Ghents

Reaction score
As the title says, I'm struggling bad against 4231s using the below tactic. Anyone have any tips for adjustments against 4231s?

b4D3Bie.png

OuawDbT.png

I've uploaded the tactic if anyone wants to try it, as well. View attachment 181601

Last edited:
Bruma is inconsistent. Shelvey and Sissoko can't really help your defence. You should use one truly ball winning midfielder.
Why use defensive mentality? You will never win with this mentality. I suggest to switch to counter. Deselect "Work Box Into Box", this is not good when you have to pass quickly to the strikers and they have to shoot at once, because they will not have too many opportunities. When you counter-attack, many times your most advanced player is alonem in the enemy's box and haven't good option to pass.

Also against 4231 you could use a different formation, something with a defensive midfielder, like 4-1-4-1. The defensive midfielder would be very useful to prevent their AMC to pass directly to their striker. If you insist to use 4-4-2, you could try only against 4231 or 4411 to use a partnership of stopper and cover for your center backs. Also you have to play not so narrow because you let their wingers to advance and cross from byline.

Another thing, when you play defensive or counter you should deselect "Prevent Short GK Distribution" because this makes your player to closing down very soon in the opponent's half and it stretches your team. With these mentalities you should wait your adversary in your half and when you get the ball, you should through it quickly to your strikers, before the whole defensive gets in place.

I didn't read past when you typed you can't win with defensive mentality.

Why is your CM/D not covering for the attacking fullback?

Who's finding space in the 4-2-3-1? The AMC?

Yes it is the AMC mostly, and I don't know why the CM-D isn't on the FB-A side. There's one oversight I'll flip.

Yes it is the AMC mostly, and I don't know why the CM-D isn't on the FB-A side. There's one oversight I'll flip.
Next to look at then is why he is finding space and why the CM/D isn't on him. Is he pushing up to cover another player's area? Tbh, I don't see that this is the case though.

I see you don't have tight marking selected, so using an OI instruction on the AMC might also help. Otherwise it'll be important to see where he is finding space. With that mentality, you'll be very deep. Are your midfielders also dropping very deep or not? May be worth thinking about pushing the D-Line up slightly to compress the space between the lines. You could also think about using a more Fluid Team Shape, which sees the different strata operate closer together as their mentalities will be closer to each other.

Swapped to use tighter marking and slightly higher in the TI and fluid and beat Spurs 2-0, they used a 4231 and seemed to do a much better job of keeping track of Erikson (AMC).I noticed the CM-D making a lot more interceptions and break ups, though he only had a 6.7 rating, he did exactly what I was hoping he would.

Glad it's looking better now!