Struggling clubs guide (2nd, 3rd tier) e.g Doncaster rovers

stothy862

Reaction score
I, as a fan of Doncaster Rovers have decided to create a guide to help other users if this club or clubs in a similar position. This is because I feel there isn't a sufficient one already available. I will talk about Doncaster team but most things apply to other teams.

Formation
The most importrant part of a good team is the formation. I have devisded one around Doncaster's current style of play as I admire there simplicity and passing style. I chose to work with the 442 diamond as I could use a DM playmaker with, Coppinger as a dangerous AM.

Corners
Something I have succeeded with since FM08 in scoring from corners. On average I score just under 1 per game from a corner and sometimes up to 4! This has not changed in FM10 but ensures you have the right players for the job.

First of all you need to set both left and right corner taking to the 6 yard box. Both full backs then need to be set to stay back. First CB should be set to challenge keeper and the other to near post flick on. These two MUST have high heading, jumping and strength. See New signings for the bets players for the job. Set your DM to attack the ball from deep and your wingers to Lurk outside the area. Your AM should offer a short option and one attacker attack from deep and the other attacking the far post.

This not only will offer you a good scoring opertunity but your defence are more likely to score which has no real benifit at all but always nice to see

Tactic
My tactic is difficult to describe so I will just upoload it so you can look yourself! It's not perfect yet but I have beaten Middlesbrough 3-1 away from home with it. I will work on tinkering. Any advice apreciated! I have a vague idea of how I want my Home and Away tactic to work as you can see. Please feel free to offer advice on how to change this. My main problem at the moment is complacency. How can I avoid this?

New signings
The major problem with Donny is their RB, I am still yet to find a suitable replacement so please help me if you find someone, preferably a loan player as my wages budget is short. All I've got at this moment in time is Man U loan player Ritchie De Laet, not perfect, but covers the whole back 4. In the second season a good player is Danny Simpson on free transfer, does a brilliant job and irreplacable!

The next big problem is GK, Sulivan is old and Smith is nowhere near ready! Like in the last 3 games, the best replacement is Ian Walker from free transfer, he is free and does an amazing job! Ironic as he knocked us out of the league cup with Bolton a few years ago! Mickaël Fabre is better than Walker but 500k and only 25! Jamie Ashdown comes on free in the second season though.

Now we have the big gap Matt Mills has left. Shackell does an amazing job at covering for him, but we still are short of someone to go by his side, Lockwood and Hird are not perfect for this job in this league but work as good backups. I reccomend you sign Campbell off free transfer, amazing player for free again! He will not join straight away so you will need to take him on trial first and then sign him. Another solid defender to sign is Matthew Booth, only 120k and he is solid as a rock! Both of these together offer an amazing pertnership with Shackell and co ready to backup!

Now moving on to LB, Roberts is old and needs replacing fast, so I signed Charlie Mulgrew. This signing I take 2nd most pride over. He cost me a meer 1mil in monthly installments and is very consistant!

Stock does an amazing job in DM but if he gets injured you are stuffed. Loan player Darren Gibson does an amazing job so sign him!

You need to sign a new winger, you have some good players but noone to fill in RM with Copps in AM, though Shiels does just aswell there. I would sign Andy Van Der Meyde, free transfer and again great player.

Attack is a major problem at Donny and finally I have solved the problem! Kikin Fonseca, this is my pride signing, for only 800k you pick up a goal machine. Do in monthly installments and you are fine! Great player, reccomended for any side! If you are outbid then I suggest you sign Ángel Luis Rodríguez or just Ángel for short and he is only 22. Hannes Sigurðsson partners him well too.

They are all fairly old so I suggest picking up some youngster the season after.

I have intergrated some youths into this now, see what you think of them!

Thanks for reading this post! I hope you can help me with the last few adjustments I need to make this perfect.

Current results
juy9up.png

2v0ixea.png

As you can see, decent not amazing, hopefully I can improve on this with your help!

TACTICS V1!

TACTICS V2 Home

TACTIC V2 Away

Last edited:
I play a similar corner tactic to yours and Ryan Shawcross who is my centre back has scored 8 goals this season :D

Thanks for the comment mate! :D

I am currently working on fine tuning it for Favorite and Under dog!

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Need help stopping complacency!!

I have updated the tactics

please try them!

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Played 1 game with Donny against middlesbrough away and won 3-1;)