Struggling against smaller teams, Southampton 2014-15

siika012

Reaction score
Hey managers!

I know it's been a problem for many but I've really been struggling against smaller teams lately and I'm really out of ideas on what to do to help it so I've decided to turn to you guys!

I'm currently playing as Southampton 2014-2015 season and I'm doing just fine against the big teams, usually beating them, but the small teams are starting to cause me a headache now. My squad is already pretty good so they tend to park the bus and I can't seem to score from anywhere.

Here's some screenshots of my squad and tactics

View attachment 464619

View attachment 464618

usually in the matches I'm having around 60% possession and tons of shots, even a fair few CCC's but the players are just unable to score. I'm usually conceding crom corners ,free kicks or crosses. The possession is mostly in the midfield though so there might be one of my problems. Just haven't managed to solve it yet.

Any help will be much appreciated!

NOTE: that's the tactic I'm using against smaller teams, have a bit more defence oriented one for the big guys.

Give your players some more creative freedom. Player like Julian Draxler, Will Hughes and even defensive players like Alonso will benefit loads from this. Especially against smaller clubs. An important thing I find is trying to find the right tempo and passing. I would go for a relatively high tempo with a quite short passing. This would mean you completely dominate the other team, by keeping the ball but putting high pressure on them. Btw how much was Draxler? Is he good for you? Hope I helped!

Smaller teams will know they are smaller teams so will sit back knowing you will press, hoping to nic a goal by hitting you on the counter or from a set piece. If you play a passing game against a compressed midfield/defense chances are your players get frustrated and shoot long. This is where I employ reverse psychology, I often start deep and playing counter attack myself (well its a kind of rigid hybrid tika-taka/counter) drawing opposition player out of their defensive posture and do to them what they have planned for me. Counter them. Just because they are a smaller team don't mean they pose no threat. For instance: Man U vs Best Brom last week, Utd went down 1-2 at home!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, have a Blackburn away game next which should be a perfect game to test these out!

I got Draxler for €24M in the 13-14 season, Schalke had dropped down to 14th place in the Bundesliga and he wanted out. I was playing in the Champions League then and strangely no other club placed a bid for him so i was able to sign him. He had a pretty quiet half a season after the transfer while settling in, he's been a beast this season though and I'm sure he'll continue to improve.

Mitre Delta's "reverse psychology" approach seems to have worked at least for now! I played the game 2 times using a deeper defensive line and a bit more defensive approach overall, i watched both of the games and saw no threatening counter attacks from my opponent and thus no dangerous set pieces either. I obviously didn't create as much chances as before but enough to score a few and clinch the win both times. Results were 3-1 and 3-0. Thanks guys, hopefully it'll work from now on as well :)