stourbridge

Reaction score
STOURBRIDGE F.C.

View attachment 329839

Stourbridge Football Club (nicknamed "The Glassboys" due to the town's traditional association with the cut glass industry) is an English association football club based in the town of Stourbridge, West Midlands. The club currently plays in the Southern League Premier Division.

Early years

The club was founded in 1876 and was originally known as Stourbridge Standard. By the late 1880s it is known that that they had changed its name to simply Stourbridge and competed in the Birmingham and District League, where reasonable success was achieved without actually gaining the league title, although the Worcestershire Senior Cup was won on three occasions.
The 1923/24 season was one of the best in the club's history, as they clinched the Birmingham League championship and also won the Worcestershire Senior Cup yet again.
After World War II, The Glassboys enjoyed their greatest period of success in non-league football, as they carried off the Birmingham Combination Championship in 1952 and also won the Birmingham, Worcestershire and Herefordshire Senior Cups. The club returned to the Birmingham League in 1954 on the disbanding of the Birmingham Combination and were runners-up in 1955–56. The Birmingham Senior Cup was won for a second time in 1958–59 and the 1967–68 season saw the club achieve their own "double" in lifting both the Worcestershire and Birmingham Senior Cups.
[edit]Into the Southern League

In 1971 the club was elected to the expanding Southern League and met almost instant success under manager Alan Grundy in the 1973–74 season, with the Division 1 (North) title and the Merit Cup (for the league's highest goalscorers) coming to Amblecote. Twin strikers Ray Haywood and Chic Bates each notched 50 goals that season and were transferred to Shrewsbury Town, where Bates served 13 years as both player and manager. Another highlight in 1973–74 was a tremendous run in the Welsh Cup, in which the team disposed of both Swansea City and Wrexham on their own grounds and then faced Cardiff City in a two leg final. A record crowd of 5,726 saw the Glassboys lose the home leg 1–0 and they also lost 1–0 at Ninian Park.
Stourbridge spent ten seasons in the Premier Division of the Southern League between 1974 and 1984, two centre-forwards were also sold in the 70s, Steve Cooper to Torquay United and Tony Cunningham to Lincoln City. Finishing reularly in the top six and under the management of Tony Freely, they won the Worcestershire Senior Cup for the 9th time with a victory over close rivalsKidderminster Harriers in 1981 with the Stourbridge born Brendan Drummond getting the winning goal in the second leg away to the Harriers to win 2–1 on aggregate. Stourbridge were one of the first English semi-professional clubs to tour the South East of the USA in the early Eighties.
Subsequent Midland Division form was mediocre too, despite three good FA Cup runs, and a disastrous run of results in 1987–88 led to a relegation spot, however fortune was on the club's side and they were re-elected to the League in the close season. Stourbridge then went on from strength to strength, culminating in winning the Midland Division championship in 1991, although Southern League officials refused promotion due to the shared use of the ground by the local cricket club.
October 1997 saw a new Chairman at the club and his early enthusiasm in refurbishing the social club continued with many signings for the 1998–99 season under the guidance of new manager, Steve Daniels. The Glassboys spent much of the early part of the season in the top 3 whilst also reaching the FA Cup 4th qualifying round for the first time in 15 years, but the success was short lived as budget cutbacks saw many of the more experienced players moving on. In 2000 a new owner came to the club, and swiftly appointed Mark Serrell as chairman, along with FA Qualified coach and ex-Birmingham City player Mark Harrison as manager. Despite an influx of new players, continued poor results meant Stourbridge's 29-year spell at Southern League level ended with defeat in the last game of the season at Hinckley United in May 2000.

