Stockport County - The Journey back up and beyond

stobdog

Reaction score
STOCKPORT COUNTY - SKRILL NORTH
View attachment 357889

Hi guys, i'm new here (literally joined 30 minutes ago with the sole intention of doing a FM story thread) and thought i'd share my FM 2014 journey from the Skrill North with Stockport County with you all.

Every win, every loss, every awful signing and every potential triumph i'll be sharing with you lot.

Any and all advice would be brilliant as it's the first time i've done something like this.

(I'll update this almost daily too so hopefully nobody will get bored)

Last edited:
I'm having some difficulties regarding screenshots at the moment so will post in text form until a solution appears.

AND SO IT BEGINS...

My first order of business was to terminate the contract of my assistant manager (44 year old Phil Brown) and replace his with 59 year old Alan Crawford as he had a lot higher overall Judging of Ability and potential, thus giving me a better view of my teams actual ability in the team report. I also decided to stick with a traditional 4-4-2 but i'll go through tactics after this.

Going from the improved team report i have gathered thus: (will be formatted in Current star rating - Potential star rating)

GK:
Ian Ormson - *** - *****
Ryan Jones - ** - *****

I'll probably keep Ormson and Jones and sign a experienced keeper as backup and to tutor one of them. Both are predicted to be leading League 2 goalkeepers in the future so maybe tutoring will improve that slightly.

DL:
Stephen O'Halloran - *** - ***
Scott Duxbury - ** 1/2 - ****

I don't have much choice in terms of left back from the start, Duxbury is only 18 so maybe worth using sparingly until he's ready to challenge O'Halloran for the starting places.

DC:
Kieran Charnock -**** 1/2 - **** 1/2
Jordan Fagbola- **** 1/2 - *****
James Tunnicliffe - **** -*****
James Washburn - ** - ****

I have a pretty good choice at CB if i'm honest, with both Fagbola and Tunnicliffe having a large amount of potential. I'll be looking at moving Washburn on and signing someone with a bit more potential.

DR:
Mark Lees - *** - ****

Not exactly spolied for choice in regards to a natural right back, with Lees being the only player capable of that role. I'll hopefully be strengthening this position pretty quickly. Despite his versatility, i don't think Lees will be anything more than a useful squad player.

ML:
Bobby Lofthouse - ** 1/2 - ****

I'm looking a bit thin around the wing area of my team and this is only highlighted by Lofthouse's potential (or lack of it). I'll hopefully be able to bring in a couple of players in the wide Midfield positions.

MC:
Jamie Hand - *** -***
Paris Bateman - ** - *****
Nicky Platt - ** - **
Tunji Moses - * 1/2 - * 1/2

Really weak midfield with the exception of Bateman. I hopefully will be able to mould Bateman into a well rounded midfielder within a few years and i have high hopes for him. The rest of the midfield is less than average and i'll probably overhaul all 3 of thos others in favour of more skillful players

MR:
Adriano Moke - ** - **** 1/2

With only one MR in my team it's quite obvious i'll have to bring in some backup to provide some competition to Moke. Moke however does look a strong first team player and hopefully i can hold on to the 23 year old Portugese midfielder.

ST:
Phil Jevons - **** 1/2 - **** 1/2
Liam Dickinson - **** 1/2 - **** 1/2

Obviously with these two in my team i can guarantee a good amount of goals but in the event of an injury to either it could spell disaster, ergo i'll be bringing in 2/3 backup or prospect strikers to challenge for first team and be solid backup when needed.

Youth Prospects:

Chris Churchman - ** Potential

Chris is the only player in my U19's and doesn't look quality at all, i'll probably move on and hope for a good youth intake come March.

Tactics:

I'll be going with a standard 4-4-2 with a very balanced approach.

In terms of player roles it will be as follows

Goalkeeper
Fullback - Limited Defender - Limited Defender - Fullback
Winger - Box to Box - Box to Box - Winger
Target Man - Poacher

Hopefully with two wingers the target man will get a good amount of service and be able to knock down a few crosses for team mates

Next update will be Transfers / Pre Season

Pre Season , Transfer activity and gearing up for the long road ahead

I first of all cancelled ALL of my friendlies and rearranged them with higher profile clubs (mainly big club reserve teams e.g Bayern Munich II & Lyon Reserves) for the simple reason of money coming in to help the clubs finances a little.

