pyeduke

Reaction score
Firstly I'll start with an apology. For some reason the forum has deemed my initial post to be too long, so I'm going to post it in instalments. Here goes...

I'm struggling for consistency on FM 16. My form varies wildly every few games. I cannot get a good run going for the life of me.

I'm currently in 2021 as Burnley, playing my first season in the Champions League. I've done OK so far, but given the players I've got I should be doing better. If I'm totally honest, I only qualified for the Champions League because the other teams around me were so bad.

For example, I recently went on a decent run, culminating with a 4-0 defeat of Barcelona. In the following 6 games I only win once, including a two draws and a defeat at home to West Ham, Villa and Swansea. I get that teams go through dips in form in real life, but this happens consistently throughout the season. I never seem to get a really good run of form going.

I was wondering if anyone can spot any major issue with my tactics? I've spent a lot of time looking at player roles and preferred moves etc to see if I can get the best out of my players, but I can't get them going. I've got some quality players who just never seem to perform on a regular basis. They'll get a rating of 8, followed by three 6s.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post my team and tactics below.

It's all VERY tippy tappy. All passes to feet. All very short. All with very little time to consider options. If you're going to do that, make sure you have players who are technically and mentally very good. I also see you only have one player you rely on for goals. What happens when he's marked out of the game, isolated for long periods or has an off day?

Would you suggest a more direct approach?

I've tried various different roles for my three attacking midfielders but I can't get them firing. I think my issue might be that I can't get the best out of my three advanced midfielders, which ultimately means my team never performs to their potential. They continually average below 7, despite me playing them in roles that they appear suited to. Januzaj in particular is bang average, which is really frustrating because I know others have managed to get him playing amazing.

I've tried every role there is and he just plays average.

Would you suggest a more direct approach?

I've tried various different roles for my three attacking midfielders but I can't get them firing. I think my issue might be that I can't get the best out of my three advanced midfielders, which ultimately means my team never performs to their potential. They continually average below 7, despite me playing them in roles that they appear suited to. Januzaj in particular is bang average, which is really frustrating because I know others have managed to get him playing amazing.

I've tried every role there is and he just plays average.
Your entire tactic requires some thought.

Why do you have 3 playmakers?

Again, if the AF/A is not firing for whatever reason, who is going to score goals here? Who'll be a threat in the box?

How are you supplying these goalscorers?

How do you want to build up? Quick and direct? Slow, building from the back and patient? Etc.

To be honest I don't really have a preference on how my team plays. I just want something that's effective.

The reason I have three playmakers is because they're three of my best players and their best roles are as playmakers. If i alter their roles they don't play great. So now I'm thinking I need to change my personnel.

Interestingly this afternoon I've spent some time replaying the same game a few times with different tactics. The match in question is away at Swansea. I've just tried playing in a counter-attacking style using advice I read in another thread. I was losing 3-0 by half time lol.

I'll keep tweaking.

To be honest I don't really have a preference on how my team plays. I just want something that's effective.

The reason I have three playmakers is because they're three of my best players and their best roles are as playmakers. If i alter their roles they don't play great. So now I'm thinking I need to change my personnel.

Interestingly this afternoon I've spent some time replaying the same game a few times with different tactics. The match in question is away at Swansea. I've just tried playing in a counter-attacking style using advice I read in another thread. I was losing 3-0 by half time lol.

I'll keep tweaking.
It's a very bad idea to create a tactic solely based on a player's best role. You'll throw 11 individuals out there and hope for the best.

Create a tactic that can utilise as many players in their best, 2nd best etc roles, but NEVER lose sight of the actual tactic and how it is supposed to work.

I'll keep playing around and see what happens.

I'm only playing FM Touch. I thought the whole point of this version was that it didn't require hours and hours of tactical analysis!

I'll keep playing around and see what happens.

I'm only playing FM Touch. I thought the whole point of this version was that it didn't require hours and hours of tactical analysis!
It's the same ME, so if you create a poor tactic, the results will reflect it.