you:

Don't restart steam
Don't restart your computer

Sleeping your computer is fine, not sure about hibernate.

What exactly do you mean by that Jake?

Once you set Steam to offline, you can do whatever the **** you like with your computer and can play FM absolutely fine.

Or did I misunderstand your post? :)

What exactly do you mean by that Jake?

Once you set Steam to offline, you can do whatever the **** you like with your computer and can play FM absolutely fine.

Or did I misunderstand your post? :)

I've always been under the assumption that as soon as you restart steam or you computer, it is no longer in offline mode...

No, not at all.

Once set offline, in order to go back online, you have to manually do it using the same method you did to go offline.

Even when turning your computer off?

Yes. Don't worry, I'm not bullshitting. :D

I develop for a program that is sold through Steam. As it is an evolving platform and receives regular updates, developers such as myself who work on the live platform have to utilise offline mode in order to reduce the risk of having files modified.

Well i never knew that!

Just tested myself, well done sir.

Yeah, I did forget to mention that you must then restart Steam to activate the offline mode. You'll notice that the icon then changes in your taskbar.