Re-grouping in the Midland Alliance

The club house end of the ground​

The club began its first ever spell in the Midland Football Alliance by finishing in fifth place and claiming the League Cup by defeatingBridgnorth Town following a dramatic penalty shoot-out after the final had finished in a 1–1 draw. The 2001–02 season began well with the lifting of the Joe McGorian Cup after a 2–1 victory at league champions Stourport Swifts, however in November 2001 the club parted company with Mark Harrison, with the former Bilston Town boss Joe Jackson taking over as manager. On the final Saturday of the season, the Glassboys were crowned champions in dramatic fashion as a last gasp stoppage time goal by Brian Gray earned the point needed at Stafford Town to pip Bromsgrove Rovers to the title. Although Serrell left the club the following January, to be succeeded as chairman by Stephen Hyde, Jackson once more led the club to the Midland Football Alliance championship in 2002–03, although promotion was refused due to the ground grading regulations in place at the time.
Jackson declined to try for a hat trick of titles in 2003–04 and was replaced by well-known local duo, Jon Ford and Gary Hackett, who had enjoyed two successful seasons in charge at Bromsgrove Rovers. With many players moving on, the new management team had to rebuild the side from scratch, but an encouraging second half of the season saw the Glassboys finish a creditable 9th. The following season saw a memorable run in the FA Vase, culminating in a quarter-final defeat at A.F.C. Sudbury in the quarter-final before finally succumbing to a 4–1 defeat after extra time. In May 2005 Hackett took sole charge of the team after Ford decided to step down due to work and family commitments. With the likely re-organisation of the non-league pyramid at Step 4 level, the club looked to mount a strong push for promotion, however a mixed start to the campaign left Stourbridge lying in mid-table by December. After a poor start, a run of 14 league games unbeaten was enough to clinch a runners-up spot and with it promotion back to the Southern League. Victories over Burton Albion and Moor Green also saw the team reach the Birmingham Senior Cup Final for the first time in 30 years, although they succumbed to a 1–0 defeat to Willenhall Town.
[edit]Back in the Southern League

Stourbridge's first season back in the Southern League Midlands Division in 2006–07 saw them finish in seventh place. The team also reached the final of the Worcestershire Senior Cup, but following a goal-less draw at Amblecote in the first leg of the final against Evesham United, they were beaten 2–1 after extra time away in the second leg to again suffer cup final disappointment.
The 2007–08 season saw Stourbridge seal a third place finish in the Midlands Division to reach the play-offs. A narrow 1–0 win at home to Sutton Coldfield Town took Stourbridge through to the final away at second placed Leamington and in front of a crowd of 1,634, a goal from Leon Broadhurst four minutes from the end of extra-time sealed a 2–1 victory to earn Stourbridge a second promotion in three seasons and a return to the Premier Division of the Southern League after a gap of 24 years.
After a difficult start to life in the Premier Division which saw Stourbridge lie at and around the foot of the table, they eventually acclimatised to life at the higher level and secured another season in the Premier Division with a final placing of 16th. Stourbridge also reached their third senior cup final in four seasons in a Birmingham Senior Cup run which included a 4–3 home win after extra-time over Wolverhampton Wanderers and a semi-final victory on penalties at Tamworth after a goal-less 120 minutes. However Stourbridge once again suffered heartbreak in the final as Hednesford Town defeated the Glassboys 2–0 at Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium.
In the 2009–10 season, Stourbridge reached the FA Cup first round for the first time in their 133 year history and were drawn at home to Walsall. The game ended in a 1–0 defeat for Stourbridge in front of 2,014 fans (the biggest gate at Amblecote for 35 years).
In the 2010–11 season, Hackett guided the club to eighth in the league after a solid season, and also the final of the Worcestershire Senior Cup, where they defeated Worcester City 2–0 at Aggborough Stadium. In the 2011–12 season, the club won their way through four qualifying rounds to again reach the first round of the FA Cup. They were drawn away to League Two side Plymouth Argyle where they drew 3–3 at Home Park to earn themselves a replay and a place in the second-round draw. The replay at the War Memorial Ground was chosen for live coverage by ESPN, netting the club over £33,000. Two temporary stands were erected and a highest crowd for 37 years of 2,519 attended the game that saw Stourbridge win 2–0 thanks to goals from Paul McCone and Sean Evans. The victory meant it was the first time the club had reached the Second Round of the competition, and the club were dealt a home tie against League One club Stevenage. The game ended 3–0 to Stevenage, with the game being played in front of 3,067 following the erection of a third temporary stand....

