Reaction score
I'm gonna start a season with Steaua, try and bring some European glory back to Bucharest. However, I'm not really sure what standard of player it is, in terms of a comparison to English football. They're in the Champions League, so obviously its a pretty good standard, but they pale in comparison to many of the other CL teams, naturally.

So would you say theyre championship/mid-table EPL standard? Just not really sure what kind of players to bring in.

Any help appreciated.

Is this a story or just a thread asking for help? If it's asking for help, next time search for the Help Thread..

Hard to say really. And if anyone does its purely personal oppinion. Think youll just have to give it a go and find out. Good luck.

No, its not a story, I was just saying what I planned to do. It was just a help thread, but because there are a few other threads on the 'Players' section about good players for good clubs I thought this was the place to ask.

i`m romanian and Steaua are like you say a middle/2nd half EPL team, although one that would easily steer clear of relegation. They have some good players and a great academy, and brought in C.Tanase this season who was generating interest from clubs like Juventus and Koln, at 23 he is already an established international and the `new Mutu`. Other youngsters to keep an eye out for include B.Stancu, Ochirosii and Onicas who seem to have good futures ahead of them.
As for CL...your best hope for the first two season would be 3rd placed group finish and a good run in the Europa League. Signings wise, not sure you can attract top top european quality but can definitley bring in youngsters or quality to suit your style.

Good luck

Cheers pal, thats really helpful. I'll look out for those players, and the advice about youngsters fits in with what I usually do as a manager so thats good :D Who are the other main teams to look out for in the league by the way?

Thanks again mate.

well....to be honest its a very tight league, currently the gap between 1st place and 8place is only 4 points !!

Dinamo Bucharest (team i support :p)- are your biggest rivals historically and one of the biggest and least mediased rivalries in european football. Dinamo-Steaua is THE derby in Romanian football. They are a big title threat. Just a taster: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQfW7uWXITk&feature=related"]YouTube- Coregrafie PCH la Dinamo 1-1 steaua (1 nov 2008)[/ame]

Rapid B used to be but recently have suffered from mismanagement at the very top a la liverpool...

CFR Cluj are a useful technical side with many s.american players, played in CL few years ago, beat Roma at the olimpico!

Urziceni are Super Dan Petrescu's team and are making headlines in this years CL.

Finally Timisoara and Craiova are two teams with great youngsters and ambitious clubs that have european histories.

Its a very competitive league in real life, haven't played it yet on FM10, but had some good seasons with Dinamo in Fm09.

Let us now how you get on !

Sorry mate but Steau B are not a mid table premier league team, just because they are in the CL doesnt mean that they would get into our top flight. Every european nation has at least 1 team seeded in european competition whether if its for the actual competition or preliminary rounds.
I doubt very much that they are as good as half of championship teams let alone any team in the prem, Newcastle, Forest, Sheff United, West Brom etc etc are all bigger and better teams than Steau. They never get out the group stages in the CL because they`re rubbish and they dont stand a chance of even getting close to the europa league trophy.

Theyv got some decent players and theres alot of good young talent at the minute in Romania If your looking to manage Steau dont expect to be signing big name players, nobody with status unless they are passed it are going to play in the romanian league. You`ll be able to sign up and coming youngsters but you wont have a pot to pee in so dont expect millions to spend.

Sorry mate but in my opinion steaua are definitely a mid table team. I never said they were so because they are simply in the CL. Furthermore i think i`m in a better position to pass judgement having lived in England for 20 years, watching both the Premiership and Liga 1.

I agree that they qualify because of the seeding system but its not simply a case of giving every european country a spot. Romania's champions are guaranteed direct qualification and from 2011 second spot is also guaranteed CL qualification. Steaua won the ECL just over 20 years ago, won the European supercup, played another CL final and have played in Europe almost every year since then, reaching a semi final (granted they lost to Middlesboro in what was probably Boro's best ever match and a one off result) where they knocked out Valencia en route, a Valencia very much at the top of their game in Europe.
We could go on and on but I`m sorry: you`re pretty close minded to simply call them "rubbish"...its harder for them to compete but that doesn;t mean they can't compete, or that credit isn't due. You are incredibly naive argue that teams like Forest or Sheffield United are "better"...