Struggling to score goals with Liverpool

The thing is, Gerrard will be great in just about any AMC role you want - attacking mid, inside fwd., adv. playmaker, trequartista, attack or support, it doesn't matter. He can dribble, create, shoot, everything. He will even excel in just about every MC role.

I'm guessing your problem is that when you start a game up sometimes you will struggle no matter how good or bad your tactics are. Especially if you have brought in three new first team players at the same time, your team will take even a bit longer to gel. Some teams get it together quickly, but I've had plenty struggle early and its usually ones where I signed a lot of guys.

You certainly can't go wrong with a 4-2-3-1 and that personnel, though personally if I were you I'd be heading straight for a 4-1-2-1-2, you have perfect personnel for it.

Tevez - DLF/support
Torres - Poacher
Maxi/Cole/Young - AMC/attack
Gerrard - MC or Adv. Playmaker - attack
Meireles - MC/support or defend
Lucas - DMC/opposite of Meireles
LB and RB settings vary from support to attack based on opposition.

Just make sure one of the DMC or MC is support, and one is defend. Each of those guys is capable of either. With most teams I prefer to make the DMC support and other defend, but with Pool I flipped it because Meireles can do so many things well.

But whatever you decide, you have to make sure you set up your Match Preparation to get used to the tactic. At first its best to only work on one formation, home and away versions, so your team will get used to it faster. Once they're comfortable you can get them to work on different formations.

Last edited:
Further update. With my 4-2-3-1 formation I am finding my defence and defensive midfielders are struggling to get ball forward to my attacking players. They pass the ball around the back far too much, and when a ball eventually does go forward the attacking midfielder all to often plays it straight back. This is made even more annoying because the whole time they spend passing the ball around means I can't change my tactics. I would change my defensive part of the team to play more long balls but I don't think their passing is good enough and would give the ball away far too much. I've thought about telling my fullbacks to push further up, but I'm not sure if I trust Johnson and Insua enough. The few times they do get the ball forward to the attackers they all seem isolated and too far apart. Is there anything I can do? I'm thinking about resorting to 4-4-2.