alexjp123

Reaction score
I'm with Everton 1st season. I'm wasting so many chances because Jack Rodwell takes a shot every single time he has a chance to.

He always misses.

On player instructions his distance shooting is set to rarely, and his creative freedom is on little.

I know he has Shoots from Distance as one of his Preferred Moves. And on his training screen is has it in red under preferred move training, so I'm sure he's being retrained (although I can't remember).

Is there anything else I can do? He's literally having about 5/6 shots a game which could have been worked into CCCs.

what are his other instructions? running with, through balls etc?

i was sick of this too with my game i had with Swindon, turned down everything i thought would stop them shooting from distance yet they still would.

I'm with Everton 1st season. I'm wasting so many chances because Jack Rodwell takes a shot every single time he has a chance to.

He always misses.

On player instructions his distance shooting is set to rarely, and his creative freedom is on little.

I know he has Shoots from Distance as one of his Preferred Moves. And on his training screen is has it in red under preferred move training, so I'm sure he's being retrained (although I can't remember).

Is there anything else I can do? He's literally having about 5/6 shots a game which could have been worked into CCCs.

try to give him more creative freedom, through balls to sometimes, try to train his preferred moves to "rather pass than shoot" and if shoots from distance is red, than you maybe accepted coaches advice to train him to stop shoots from distance

Last edited:
**** this site at the moment! I had typed out a long list of options.... :(

quick recap! give him more freedom (setting it too low can have adverse effects on players) as he is resorting to his PPM's

set his attacking and freedom just below halfway :) that is a very short version of it!

Cheers guys, I'll give it a try.

I always thought creative freedom was linked with how clever and creative a player is!! whoops

I always put most of my players on fairly low unless they are playmaker types

Shooting from a distance is proper winding me up as well. All of my midfield do it, and I am going to sell Aguero because that's one of his PPM's and he won't unlearn it. Nothing you can do in the ME stops them doing it in my experience.

maybe give him a fine? wouldnt that help?

talk to him to stop shooting from distance i think Jack Rodwell has that as a ppm

talk to him to stop shooting from distance i think Jack Rodwell has that as a ppm
did you even read the OP mate?

From the way I see it, other than their creative freedom, player tend to long shot when they're out of option of doing anything else.
For example your player instruction is RWB often, TTB sometimes, long shot rarely.

When he got the ball, the first thing he'll want to do is to run pass the man. But no option, so he'll try to through ball.
No free man so he'll just pass. But other players are too far, out from his passing style range.
So that last option is to just shoot from where he is.

So basically what you need to do is when your team is playing, there are always options when one player is on the ball.
You can do it by setting the mentality (so that they're not to far apart), run from deep (if they run forward their position will be empty and no option to pass short), or play with the passing style (doing too short means they won't look for players a bit further upfront despite being free).

Other things being opponent's defense (when they park the bus there will be less option to run, pass) as well as your tempo and time wasting.

If you somehow got the right mix on that you'll be golden.
I've managed to make long shots per game to just around 10% of my total shoots, meaning only 2-3 only.

Open youtube and search for Sabri Sarıoğlu.. Thank to your God.. And continue playing :)

Sorry for playful attitude, your post reminded me Sabri and i had to write :)

I have had some success reducing long shots by increasing the 'time wasting' setting. Doing this seems to instruct the players to be more patient with the ball and wait for opportunities to open up. I wish there was a player instruction for to accomplish this. Some players are better off passing the ball at first opportunity than dwelling on it.

I'm afraid there's NO WAY to stop it other than telling him to stop it directly, no matter what PI you give to him. My Nani also shot everytime he get the ball because of his PPM. If he still don't want to stop it then just delete the PPM from FMRTE!!

Kolarov had to be trained for 2 and a half seasons to stop doing that...thats all i have to say...anyway i think the shout "work ball into box" helps a little but im not sure...