SilverSpy

Reaction score
Shadow strikers in a strikerless and wingless formation were OP in FM17. We tested that on the FM18 match engine and it still delivers. You need quality shadow strikers & wing backs for best results.

This tactic hasn't been massively tested as you can see from the screenshots below, this was tested in the National North with Blyth and a team that wasn't fully accomplished in the roles. Judging by the results and that fact alone, the formation we used on FM17, looks to still be very strong and some of you can test it with the more known clubs.

Strikers who aren't natural at the shadow striker role will obviously perform at 70% of their actual ability, which is why it's important from the off to either sign natural shadow strikers or retrain strikers in the shadow striker role. This can take a few weeks but if the player is extremely good it will definitely be worth it. Head over to your individual training and set your striker to "shadow striker".

If your striker has no rating for a shadow striker, obviously you need to decide if to train him into a shadow striker, this can take longer but if the player is extremely good, it's worth it.

Both the wing backs are extremely important positions in this tactic, they contribut greatly to attacking and defensive duties, they get tired very quick so having sufficient back ups is vital.

This tactic on FM17 took us from National South to the Premier League with Whitehawk consecutively and we also finished 2nd in our 1st season in the Premier League.
BFFs4.png

BFIt5.md.png

BFr8t.md.png

View attachment 79389

Wtf I'd rather go strikerless than crossing the **** out of ME year after year.

Whatever works for me. Don't care about the shape. This looks strong so far for me

I don't understand the hate for this. If it works then who cares? If you don't like it then move along, there are many other tactics to choose from.

Yeah, I'd rather have strikerless tactics/ME than 90 crosses per game tactics/ME.

Fwiw right now so called 'strikerless' tactics are the best way to recreate real life, modern strikers pressing and off the ball movement. Strikers in FM tend to stay way up the pitch and at best they can close down centre backs. Strikers on attack duty are particularly disconnected from any form of team pressing, and also tend to accumulate an insane number of offsides (good luck if they have that particular PPM). Keep in mind that in FM the base formation you see is actually (mostly) the defensive shape of the tactic, so I'd argue that while not ideal any vaguely realistic tactic that rely on collective pressing should actually be strikerless in FM.

Let's stop the hate on strikerless!

At the end of the day if you don't like this kind of tactic just browse to a thread for a formation you do like.
I'm not keen on 4231 as AML and AMR haven't been working like I feel they should (tracking back issues) but I wouldn't go on a thread for a 4231 and discredit it based on that. If it did turn out to be good I'd just use it.
Can't blame strikerless tactics because they were the only consistent tactic in fm17. The blame is with the match engine for not being viable for any other formation.

The point is it was just way 2 overpowered in fm17.
Playing an online save 4 example was no fun cause u almsot could never win vs strikerless...
Hopefully this years match engine works better

Yeah, I'd rather have strikerless tactics/ME than 90 crosses per game tactics/ME.
Same,i dont like this formation because its kinda bug last year but its certainly better than tons of crosses.

Yeah fm17 wasn't an awful match engine but it certainly favored a few options over others

I'm quite sure if this was a TFF-tactic their would be a lot less hateful reactions

The point is it was just way 2 overpowered in fm17.
Playing an online save 4 example was no fun cause u almsot could never win vs strikerless...
Hopefully this years match engine works better

Does that make the tactic overpowered or human managers not smart enough to beat strikerless? Which it is, very much so even.