Nazgul Killer

Reaction score
I need help guys, something really frustrating has happened to me over my game, quite a few times actually. Sadly, no photos as I completely forgot about that... So, I'll best explain.

I've had 4 games against Stoke City in my two-year season now with Newcastle.

Three out of four games have ended up with my victory, and one with a draw.

That's not my problem. My problem with Stoke is the fact that every time I find myself pitted against them, I finish the game with injuries. A lot of them. Just my recent game got my star striker injured, his protege injured (Both taken off the field), and another four players injured ''lightly''.
The game before that (The very first game of the season) saw the exact same duo injured and taken off the field with two others injured ''lightly''.
The duo is Taufic Guarch as the protege and Bony as the star striker, the latter being a real star (23 appearances and 22 goals).
In the previous season, both games I've played against them ended up with a player taken off the field from my side (Shola Ameobi once, Steven Taylor the other) and one player lightly injured.

Every time I play against Stoke the same thought brushes through my mind; "I just hope they don't decide to stab my players..."

My question is; How can I avert such injuries? It should be specified that my squad is huge, so injuries rarely hinder me - And that's why I built such a huge squad, as to not to worry about injuries... But when it comes to my star players...

So please, I need your help, do you have any advice on how to avoid injuries?

Last edited:
Training regimes with high workloads are the only factor I can think off tht impact on injuries.

I guess you have just been very unlucky against Stoke, the fact that they probably employ aggressive tackling in their their tactics probably doesn't help. Erm, so I guess hope they get relegated :p

They were close, and still are. Currently lurking about at 15th place, hopefully they'll be tossed out. I want to buy some of their players, and their relegation would be an awesome thing for me.

In any way, yeah, I guess they do use aggression as a weapon... But I really need a way to counter that aggression. Do you have any ideas? Tougher players maybe? More physical players?

Chelsea always injure my players. Ivanovic and Alex seem to love kicking my players..
Found nothing to stop it so i dont tend to play my best players and go for damage limitation. (Lost 5-0 twice)

I see. That's a good idea. Foolish of me, I haven't thought of using some of my so called second outfit players against Stoke... Thanks mate, that was quite helpful.

I've had the same with Debrecen. Finished a match with a win against Anderlecht with 7 players on the pitch. They injured 7 players, and 4 of them is for months. The others "just" 2-3 weeks. Lol. But still, I have qualified for the UCl in my first season. Knocked out Partizan too.

Does your team play possession football?

Have the same thing with Stoke - they're basically dirty b***ards and you just have to hope you're allocated a strong ref. I think the advice to field a weaker team just plays into their hands and is faintly ridiculous. And the advice on training regimes, while good generally, is irrelevant because you're talking about players getting injured in the game. If that was the problem, it would be happening every game, not just against Stoke.

My advice would be, if you're going to go down the route of altering your tactics to counter them, then maybe switch your tackling to hard to fight fire with fire. The ref can hardly start sending your players off while letting theirs get away with it. Just make sure he's not a card-happy whistler before you do that. If he is, the problem's sorted for you anyway.

Does your team play possession football?
Yes, why?

Have the same thing with Stoke - they're basically dirty b***ards and you just have to hope you're allocated a strong ref. I think the advice to field a weaker team just plays into their hands and is faintly ridiculous. And the advice on training regimes, while good generally, is irrelevant because you're talking about players getting injured in the game. If that was the problem, it would be happening every game, not just against Stoke.

My advice would be, if you're going to go down the route of altering your tactics to counter them, then maybe switch your tackling to hard to fight fire with fire. The ref can hardly start sending your players off while letting theirs get away with it. Just make sure he's not a card-happy whistler before you do that. If he is, the problem's sorted for you anyway.
Thanks mate! Fantastic advice!