Struggling to understaind how FM14 works

Vanjagl

Premium
Reaction score
Hi. I have some issues with FM14. I don't get it. I don't understand tactics any more apparently. I'm playing 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-2-1 with inside forwards. Ah, I'll post screenshot:
as-monaco-football-club-.png

So here's my problem (s):
- Possession. Can't get over 45% ball possession no matter who I play. On rare occasions I will have more % than my opp, but in most cases I'll have 30-35%. It's frustrating. Only PSG have better midfield than me and yet somehow everybody run over my poor midfield trio. How to get at least 50% possession on regular basis?
- Scoring goals. How? I'm missing 2-3 CCC every game. And who miss them? ****** Falcao with v. good/superb morale. So question is, what should I do to fix goal scoring?
- Homing missle like crosses. So many crosses find their target. It's like playing FIFA. Ball magically finds player in the box, who outjumps 3-4 my players and scores. Is there any trick to stop this?
- Wingers. ****** overpowered. Theirs, not mine. Well, mine are good as well, but they can cross and they can shoot. I tried to mark them with wingers, they still go past both side back and winger. And then cross. Cross galore. Against Kaboul with 19 heading and 18 jumping. Should I mark them with one more player?

Basically, I play
- Shorter passes
- Lower tempo
- Hassle opps
- Get stuck in

in another tactic, which is useless as well. So, any suggestions? Thanks. And yes, both tactics are fluid and players are familiar with them.

I guess we are all in the same boat. I currently have the exact same problems. I really hope they are going to release a new patch soon, because its not playable at the moment (in my opinion).

I had possession problems as well, but then I realized thats probably because my team was playing up tempo and more direct passing. I was still killing the weaker teams though, just not the way I usually like.

Then I decided to actually watch more of the game (comprehensive). Then I learned that my team was just running up the flanks with ease. So I adjusted: ignore tempo, retain, pass to feet, work into box, hassle, mark tightly and boom 60%+ for 3 straight games. But the games suddenly get a lot closer. Still a lot of things that I need to adjust before I get the tactic that I want.

Anyone else has something constructive to say?

Anyone else has something constructive to say?

Will try:

Forget possession. If the game does not allow you to use it properly, use both flanks and explore them by using wingers to cross to Falcao.

I use short passing and run with ball often by both flanks, use overlap to get more crosses, but don't aim the crosses to man, but to box, so he can anticipate the movements of the CBs and score.

Mandzukic is saving my save

@Mally
More direct passing? That will help with... ?

@Avpmoreira
I don't want to play like that. Crosses are bugged. Just like near post on previous FMs. Not bugged, but op. There's no fun playing like that when I know I'm exploiting match engine. But I feel SI made this game so only crosses are consistent, they amost always find their man.

I know I'm doing something wrong, and I've spent few days trying to find out what exactly, but I simply cannot.