Jedd95

Reaction score
Hi there, long time browser but never posted that much!

Just need some advice. I have really struggled over the last few editions of Fm to find players to sign that are decent for the club.

In the older games I found it very easy to wonder across talent but this year and last I have struggled.

Was wondering if anyone had advice to offer me, how do you find players that will join and help the club progress? Do you search out specific stats, rely on scouts or have any other ideas?

I am currently managing a LLM career and am currently finding no one that will join & improve my current squad.

Many thanks

I guess the same principals apply in LLM - what is it about your club that would make players WANT to sign for you?

I spend a lot of time in LLM, and as a general rule, I only sign players on a free. Using the player search/shortlists I always tick the 'interested in transfer' box so am not chasing players that wouldn't sign anyway.

Ask your current players/staff for recommendations - favoured personnel are more likely to come if their mates are there already.

Otherwise it's a 'play the long game' strategy. Sign 'em young. Sometime allowing them to use the club as a stepping stone (not seen that in FM18 yet) can help - sign those players on as long a contract as you can, make some money off them. A good season or two with you and sell on for profit boosts the coffers and you can offer higher wages to the next generation of players, making your club more attractive.

There are a few things you can do along those lines but they take a lot of game-time to come to fruition. LLM doesn't generally have the long contracts, and a high player turnover isn't unusual.

If they come to you with an agent attached, give the agent a good fee and they are more likely to sign.

There are a few guides around (yootoob) with tips on buying/selling players, it could be something simple as your negotiation technique - do u offer/allow bonuses, unused sub fees etc.

At the end of the day, in the lower leagues, you aren't THAT attractive a club, none are, so you might pick up a player from L2 towards the end of his career on a free, but he will want higher wages. Players from leagues below will think they are better than they are and you are certainly not the club they dream of playing for, so plan to make a profit on them.

Yeah I guess it's more of a scouting problem. I struggle to actually find players that are any decent. I am fine when it comes to negotiations, I just get very lost on the player screen when trying to narrow down who I want!

Thanks for reply.

Depending on what level you're at and the league rules re: work permits, I've picked some good prospects by looking at the national teams - particularly the U21's - for players who aren't attached to anyone and offering trials to see if they're any good.

Yeah I guess it's more of a scouting problem. I struggle to actually find players that are any decent. I am fine when it comes to negotiations, I just get very lost on the player screen when trying to narrow down who I want!

Thanks for reply.

Hi im struggling as well ive played four pre season games but not signed anyone, what ive done so far is got a chief scout in an ive bought the scouting package that covers all of england i think but i think it takes a month for scout to report back on, it costs alot but maybe you could do that? Thing is pre season will be over by then so im kinda stuck but il see what happens.

Hi im struggling as well ive played four pre season games but not signed anyone, what ive done so far is got a chief scout in an ive bought the scouting package that covers all of england i think but i think it takes a month for scout to report back on, it costs alot but maybe you could do that? Thing is pre season will be over by then so im kinda stuck but il see what happens.

You can dip into the scouting to see the players your scout has looked at so far, if you set yourself to run the scouting meetings. Check the scout's page and you'll see how many reports he has produced.

You can also set a short-term focus for him might speed things up a bit.

First season is always a slow-start for me, scouts just know enough, so I only really look at one possibly two signings in the first window if any at all.