Pre Season Results:
Stockport 1 (Bobby Lofthouse 13) - Stockport Under 21's 2 (John Shepherd 44, Danny Hunt 90+1)
Disappointing result but one i didn't really care about as it was a day after joining thus meaning my tactics didn't really have much effect. Losing to a last minute goal was a bit of a kick in the nuts though.

Stockport 4 (Kristian Dennis 8 & 39, Adriano Moke 32, Phil Jevons 64) - AFC Telford 2 (Stephen O'Halloran (o.g) 28, Russell Benjamin 44)
Solid result against a team in the same league as my team. Dennis was a player i neglected to include in my first team report as he was hidden away in the U21's and his two goals were a bit of a surprise so i may have to take a closer at him in the near future. Despite having only 42% of the possession i managed a solid 9 shots with 7 of those being on target.

Stockport 1 (Liam Dickinson 5) - AS Monaco FC Reserves 2 (Nathan Laze 34, Rapael Diarra 69)
I didn't expect much from this match at all so to run Monaco (albeit their reserves) as close as i did was a pleasant surprise. I had 47% of the possesion and managed a healthy 8 shots on goal. Very even match and i can have very little complaints going into the next match.

Stockport 1 (Liam Dickinson 82) - Olympique Lyonnais Reserves 1 (Dylan Mboumbouni 4)
Bit of a surprise result if i'm honest, Lyon Reserves really didn't have much control over the match despite getting more shots than me (9 to my pitiful 3), they only had 46% possesion and squandered many chances to score. Despite needing a late equaliser from Dickinson, I am more than happy with this result and hopefully i can keep this momentum going.

Stockport 3 (Liam Dickinson 11 & 25, Kyle Jacobs 89) - FC Bayern II 1 (Daniel Wein 71)
Brilliant result. Hammering a team with the quality such as Bayern II is very pleasing. Liam Dickinson is looking like a very strong player and the tactics seem to be effective for the team i have. 44-56 possesion doesn't do the result any justice as i have double the shots on target Bayern had. The current way we are playing i'd be surprised if we didn't meet our expectations of getting to the playoffs.

Stockport 4 (Kristian Dennis 26, Phil Jevons 34, TRIALIST 39, Liam Dickinson 89) - Hednesford 1 ( Neil Harvey 47)
Straight forward win against a fellow league team, very little to say as it was just a good all round performance.

Stockport 1 (Liam Dickinson 74) - Buxton 1 (Andy Molloy 59)
Disappointing draw. Late lucky equaliser. Very average performance. Not much more to say than that.

Stockport 0 - Lille Reserves 1 (Arnauld Soquet 58)

I expected a defeat but i pushed Lille close and had 3 goals disallowed in 10 minutes. Disappointed but we're showing signs of working together a lot better. One more pre season match and then the real test begins.

Stockport 2 (Kieran Charnock 15, Liam Dickinson 67) - FC United 1 (Chris Langham 20)
Final pre season game and the last chance for me to evaluate my squad. I ended pre season on somewhat of a high, with a win and yet another star performance from Liam Dickinson. Hopefully i can hold on to him and keep him here for a good few years. Dominated the game and all areas linked up well with each other.

Transfer Activity
Transfer Budget - £0
Wage Budget - £5,456 per week

I outlined my transfer plans during my team report, I mainly needed to strengthen my wingers, full backs and provide competition for CM and ST.
I released both Tunji Moses and Nicky Platt as they were just not good enough to be in my first team or even backup. Freeing up a bit more space in the first team and freeing up some wage budget.
My first signing was former Histon player Joe Peacock on non contract basis. Peacock is an 18 year old MR who can competently play ML & CM and i intend to retrain him to play on both wings and possibly in the centre as a versatile backup / future prospect. His current ability is ** and has ***** potential (good Sky Bet League 2 right midfielder according to my assistant. Him coming on non co tract basis means no damage to my wage budget.
Secondly i brought in former Newcastle United CM Ben Williamson. He's only a young lad at 21 and has the potential to play at a League 2 standard. I'll probably retrain him to play both wings so he's a bit more versatile and adds a bit to the team. At only £250 a week i reckon i'll make a decent profit on this free signing in a couple of years.

Pre season Evaluation:
The team performed really well and the highlight being the 3-1 thrashing of FC Bayern II. The stand out performer was Liam Dickinson without any doubt, scoring 7 goals in 5 games , hopefully he can continue this hot run of form for the whole season (fingers crossed!).

dickinson seem a big player for your club on his return knows where the net is