Stefan Ekkelund: Danish Legend, Burnley Manager

awsm13

Reaction score
For some reason since fm13 i've been playing under the guise of Stefan Ekkelund, a former danish international turned football manager, so i've continued the trend this year too.. Deciding to take control of Burnley and beat the drop or even qualify for europe...

heres a random screenshot...

View attachment 329320

After dealing with the board, my assistant, and the press I get down to business.. Releasing some of the coaches at the club and bringing in 15 new ones.. key attributes I look for in any person I hire is determination and man management. The stand out additions I made to the back-room staff were: Jim Stewart (excellent gk coach), John Harbin and Damian Roden (two of the best fitness coaches out there), John Murtough (who had ambitions to be a director of football but I managed to convince him in joining my coaching staff), and the two international legends Pauleta and Bryan Robson. With the backroom sorted I moved on to the players.

As i've said before I like determined individuals, and in order for a team like ours to succeed in this division players who I believe lack that mental toughness have to go. So Sordell, Stephen Ward, Ashley Barnes and Kevin Long have to go. The decision to sell Ashley was a tough one, because I grew fond of him during Burnley's promotion campaign, but the advances of leicester and the $6,750,000.00 they were willing to offer was too good to turn down.

Before I could complete any new signings, I had two friendlies i had to navigate through first. The usual squad analysis friendly vs the reserves and a match against local club Drolysden.

Tactics and Danny Ings

In Denmark we love football.. we love technical football.. and during the glory days of the danish national team we loved to entertain with football

I've honestly gotten over my obsession with tikki taka. I just want to entertain the fans and keep them on the edge of their seats with expansive attacking football, not monotone stuff. So thats what i will try to implement in my team.

I will build my team around two shapes the classic burnley 4-4-2 and my formation for the future a 4-3-3.

View attachment 705049 View attachment 705051

the 442 allows for the team to adjust to the new play style without having to worry too much about their positioning on the pitch, having played with this formation regularly under Sean Dyche. We will focus on pressing high up the pitch and transition quickly int attack with intelligent attacking movement in the final third. But these characteristics aren't that far fetched from Burnley's attacking tradition. (if you are interested in player and team instructions feel free to ask and I'll post them)

Obviously Burnley have seemingly always been a team blessed with attacking talent, and in Danny Ings they have that in abundance. But with that talent comes interest from bigger clubs, namely Southampton.. Its always Southampton. So I offer him a 5 year extension and hope for the best.

--------------------

Burnley v Reserves

obviously this match isn't really about the result, because we should win no matter what, its about how the players take to my instructions and deal with facing lesser opposition.

They didn't disappoint... In the first half at least

View attachment 329316

5 goals from my best 11 in the first half, put in the subs and lost 0-1 in the second half. But overall solid performance considering my team were getting used to a high defensive line.

--------

3 days later, the match against Droylsden. Again a test of my teams ability to understand my instructions and build on their previous performance.

Another emphatic victory, and apart from a sloppy goal from a corner in the closing stages, further improvement in performance.

View attachment 329313

I'm quite pleased..

Now wheres my check book? I need some signings to make

big money there for Barnes but as a Brighton fan i would had liked to seen you keep him and also Ward as feel even on FM they can be great signings! but good luck for the season