RandomGimp47

Reaction score
I'm in dire need of some help!! I started the FM-Base £50,000,000 challenge and have continued into the second season. In the first season i had Christian Benitez, Jo and Leigh Giffiths as back up. Both Jo and Benitez gave me quite a good return. This season having added Neymar to the mix, none of my striker can score for love nor money, tis really starting to get on my nerves!!! I'm in February and Neymar has 2 gls, Jo - 2 gls and Benitez 7. I've tried everything i can think of with the strikers, ie changing roles, swapping positions, changing formations. Can anyone suggest anything i could be doing wrong or a good formation for smaller EPL teams that might get the goals flowing a little more.

Any help would be appreciated as i am on the verge of breakdown here!!

It's hard to score in general in the EPL, the goalies are godly for some reason. What I notice is that having one amazing striker is useless, it's incredibly hard to score one one ones even with through balls. I am usually top 2-4 in number of goals in EPL and here's somethings I do.

Try a 4-5-1 with Wingers and a AMC. Wingers and AMC should be set to attack. If you can sign Ben Arfa from Newcastle, he's amazing. Preferably you want fast wingers with good dribbling. The point is to get the ball to their side of the pitch as much as possible. My wingers actually score more than Neymar, a lot of the times Neymar smashes the ball into the GK who either blocks or fumbles. My winger is usually hanging around and finishes it.

neymar maybe amc trequarista ? could work or he did better for me on the left wing back in my shakhtar days

Have the same problem with my west ham team, specially with carlton cole. 14 games already and 4 goals. Dont know whats wrong i tried everything. So i got Ernesta Farias for about 2 mill. He already scored 3 goals in 2 matches and got 2 assists. Maybe i need to sell Carlton Cole? This is my first season with west ham, In 8th place - 29 january

they're broken.

odds are, the AI has read your tactics and knows how to counter your threat.
shake up your tactics, give the players time to adjust to their new roles.
also, don't forget to criticize poor performances or even threaten to transfer list them unless performances improve.

EDIT:
also, for a tactic. a good one i use is a 4-5-1 set as:

gk (defend)
dr (fullback, support) - dc (defender, cover, defend) - dc (defender, stopper, defend) - dl (fullback, support)
dmcr (anchorman, defend) - dmcl (def.mid, support)
amr (inside forward/winger, attack) - amc (att. mid, support) - aml (playmaker, attack)
ST (complete forward/poacher/advanced fwd, attack)​
rigid, standard, shorter passing, closing down, drill crosses, stick to position - all else on default
and bob's your uncle.

Last edited:
the AI doesnt "break" tactics, you dont need to shake up your tactics, you do need to teak your approach

stop chopping and changing all the time, its about small tweaks

try Leigh Griffiths, or for the team talk of 'you have faith' or 'no pressure' :D hope this helps! :)

the AI doesnt "break" tactics, you dont need to shake up your tactics, you do need to teak your approach

stop chopping and changing all the time, its about small tweaks

i was always under the impression that the AI "broke" tactics after using them for too long (ie more than a season). something new every day.
but tweaking the tactics/approach is what i meant by "shake up the tactics".

i was always under the impression that the AI "broke" tactics after using them for too long (ie more than a season).

Ive used the same tactic for 3 years, and I have won 3 promotions on the bounce. So that doesn't mean a thing.

I had a couple of problems with Priskin in my save. He never scored for 3 months. I left him out for a couple of games, started him again and ended up fininshing the joint top scorer. As Mike said, try and keep a settled team for a while. Then make minor changes. Try playing a friendly in a mid week game against poor opposition. (Make sure you manage the team) and play your best strikers and midfield. That might help their confidence in scoring .

Ive used the same tactic for 3 years, and I have won 3 promotions on the bounce. So that doesn't mean a thing.

I had a couple of problems with Priskin in my save. He never scored for 3 months. I left him out for a couple of games, started him again and ended up fininshing the joint top scorer. As Mike said, try and keep a settled team for a while. Then make minor changes. Try playing a friendly in a mid week game against poor opposition. (Make sure you manage the team) and play your best strikers and midfield. That might help their confidence in scoring .

maybe because your playing new teams each year? if you was in one same league the teams would become prone to it :)

No the AI doenst, i have used the same tactic since fm10, season after season, i use the shouts to teask my approach depending of the opposition, if you are having lots of quick shots, going wide/saved, yet the AI is getting one or two and putting them away, then its becuase he is playing counter, soaking up pressure, and closing you down into taking rushed shots, then breaking away while you are committed up front. this is where i switch to control/retain possession, stretch the play, get him chasing me everywhere and tiring him oyt, taking fewer but better quality chances on goal.

i recently destroyed chelsea doing exactly that

No the AI doenst ...
i recently destroyed chelsea doing exactly that

Makes perfect sense.
Don't get me wrong, I've not had problems with my tactics - I think and plan them out on paper well before committing them to the game and eight of ten will work well "right out of the box".
However, the thing I've read most often is "be careful the AI doesn't read your tactic". Because of that, I just came to think that that was what happened and never bothered putting much thought to it. Having grown up with primitive AI's that remember your moves and block against them (mortal kombat on the Genesis/Megadrive comes to mind), this is my instinctive opinion of all game AI's to date.
It makes more sense that my tactics will be broken if i play one tactic all the time without changing things in-game and come across a manager who has a 20 in tactical knowledge and so forth.

Makes perfect sense.
Don't get me wrong, I've not had problems with my tactics - I think and plan them out on paper well before committing them to the game and eight of ten will work well "right out of the box".
However, the thing I've read most often is "be careful the AI doesn't read your tactic". Because of that, I just came to think that that was what happened and never bothered putting much thought to it. Having grown up with primitive AI's that remember your moves and block against them (mortal kombat on the Genesis/Megadrive comes to mind), this is my instinctive opinion of all game AI's to date.
It makes more sense that my tactics will be broken if i play one tactic all the time without changing things in-game and come across a manager who has a 20 in tactical knowledge and so forth.

think of it this way, if you tweak and use opposition instructions, so will the ai.

If the tactic is a very well built one then it will largely play very well, with very few changes needed. iTs the less weill built obes, and nes that rely on exploits that fall apart

Just put Griffiths up front as a poacher and he will bang them in. Trust.

Put 3 strikers, with benitez deep lying striker, neymar as trequartista, and jo as poacher