Coupdhaha

Reaction score
Has anybody noticed that in orders for strikers to be effective with crosses coming in, they need to be super-brave dude?

I have tried getting Welbeck (15 strength, super fast, 14 jumping, 16 finish and composure) and Hernandez (16 anticipation, super fast, 18 finish and 16 composure) to score from crosses and I don't think they've of them would have scored even 10 goals from crosses in 2 and a half seasons.

However, recently I had a breakthrough whenI chucked Rooney in the striker position, with his 19 bravery. Scored 3 against West Ham and 2 against Aston Villa. Whilst not all these goals were from crosses in, he looked a **** more likely to score from the crosses coming in than either Welbeck or Hernandez.

I have my crosses set to "drilled" as I thought this would help my fast strikers beat the defenders. But no such luck until now.

This had lead me to believe that it's vital for strikers, esp. playing by themselves upfront, to be brave in order from them to challenge with the defenders.

Thoughts?

From the FM13 online manual:

Bravery - How committed and indeed, brave, a player is. Braver players will risk injury more in situations a lesser-minded player may shy away from. They'll go in where it hurts and lay it on the line for the team.

Anticipation and Off The Ball are also very important (although if I remember correctly OTB is more about the movement the player makes).

yep. Completely understand that.

Which is why it's perplexing how Henandez with his 16 Ant and 19 OffTB can't score from crosses. I'm talking drilled crosses so it should negate his poor jumping ability.

Yeah, in my game Rooney is 32 but his Anticipation is the same as Hernandez's (17) so I guess they're not that different. The PPMs don't really explain anything either.

The only stat I've noticed (and being a few years into the game stats will differ) is Hernandez's decisions attribute being lower which is important to finishing (although I'm not sure how relevant this is to crossing).

Last edited:
Thing is Rooney is stronger and has much better mental stats than them both (granted Welbeck has the same strength but the rest of his stats are much weaker). It's a mixture of them all coming into play, Rooney will always come out on top because all the things needed come out in his favour every time.

Plus some teams are better suited to defending crosses than others, so hard to judge based on a few games.