sharpy33

Reaction score
I'm having lots of trouble playing against this tactic, no matter what I seem to do, changing positions, tactics, shouts, teamtalks, it seems to have no bearing on how my team performs, always overrun in midfield. I have even tried to neutralize the AM alas to no avail. Any body got any clues?

Play 4 at the back 1 defensive mid to deal with the am and 4 midfielders play 1 striker

1. Play 451.
2. Make the central mf a dm/anchor man and have him to man mark their am.
3. Their am - from OIs close down always/tackle hard/weaker foot
4. One of the wing players should be an IF and the player behind him should be a wb Auto or even ATTACK.
5. Try having the other cms as dlp defence and ap support.

Alternatively play a 4141 with the first "1" being set up as above (and am closed down as above) and the wingers man marking their wingers and shout look for overlap and maybe exploit the flanks.

Last edited:
Play a 4-4-1-1 as well but score more?

Sounds like a good DM or two would solve your problems defensively. Can't really say much without knowing what you're already playing, key players, etc.

I played a 4-5-1 but made it into a 4-1-3-1-1 after going 2-1 down with 20 mins left and totally turned the game on its head with a 3-2 win

I'm using 4-2-3-1 with 2 CMs. I'm using high-pressing tactic. push higher up, high defensive line, stuck in, hassle opponent. so far so good. it minimizes the space for the Treq in 4-4-1-1 to work into. well, often he gets the ball, but could do minimum influence as he'd be tackled by my Jones or Evans. even if he could do something, it's still far away from my net.

I played a 4-5-1 but made it into a 4-1-3-1-1 after going 2-1 down with 20 mins left and totally turned the game on its head with a 3-2 win

Thats what I meant by "play 451 but make the DM an Anchorman" tho perhaps I wasnt that clear: I meant pull him back to sit in front of your back four, occupy the space their am will operate on and man mark him.

Glad it worked for you.

Actually I find that any formation using an am is very easy to combat as there is a very clear indication where the threat will be coming from so its easy to nullify. I find it much more difficult to combat the formation I told you to play: a 451 with a mf sitting deep.