Stothy's Pass and Move - Play like AC Milan

stothy862

Reaction score
I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't post a tactic this year, that lasted 3 months.

Recently I got really frustrated with Football Manager, I was finding it more and more difficult this year . I went out and bought Fifa 12 to try and ease my pain. After a few weeks I found myself playing as AC Milan, I love their style of play, their players and most importantly the formation. I was astonished with the no wingers approach, I had never tried it before on any game, but it worked. I started to get wins in and then I thought I should replicate it.

This has brought me to my pass a move tactic.

View attachment 212163

At first I didn't think it would work, a 1-0 loss but I knew where it was going wrong, the was no link from defence to midfield. So I played the midfielders more defensive and the tactic flew! After the first 5 games 3/1/1 the team was blending well. And I went on a run of wins, 10 games unbeaten and 8 win streak. Here are the fixtures:

View attachment 212162

As you can see not many conceded!

View attachment 212165

For a team predicted to come 17th that's not bad!

So if you are convinced. Here are the positions:

GK - Any decent keeper will do. Personally leave this to scouts and assistant, I don't really do much research here.

FB - A good physical full back is good, pace acceleration and stamina are needed! They have to be high working, they need to get into all the positions the midfielders need help with. Determination is key as well makes them more likely to win the match for you.

Recommended: Taye Taiwo, Ignazio Abate, Ashley Cole, Patrice Evra, Federico Balzaretti, Bacary Sanga, Daniel Alves.

CB - This tactic stands off a lot to stop opposition runs and fill gaps in the defence with midfielders. So Anticipation is key here, defenders shouldn't dive in, save the tackle for the right moment and hold the line. Keeping composed is also useful a long with marking and Positioning. Tackling is an obvious choice. Again determined defenders will win balls better when the opposition in on a counter attack! Also bear in mind: Decisions, Influence, Jumping, Heading and Strength.

Recommended: Thiago Silva, Alessandro Nesta, Ledley King, Walter Samuel, Christoph Metzelder.

CM (middle) - This guy drops back more and win the ball in his own half. A brave determined player will play this role best with a high aggression. He will need good defensive attributes like marking and tackling too. Finally, a lot of passing goes on in the midfield so passing is also useful.

Recommended:Mark van Bommel, Antonio Nocerino, Massimo Ambrosini, Gennaro Gattuso, Marcos Senna, Darren Fletcher. (AC Milan are pretty set here)

CM (left and right) - These players are box to box midfielders, they win the ball in their own half and make the chances in the oppositions, this is where AC Milan really let me down and this position is quite key. High decisions and Technique are key so they make the right move and not left hanging in the wrong half. Passing is the main attribute to take into account as they will be doing a lot of it! Stamina to keep them going the whole match will help or a lot of subs will be needed.

Recommended: Alberto Aquilani, Clarence Seedorf, Toni Kroos, David Beckham, Thiago Motta, Rafael van der Vaart, Xavi, Ryan Giggs.

AMC - A determined player again, with high agility to make it through lots of defenders and create a killer move. High creativity and strength so the moves can actually happen. First touch will make a considerable difference to how a move goes!

Recommended: Kevin-Prince Boateng, Robinho, Steven Gerrard, Yoann Gourcuff, Mario Gotze.

ST - Although both positions are very different, they require the same player. Except the LS needs someone taller and RS quicker. A technical agile player with high finishing will make a good striker. Strength to hold off opponents and off the ball skill to find the positions. Dribbling can help but not necessary.

Recommended: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Pato, Robinho, Lacina Traore, Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, Samuel Eto'o.

Not a comprehensive list of the only player who can play that position but the ones that I believe will work at first glance. Bold means AC Milan players. Underlines is my personal must buys.

Please try and feedback, this thread is just a work in progress!

DOWNLOAD

Pitch size, match preparation?
I don't have any preference, Pitch size I am using is maximum but standard to max should do.

As for match prep that's down to you, I use defensive positioning all season but it's all up to what you feel is right!

Dude,i was looking long time for ac milan tactic.I dont know how to thank you!THANK YOU!!!!;);):):)

Wow anytime mate! Just glad I could help, please get back to me!

Dude,in what role should play cassano,when is came back after injury.For poacher is too slow,but for targetman is to small?

WOW,quick response,so cassano as trequartista and ibra as poacher.

;)

Last edited:
I use Ibra as an advanced forward, but he can also play Treq very well too. Pato and Robinho are awesome poachers :)

You know what you talking about.I have only one question,is it important on which side striker is?

You know what you talking about.I have only one question,is it important on which side striker is?

Not too much mate. On my first Milan save I played - Robinho poacher - Ibra advanced st - Pato poacher and they all did really well together.

Cassano is best as a Treq, Ibra can pretty much do everything to be honest. Pato and Robinho are definate poachers with their pace. You might want to teach both of them to work on their finishing / composure and get them to learn "Places ball into the corners of the goal" or whatever its called :)

Not too much mate. On my first Milan save I played - Robinho poacher - Ibra advanced st - Pato poacher and they all did really well together.

Cassano is best as a Treq, Ibra can pretty much do everything to be honest. Pato and Robinho are definate poachers with their pace. You might want to teach both of them to work on their finishing / composure and get them to learn "Places ball into the corners of the goal" or whatever its called :)

Now i know everythink,what i wanted to know.
Thanks ;)