Struggling to convert chances - Gateshead

Hyphron

Reaction score
I have taken over Gateshead in the Vanarama National League with a long term goal of premier league football. The philosophy I have adopted is a possession based style of football with a personal target of mine of having the greatest possession percentage in the league. 12 games in we are 2nd in the league (1 point off the top) and haven't lost a game - considering the board wants us to get top half I'd say we are doing well. One thing I have noticed though is that although we dominate possession and shots, we only win by very narrow margins and arent great at converting chances. I'm left thinking whether it is the quality of the players that are in this league or if there is something I can do to help my players to convert these chances more. Below are some screenshots of my formation, instructions and league form. I look forward to hearing your feedback!

View attachment 183888 View attachment 183887
View attachment 183886 View attachment 183885

its the new update for me, i have 33 shots, 6 cc's and often end up winning 1-0

I will consider removing lower tempo or retain possession so that you move the ball around quicker. A low tempo game will allow opposition defence to set themselves up so even if you can get chances, it's likely to be difficult chances.

You've reduced crosses, through ball/passes into space (limiting passing options) and long shots. To top it all, you've both reduced tempo and shortened passing massively, making your build up playing slow and limiting passing options even more. How are you actually trying to create chances?