Struggling in the Premier League

fenderS

Reaction score
First post guys, be gentle.

Third season in the Premier League using LFC Marshall's update, had a big budget but struggled signing any big names. Trying to play fluid possession football cant get my head around it, Don't know if it's my team or my tactics.

Is my team good enough to play this type of football, Here is a couple of screenies.

zksqz8.png

4jnjwj.png

25sa8eo.png

2z74dw7.png

For your tactics Sanogo would be great for your striker. I would sell Fleck (I have had him before and could never use him to his potential. Would buy a box-to-box mid and keep him as one of your DM's. Also looks like you need another centerback. Assuming from ratings you are getting crushed on the right side on the back line. I always go for back-line and strikers first and then build up everything else. Team doesn't look that bad so maybe it is your tactics. Or are most of the starters new and they haven't jel yet?

Thanks for the quick reply, This team has had 10 months to gel apart form Nigel Reo Coker.

I feel that the teams reputation is holding me back, I have teams like Leicester and Norwich playing me at home and dominating. Its like teams come to my stadium knowing they can win, there must be something I can to do increase my reputation or make teams scared.

Playing rigid and not conceding is a last resort as I want to play attractive football and not concede if it's possible with these players.

To me it seems that the main problem is that your tactics create a massive divide between the attacking unit and the defending unit, and your trying to play short passing, so probably your players try many delicate passes just to get it to your forwards, but they are just defenders, so will end up losing you the ball. It would probably help to change one of the wingers to supportive defensive winger and then make the full back attacking.
And maybe make one of the def mids, into a box-to-box centre mid. Or use more direct passing, this would be less attractive though.

How are your wide midfielders (Sinclair and Naismith) set up? If you have them set as wingers it might help to convert them to inside forwards cutting inside, with their respective fullbacks set to attack the gaps they leave behind (as per GodCubed's guide to formations & tactics thread in the tactics & training section). If you are playing a fluid game this might also help with your progression from defense to attack. If Goodwillie is set to poacher he should be scoring for fun, if he isn't you need to be looking at the supply he is getting. Defensively, have a look at someone like Stefan Savic, three seasons in you can usually pick him up for 5-6 million, and the guy is a rock.

Just had a couple of games with attacking full backs, really effective pinched an away win at Liverpool. Thought it would be risky so I set up to counter them and it worked a treat.

Still cant control a game though, do you think it would be best to play counter attacking football with the pace of my squad until better players come in?

Savic was declined a work permit while Scott Dann and Fellani opted for massive wages with Anzhi.

hey bud, you need to adopt a more defensive approach, you cannot "control" games with the squad you have, you need to have it on counter, playing a deep line, allowing teams to have possession, set to hard tackling and closing down/man marking to keep pressure, once you have won the ball have your wide players set up so that they can counter easily, you can do this by using the touchline shout "clear ball to flanks"

you need to set it to balanced or even rigid as you do not want your team getting mixed up in too many responsibilties which will detract them from performing their initial and most important functions!

you need to drop the Amc and make him a box to box type Cm, maybe even use a target man as your striker.. ask Goodwillie to hold up the ball (pass to feet) so your other players can assist him upfront. you need to play "quicker" discliplined creative freedom, hard tackling, closing down, man marking, default crossing and stick to position.

Play deep, on the counter, quick and narrow :)

Funny coincidence, I literally started a new save with Swansea last night and went for a similar formation to you, but with an extra attacker instead of the amc. In my tactic I would however never dream of playing to play control style possession based football, everyone has explained to you in detail why this hasn't worked, but I'll give you the simple answer: you have no-one playing in the middle of the park, of course teams will dominate possession vs you. So logically, the best you can hope for playing this formation (and I'm sure it can and will come good), is choosing a counter or defensive style play. Not against playing attacking fullbacks either as others have suggested. You have improved your first 11 a lot from the first season I guess, though I'd have to criticise your squad depth.

Maybe not the squad depth in itself, as you do appear to have some quality players there, but I fear you may be knocking square pegs into round holes if injuries happen. Jamie Ness, Cairney, Bannan and Deegan are all decent/future quality, but where do they fit in your formation? Either change the system or sell them.

Hope that helps buddy, let me know how the save goes along, like I said my season hasn't started with it yet.

I gave in, I'm playing a 433 now, with inside forwards and a poacher, In the midfield Anchor Man: Defend, Centre Midfield: Support Advanced playmaker: Support.

I feel I have enough players to back up each position in the midfield.

DM: Reo Coker > Bodde > Deegan
MCR: Bodde > Faurlin > Ness
MCL: Cairney > Bannan > Wotherspoon

Won a couple of games lying in 11th now.

2liv8cj.png

34jeyki.png

good setup mate :) glad its working better for you! if you feel that Cairny is doing well in the centre you can try and make him your playmaker.. I dont really use them though.. but he is by far the best player you have there..

I don't think poacher is working for Goodwillie, from what I can see he receives the ball too far away from the goal and he has to do alot of dribbling to get his shot off. I am sure that is not what a poacher is.

Is there anyway I can make more through balls for him to run onto instead of him coming deep to get the ball?

Edit: Ferrie Bodde and Scott Sinclair are by far my best players :p

Last edited:
set him to run from deep often and make him target man - run onto ball :) not sure what his stats look like but you can make him a Complete Forward - attack which will increase his impact on the game :)

Cheers for the help, just one last quick question against the less sides e.g Norwich Leicester Middlesbrough do I still play Counter Attacking football?

At home I would play normal attacking, then away from home play Counter Attacking, you have to be able to pick up points from teams like that home and away.