So this is my home club, my goal is to see how far I can get them.
Have never tried this as a story before, just my own little thing, so please follow and enjoy... (have never got them into the pro leagues)!!

Only using a data base which allows me to be this far down the english leagues. No other things added or taken away, will only use my own tactics... Sunday league rep to start...

If I get sacked the story will be over....

Reg updates as always and SS....

Any tips most welcome....

PRE-SEASON

Pre-season has gone very well.

View attachment 329999

Stourbridge F.C. as a club have no money. I have no transfer budget to play around with. First thing I did was request a parent club to get some extra funds in, the board agreed to look for one, but after a month of looking they said there were none! So we are left to look for other ways to increase our profits.

TRANSFERS
I have made some transfers as you can see they are free transfer or loans with no fees or wages due to lack of funds. Currently trying to get Luke Daniels from West Brom to come to us on loan for the season!!

View attachment 330002

STAFF

My backroom has been left untouched, we are not the greatest of coaches between us but hopefully we can progress together. One thing I have noticed though is they all seem pretty decent when working with youngsters, this may be an area to look at.

View attachment 330004

TACTICS/SQUAD

As I said I am using my own tactics and so far they seem to be working lets hope that is a sign of things to come! I dont have a big squad and with no money to invest I may have to offer some of my youth players contracts for back-up! What you see here is my team, no one in my reserves at all!!

View attachment 330005

We are expected to finish 18th this season, but the media feel I have a tough fight on to keep us up!
Now the real Stourbridge F.C. are sitting 2nd? So not sure why the game think we are going to fare so badly!!

Im hoping to get off to a good start...

By the way, how many steps outside the Football League are we talking about here?

presumably your first task will be to actually get a four sided stadium ;) #uptheyeltz

Good luck with it though

Grown a soft spot for Stourbridge after our fa cup clashes last season, good luck :)

Will be following this most definitely because Stourbridge is just down the road from me

AUGUST 2012

Not a bad start for Stourbridge. We played 4 games in the league. Winning 2, Drawing 1 and Losing 1.

View attachment 330400

Set us up nicely in the league

View attachment 330401

We are losing money still and due to not having any to use to buy or adjust wages it means a few of my players are on here on a day to day basis.. I lost Leon Broadhurst to Frickley Athletic simply due to not being able to offer him a decent wage. He was my center pin for the attacking midfielder role!!
Had to start using Jordan Fritzpatrick in the role, he his doing okay at the moment, but can tell he hasnt got the same ability as Leon.

YOUTH

Due to no money and a lack of players I have had to start looking at my Under 18s! None of them have contracts, so cant tell what their ability or potential is.
Needed a left midfielder for the one game so I took a punt on this lad.

View attachment 330403

Now I know he aint ever going to be a world beater, but the first signs are promising! His first game saw him get a goal and man of the match! Which made it hard to drop him for the next game, he did well in that one as well. So maybe I will have a closer look at my youth!

Next month sees Stourbridge play 7 league games!! With such a small squad and playing at this level I am a tad worried the fitness levels may get a hammering, then comes the potential of over playing the lads and risking injury!!
Oh the joy of management

A solid start, if you keep that up play offs may be your ambition rather than relegation.

Liking the look of this! I admire all that take this kind of challenge on. Its been a couple of years since i managed at this level. Found three subs very restrictive!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

SEPTEMBER 2012

LEAGUE

WON 1 DRAWN 4 LOST 1

FA CUP 2ND QUAL RND

WON

View attachment 331151

All in all not a bad month. As you can see my problem is that we cant score! I can soak up pressure when up against the better teams, have 60% possession when playing smaller teams but just cant make it count in front of goal at the moment!
Was pleased to get the win in the FA Cup game, played them at the right time though as they were sitting well down their league, my next game in the FA Cup 3rd Qual Rnd is against a very strong Hednesford Town. I fear we may not progress far this season! Could do with the money that comes a from a run in the Cup though!

