Scotty98TR

Reaction score
In the last 3 matches, my striker has managed just 3 shots. I have looked at passes into him and his average position, and he barely spends anytime at all in the box. I have set him as a poacher, with almost maximum attacking mentality. I have tried setting him as my target man with run onto ball.

Any ideas, and reasons why he might keep coming deep and drifting out wide?

I had the prob of him drifting out wide to much ! I just set his wide play to normal instead of move into channels! Hope that helps

Apart from some of his ppms ( like comes deep to get ball), I would say that the flaw lies in your approach and his support. Try looking at a whole match. Is he really coming deep all the time or is it that he takes his runs to early in the attacks and he does not get the ball and after that, he drops deep to get into the play, not being offside etc ?

I had the prob of him drifting out wide to much ! I just set his wide play to normal instead of move into channels! Hope that helps

Tried that aswell, no luck either.

Apart from some of his ppms ( like comes deep to get ball), I would say that the flaw lies in your approach and his support. Try looking at a whole match. Is he really coming deep all the time or is it that he takes his runs to early in the attacks and he does not get the ball and after that, he drops deep to get into the play, not being offside etc ?

None of my strikers have any PPMs that should affect it. It is defintely that he is coming deep to get the ball, rather than making early runs like you said (In which case playing more through balls with a quicker would of helped?).

I literally want him to do exactly what the poachers description is, I don't want him to get involved in any build up play, I just want him to be there to get to the rebounds, offer an option in the box, etc.

I can't really see or think of anything wrong with my support/build up play. In case anyone can immediatly spot something, this is what I do:

I use a quick, attacking 4-2-3-1 tactic. I play with an attacking IF on the left, and a supporting winger on the right. My LB overlaps, and my RB provides support. My AM is my Advanced-Playmaker, and one CM is a DLP - Defend, the other is a BBM.

During the match, my players have plenty of options, both around them and further up the pitch. Yet still my striker will come short, offering yet another option. This means I very rarely have anyone getting to the loose balls, or a quick direct option straight into the box...

Tried that aswell, no luck either.

None of my strikers have any PPMs that should affect it. It is defintely that he is coming deep to get the ball, rather than making early runs like you said (In which case playing more through balls with a quicker would of helped?).

I literally want him to do exactly what the poachers description is, I don't want him to get involved in any build up play, I just want him to be there to get to the rebounds, offer an option in the box, etc.

I can't really see or think of anything wrong with my support/build up play. In case anyone can immediatly spot something, this is what I do:

I use a quick, attacking 4-2-3-1 tactic. I play with an attacking IF on the left, and a supporting winger on the right. My LB overlaps, and my RB provides support. My AM is my Advanced-Playmaker, and one CM is a DLP - Defend, the other is a BBM.

During the match, my players have plenty of options, both around them and further up the pitch. Yet still my striker will come short, offering yet another option. This means I very rarely have anyone getting to the loose balls, or a quick direct option straight into the box...

Could you upload a pkm ( a match) here this happends ?

You could always set creative freedom for his position at a minimum.

You could always set creative freedom for his position at a minimum.

I have also tried decreasing his creative freedom, but since my strikers are all very good mentally, I didn't want to decrease it too much.

Could you upload a pkm ( a match) here this happends ?

I will do ASAP, although I don't know how to upload it to the site? Do I need to use something like mediafire? :)

Okay, I seem to have sorted it out for now. I pushed my defensive line a bit higher, so there is less room for my striker to drop into, and it doesn't take as long to get the ball forward. I also dropped back my more defensive CM to the DM position so that he will be in a position to receive the ball short almost all the time, so there isn't a need for the striker to drop deep (Although there wasn't before anyway!)

Don't suppose there is much point now, but should I still upload a match file in case you can spot anything else I could improve on (I would prefer to not have to push my line as far up!)? Thanks everyone that helped! :D

Okay, I seem to have sorted it out for now. I pushed my defensive line a bit higher, so there is less room for my striker to drop into, and it doesn't take as long to get the ball forward. I also dropped back my more defensive CM to the DM position so that he will be in a position to receive the ball short almost all the time, so there isn't a need for the striker to drop deep (Although there wasn't before anyway!)

Don't suppose there is much point now, but should I still upload a match file in case you can spot anything else I could improve on (I would prefer to not have to push my line as far up!)? Thanks everyone that helped! :D

Not really as I was basiclly going to analyze if he actually did drop deep as often as you though he did :D