Strikers, crosses and scoring

klaasvd79

Reaction score
hello again,

Some question offcourse.
I will post the attributes of my attackers, could someone tell me who they would put in the team(4-4-2) so 2 strikers, and which orders. I now play Jalloh and Clifford, with Jalloh as Target man.

As you can see they don't score much, far to less, but im standing 9th in de Blue Square Premier league. I have a good defence and midfield(who also score).

Secondly how do i get more crosses in from my 2 side midfielders. They are set on often on crosses, but when they attack they really often just keep dribbling into the penalty area and loose ball due a bad pass. Do i have to put passing on long for them or put run with ball on low??

Thanks for answering

Whether the player passes or dribbles is sometimes down to the player, but you can influence this by setting your width to wider and by telling them to dribble less frequently. Tell them to cross from the byline too.

Are you watching the match on full or in highlights? Highlights mode won't tell you just how many crosses they are getting in, it will only show moments of 'interest'. So it could be that they are trying to get crosses in but having no success. If this is true, then consider having your fullbacks play in a more attacking fashion and overlapping to get the balls in as your widemen might not have the skill or ability to beat their man to make crosses on their own.

Hmm, i always look at the home stats, where you can see the crosses made. I think it's rather low. So should i put foward runs on often and run with ball on half, would that make more crosses instead of driblling in the penalty area?? and i have now passing set on direct for the side midfielders.

I think in 21 matches 6 goals is not much, they miss to often, also clear cut chances while in my opinion i have pretty decent player for the BSP league.

how would you let them play Jalloh and Clifford, or would you field other players. With or without targetman. the tactical guide is helpfull, but i can tweak what i want and try for a couple of matches but nothing seems to work.

I beat a coca-cola league 1 team with 3-0 away, but i only win 1-0 of a team which isn't in league playable.

Forward runs often, crossing often, dribbling mixed, and cross from byline should get good crossers of the ball putting the ball in more frequently - also set your team's width to as wide as you feel comfortable doing, the wider it is the more dangerous you'll be attacking but obviously the less defensively sound you'll be. Some wide men aren't good at crossing by the way - you'll see a lot of teams will have one player who stays wide and the other winger will cut in a lot.

Are you using different forms of your tactics for different teams and how they play against you? If you're beating bigger teams 3-0, teams of your level will start to play defensively against you and so you'll score less against them. Try a control variation of your tactic in that circumstance as that should build up sufficient pressure to get you chances to score more.

All my wingers are 10 or higher on crossing, dribbling and flair, so should be good enough. Yes i use different tactics, against bigger teams some more defensive, dependig on how they play.

Controlling tactic, i should use more short passing and no forward arrows, just play the ball around till they find a spot right??.

What would be the best target man, Jalloh or Clifford?? And what's the difference between a FC and a ST player, they do play at the same position right, or does the FC drop behind the ST?

greetz

i found that if a striker is quick, set him up as a target man..and supply the target man with 'to run onto' or through ball or whatever its called lol
also...check if the oppositions DC and GK have low composure if so,, set 'opposition instructions' to them as closing down always. i found that they make more mistakes and you get more chances.

All my wingers are 10 or higher on crossing, dribbling and flair, so should be good enough. Yes i use different tactics, against bigger teams some more defensive, dependig on how they play.

Controlling tactic, i should use more short passing and no forward arrows, just play the ball around till they find a spot right??.

What would be the best target man, Jalloh or Clifford?? And what's the difference between a FC and a ST player, they do play at the same position right, or does the FC drop behind the ST?

greetz

Control tactics aren't quite as simple as that. I'll quote from the TT&F to give you some more idea (remember though that passing needs to be longer the further down the league you go - asking your centrebacks to play one touch passing with eg BSP sides is asking for trouble :D)

The Control Match Strategy

The Control Match Strategy sits between the Standard and Attacking mentality systems and has two options for deployment. The first is to slow down a match that should already be won, generally playing keep ball whilst still being able to gently probe in the final third when space opens up. The second is when a more patient approach is deemed to be necessary against a team that is sitting back and trying to frustrate. Closing down is more cautious than in Attacking strategies in order to entice the opposition out of their defensive comfort zone and free up some space. For both options, the manager has to best decide how to employ Defend, Support and Attack roles. As midfield possession is the priority, six players can be given support roles in a 2-6-2 pattern. However, should the manager prefer a more aggressive Control Strategy, a 2-5-3, 2-4-4, or 3-3-4 split should be used. For a more cautious approach, employ a 3-5-2 or 3-6-1 split.

Tactical Instructions

* Mentality System: Normal – Mid Attacking
* Player Roles: 2-3 Defend, 3-6 Support, 2-4 Attack
* Closing Down: Normal – Low Often
* Passing Pattern: Defend (low-mixed), Support (mixed), Attack (low-direct)
* Tempo: Normal
* Width: Wide
* Time Wasting: Low
* Tackling: Normal
* Focus Passing: Mixed/Down the Flanks
* Marking: Defend & Support (Tight/Man), Attack (Loose/Zonal)
* Creative Freedom: Defend (Low), Support (Normal), Attack (High)
* Free Roles: Attack (one-two)
* Counter Attack: No
* Play Offside: Optional

Hmm thanks, i know it's more difficult than that, i always try to simpify things to better understand. I asked my central Defenders to play an simple passing game, in 24 matches i have 19 goals against, which is good, but only 35 goals made.

I use your tactics with some tweaks, but the control never really worked, i'll try again.

Thanks, i only have fast strikers;)

It's just about tailoring the tactics to your team. I use pre-season for that and the occasional match against a team I should beat comfortably, watch it in full for 10 minutes. See what's working, what's not. Tinker a bit, play another 10 minutes, rinse repeat. I actually have about 5 or 6 different versions of control tactics - some defensive to see games out, some fairly attacking, some only a little less attacking than the attack variant.

If you're using any of my tactics, I tend to put the wingers on a free role. If you're having real trouble with them not getting down the wings properly, remove the free roles and that will help. Some players don't use free roles effectively.

I will play with that some more again, the wingers.

But whats the difference between FC and ST in game. Is it position or something else?? Cause i've i selecte my team it are always ST's not FC's

FCs tend to play the free role better than most STs. STs in the main (although there are exceptions - you'd have to search the editor and check for players with a high rating for free role) don't do very well with a free role. So FCs are more likely to be a better option as a deep lying striker with a free role. Of course, it depends on the specific player, but it's a general rule of thumb which works.

That's the only difference I see between them at the moment.

Hmm okay, cause Jon Main(look at screenies) is a forward centre, this means he would be the better deep lying striker, and Jalloh or Clifford as more attacking striker?

But they both stand on te same position in the field??

It's the mentality of the player which determines where he stands on the pitch. :) All the circle tells you is where the start point is for working out where he will stand after you've put his mentality on :)

Try an experiment to get to grips with it. Set one winger to maximum attacking mentality, and one to maximum defensive mentality and see where each one will be on the pitch. The same thing holds true for every position. So if you give one forward a lower mentality than the other, he will be 'deeper' - how deep depends on what mentality you give him.

Jon Main may naturally be better with a free role. Usually this is the deeper forward who has more freedom to move about while the more advanced forward will be an out and out goal scorer taking the chances created by his creative partner. But, and it's a big but, he may not be because his 'hidden' free role rating may actually be worse than that of another player rated as an ST. The only way to find out is to check with an editor or to play him and see how well he does with a free role. He also may be good with a free role and still be hopeless as a player so you might after all be better off playing without him and having no free roles up front. :D

Hope that made sense.