Stockport County Protest March

• Thread starter Thread starter HarryinHD
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 3K

HarryinHD

Reaction score
As you may have seen/heard on sky sports news, bbc, granada or channel m (if you're from manchester) Stockport County today took Manchester by storm. After weeks of planning, I and 5 other Stockport fans began to get together a large group of fans to take the protest march to Stockport Town Hall (to criticise the council for giving us NO assistance during our plight), the PFA Offices in Manchester to gain support from the top dogs in the game - the Cheif Executive Gordon Taylor gave us his full backing and told us that the PFA supports us all the way. Then we marched through manchester and deansgate to the Leonard Curtis (our USELESS administators) Head Office in Deansgate Centre. We sent our two main organisers into the building to discuss our current situation with the president of the company, when they emerged from the building to a chorus of abusive chants which were directed at the administators who remained inside the building - hiding from the Blue Army. Then our representatives spoke to us about the conversation that they'd had with the administrators and told us that we have NO assets NO money and NO deposit on ANY land and that all we have is hope, hope that a buyer comes in to buy a club with NO hope of survival unless a miracle happens.

We gained the media and footballing community's attention today with our protest, but how long will the interest last? how long until we sink? becoming another 'club that was' due to the carelessness of the old board and the administrators.

The reason I have made this thread is to ask you, PLEASE show your support to us. If there's any club in the entire world that needs it right now it's us.

Cheers.

Fan power can win. Brighton fans managed it. Keep going at it.

You have my support mate. It would be such a shame to see Stockport disappear.

anyone who lives in the north west region, catch the north west tonight news show - I got interviewed :$

In what way could the local council have assisted you?

In what way could the local council have assisted you?
by giving us funding, with money that they DO have.
they just recently spent £3million renovating an old bingo hall.

that's how.

Could you tell me the reasons for going into administration? Or have any links?

Cheers

EDIT - Stockport county council gave no way near £3m to restore the Plaza. The majority was funded by lottery money, regeneration grants and independent donations.

Hope Stockport don't go under though, it would be a mighty shame.

Last edited:
Keep at it lad. No club deserves to go under for those reasons. Fight 'til blood comes out of your ears

Could you tell me the reasons for going into administration? Or have any links?

Cheers
long story, but I'll explain.

In 2002, Countys old long term-chairman Brendan Elwood decided to renovate Edgeley Park into an all-seater stadium to make it more expensive and to help it attract more interest from other buyers - as he was planning for the club to leave for Maine Road Stadium in 2003. We failed to find a buyer and Elwood soon sold the club to Sale Sharks RFC owner Brian Kennedy and his consortium - Cheshire Sports. Cheshire Sports was merely an alias for the Sale Sharks RFC board. Sale needed a ground and saw Edgeley Park as the perfect stadium for them to move into. Kennedy did not buy the Stadium itself but assumed due to the current situation that the stadium was Sales. After attaining the stadium and spending only a year and a half at the club Cheshire Sports sold Stockport County AFC to Stockport County Supporters Trust. The supporters trust was made up of 20 regular fans who had given investments and bought shares in the club, plus 3 Directors - Norman Beverley, Mark Maguire and Mick Horton. After seeing the state of finances at the club, Beverley took over the role as cheif executive director - making him in charge of all of the financial ins and outs. He almost immediately took out a £1.5million loan from the David Farms Loan company. This £1.5million was no doubt the worst thing that happened to our squad since Carlton Palmer (:@) as we were given an 18 month deadline to pay back the loan in full - something that is near impossible for a Lower League Club ran by a Supporters Trust to pull off. After 18 months, the club were asked to repay the remaining £400,000 of the loan in full within one month or risk going into administration, we failed to pay the £400,000 and David Farms called in the administrators to help the club get back on its feet financially. The administration company Leonard Curtis Ltd made a number of redundancies, including manager Jim Gannon, assistant Peter Ward, Reserve Coach Alan Lord and Physio Ben Cooper, the entire youth academy was also cleared out and the facilities were sold. Now, 8 months prior to the original administration agreement we remain in administration, slowly rotting away while Leonard Curtis' administrators are charging us £300 per hour while working 9 to 5, 5 days a week - slowly sucking the money we dont have out of our club. Today on the march we spoke to Gordon Taylor - Cheif Executive of the PFA and he assured us that he would have a meeting with 2 representatives of Stockport County AFC and the 2 administrators who are working at the club to try and discuss some sort of agreement to speed up the takeover process. However, when we questioned the Leonard Curtis representatives about the situation he told us that due to the lack of support that we are having from potential investors and buyers - the club may cease to exist if it doesnt emerge from administration by May 15th 2010. He also stated that due to the lack of funds and assets, all we now have is the hope and optimism of the fans.

That pretty much covers what's gone on over the past few years.

All of this would of been solved if man ****** or Ushited could have done what Burnley did with Accrington, Hold a match and give the ticket reciepts to County!

it makes me laugh how I typed all of that when I only meant to summarise how we initially got into admin.
that took me 20minutes to type up haha.
shame no one will give us a friendly, cant see it really :/

It would be such a great shame to see Stockport go under, especially when two of the richest clubs in the world are located right next to them yet they refuse to help the club next to them.

Hope use stay up, my brothers mate (Carl Baker) plays for them so I always like to see how they get on. Unfortunately, recently they haven't been doing too well :( Good Luck anyway!

It would be such a great shame to see Stockport go under, especially when two of the richest clubs in the world are located right next to them yet they refuse to help the club next to them.
it's disgusting, really does make you wonder what use protesting is when the interest isn't exactly going to rise.
Hope use stay up, my brothers mate (Carl Baker) plays for them so I always like to see how they get on. Unfortunately, recently they haven't been doing too well :( Good Luck anyway!
cheers mate, bakes is a good player, top lad too.

it's disgusting, really does make you wonder what use protesting is when the interest isn't exactly going to rise.

cheers mate, bakes is a good player, top lad too.

Fulham were definitely in a situation like this in the 90's, we had no money and were lingering at the bottom of the football league, luckily Mickey Adams was appointed and got us promoted and then Al Fayed took over the club and then the story tells itself. The situation at Stockport saddens me and I truly hope that someone comes and provides you with some cash, it goes to show how greedy football can be these days. I hope you don't go down the same route as Chester did but you never know, there could be light at the end of the tunnel, Bournemouth have seemed to recovered from going into Administration and look where they are now, I really hope it all works out for you lot.

Or, I hope they stay in existence. And come down to the BSP. Where all the big clubs play (H)

Fulham were definitely in a situation like this in the 90's, we had no money and were lingering at the bottom of the football league, luckily Mickey Adams was appointed and got us promoted and then Al Fayed took over the club and then the story tells itself. The situation at Stockport saddens me and I truly hope that someone comes and provides you with some cash, it goes to show how greedy football can be these days. I hope you don't go down the same route as Chester did but you never know, there could be light at the end of the tunnel, Bournemouth have seemed to recovered from going into Administration and look where they are now, I really hope it all works out for you lot.
I hope it works out mate, I really do.
I'd be lost without county :S

Back