This is the League Table as of end of September

View attachment 331153

PLAYERS/PLAYER OF THE MONTH
Have got a couple of injuries to key players going into October, my new attacking midfielder is out for 2 months, so will have to do some re-jiggin of the team!
My best player this month was this lad in the middle of my defence

View attachment 331154

OCTOBER 2012

LEAGUE

WON 2 DRAWN 1 LOST 0

FA CUP 3RD QUAL RND

WON

FA CUP 4TH QUAL RND

LOST

SOUTHERN LEAGUE CUP 2ND RND

DRAW

SOUTHERN LEAGUE CUP 2ND RND REPLAY

WON

View attachment 331342

A busy month! A great win away to Hednesford set me up for a game against Gosport in the FA Cup, had beaten them in the league only a few days before but got it totally wrong on the day! Rested some of my better players, also changed my team talk and paid the price! Well gutted because we should have won and the extra money was helping no end!
The Southern League Cup will bring in some money through gates and winning games, but I only got £200 for the win against Mangotsfield, compared to the £7.5k I got for winning against Hednesford!

Doing well in the league though and have a couple of games in hand over most.

View attachment 331343

Dont really have any player of the month this month no one really stood out. I have taken a punt on signing another of my youth players and signed a young lad on a free

View attachment 331344 youth player
View attachment 331345 free player

Our wage bill now stands at £682 over each week, however I have still made a profit so far this season of £3k. But that will take a knock now I havent got FA Cup money coming in. My job status at the moment is very secure despite this so hope the good form runs on.....

just read through your story very interesting wonder how long it'd actually take to get them in the top flight :) keep up the good work

NOVEMBER 2012

LEAGUE

WON 2 DRAWN 2 LOST 2

SOUTHERN LEAGUE CUP 3RD RND

LOST

Not the best month this month we have had bit of blip, went 5 games without a win! Had altered my tactic slightly in two of those, but changed that back to normal style of play in the last league game with a win at home, so hopefully that will give us a boost!!

RESULTS/SCORERS

View attachment 331921

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 331922

IN FORM MAN

View attachment 331924

Still pushing on for a play-off spot at this stage of the season is pretty good going for a team meant for the drop! I think the x-mas period will define which way we are going! With such a small squad it hard keeping everyone fit, thats without injuries...

Not to bothered at the moment about not many goals being scored, I am playing counter attacking football so if I win one nil from now till the end of the season then great, what I do worry about is my keeper! He is one of the worst in the league!

View attachment 331925

DECEMBER 2012

LEAGUE

WON 2 DRAWN 3 LOST 2

We are keeping up there! Some good results, just havent the got the squad strength to get me through the fixture congestion! Drop my points when I have to play more youngsters than I would like!

View attachment 331940

LEAGUE TABLE

Table still looks pretty good though

View attachment 331946

CONTRACTS

The new year is upon us, I have no money and the board predict that will get worse over the coming months! I now have a few contracts ending but with no budget, dont think I am going to get many to re-sign!

View attachment 331958

If I cant get my better players to sign up I may well find myself losing them to other teams and then slipping down the table!

JANUARY 2013

LEAGUE

WON 4 DRAWN 0 LOST 1

Oh what a month really playing some good at the moment! Team seems to have clicked just at the right time!

View attachment 331964

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 331966

So we have played one more game than most, but the pressure is on them to make sure they win!! Best win for me personally was the one over Cambridge!!

View attachment 331974

Counter attacking football at its best! They really out played us!

I tried to offer my better players new contracts but to no avail, they all want more than the board will allow!!

Can Stourbridge really get promotion with Marsh as their manager at the first time of asking?

Stay tuned..

Only 2 games in Feb so it will be a Feb/March update next...