crippycooke

Reaction score
I'm having a nightmare with my tactics on FM12. The match engine seems to work out my strategy mid-season and I'm succumbing to consecutive defeats as a result. Here is my starting XI with player instructions:

GK: Stephane Ruffier

View attachment 265597 View attachment 265601

RB: Garry Bocaly

View attachment 265598 View attachment 265602

CB: Davide Astori

View attachment 265596 View attachment 265603

CB: Salvatore Bocchetti

View attachment 265599 View attachment 265605

LB: Georgy Schennikov

View attachment 265608 View attachment 265609

DLP: Radja Nainggolan

View attachment 265610 View attachment 265611

AP: Alan Dzagoev

View attachment 265612 View attachment 265613

AMR: Adam Johnson

View attachment 265614 View attachment 265615

AML: James Rodriguez

View attachment 265616 View attachment 265617

AF: Favio Perez

View attachment 265618 View attachment 265620

P: Khouma Babacar

View attachment 265621 View attachment 265622

That's how my team line up. Here's my team instructions and training schedule:

View attachment 265623 View attachment 265624

Now here's some SS of my most recent defeats:

View attachment 265626 View attachment 265628 View attachment 265630 View attachment 265627

View attachment 265637 View attachment 265635 View attachment 265636 View attachment 265634

View attachment 265642 View attachment 265640 View attachment 265641 View attachment 265639

View attachment 265651 View attachment 265649 View attachment 265650 View attachment 265648

The tactic I'm trying to create:

1. High defensive line
  2. Attacking fullbacks on both flanks
  3. Closing down over the whole pitch for every player except the centre backs and DLP
  4. Short passing style with a high number of passes too
  5. Creative freedom disciplined so players won't lose possession cheaply
  6. Cautious tackling so players stay on their feet when winning the ball
  7. Zonal marking
  8. Drilling crosses into the near post for the poacher to score
  9. Offside trap
  10. Dominating possession in matches

I cannot keep a clean sheet in any of my matches home or away despite boasting a strong backline. I feel my squad is good enough for success but my tactic is letting me down. PLEASE HELP!!! Please offer advice on difference approaches to use and other tactical strategies that have proven to be successful. I don't want people linking me to downloaded tactics however as there's no point.

The thing is that the formation you use is FM is the one lined up without possession. This means that your defensive shape is an incredibly attacking one. With this this style of football, its crucial that the team presses high as a unit and that all players are on their toes. As soon as one or 2 players fails to close down, things gets shaky. It cant say that I have any advice as how to keep clean sheets as conceding is just the natural outcome of the formation. As son as the team become the slighets complecent or when using players that lack in confidence, motivation or using players without high work rate or determination, your will be in trouble, hence why you see it later in the season. Combined with a slump of form, things turn nasty

A high defensive line is never a good option in my opinion.
From the results you have put up it seems you have controled games for the most part but keep geting caught out on the counter attack.
I would suggest you play with a deep line and dont focus on trying to catch opposition attackers offside.

The thing is that the formation you use is FM is the one lined up without possession. This means that your defensive shape is an incredibly attacking one. With this this style of football, its crucial that the team presses high as a unit and that all players are on their toes. As soon as one or 2 players fails to close down, things gets shaky. It cant say that I have any advice as how to keep clean sheets as conceding is just the natural outcome of the formation. As son as the team become the slighets complecent or when using players that lack in confidence, motivation or using players without high work rate or determination, your will be in trouble, hence why you see it later in the season. Combined with a slump of form, things turn nasty

It's very frustrating to watch my team constantly lose. My players have seen have high work rate, stamina and are very fast so I thought closing down high up the pitch would pay dividends. My fullbacks should be aiding with that too. I used to play with just 1 striker and inside forwards with wingbacks overlapping. My players just don't seem to close down sharply enough and I concede a lot of chances per game.

A high defensive line is never a good option in my opinion.
From the results you have put up it seems you have controled games for the most part but keep geting caught out on the counter attack.
I would suggest you play with a deep line and dont focus on trying to catch opposition attackers offside.

I know a high line is very risky but with a fast backline playing the offside trap like I have it surely shouldn't be an issue. I think I'm going to have to tweak until I find the right defensive formula.

It's very frustrating to watch my team constantly lose. My players have seen have high work rate, stamina and are very fast so I thought closing down high up the pitch would pay dividends. My fullbacks should be aiding with that too. I used to play with just 1 striker and inside forwards with wingbacks overlapping. My players just don't seem to close down sharply enough and I concede a lot of chances per game.

My bad, I was under the impression that you did rather well, not that you lost most of your matches. If you want, uploade the tactic and I will have a look at it

My bad, I was under the impression that you did rather well, not that you lost most of your matches. If you want, uploade the tactic and I will have a look at it

Well here's where I finished. 4th season in I should be doing a lot better. On previous FM games I'd won the title in my 4th season. I shouldn't still be tinkering with a tactic this late into the game.

View attachment 265765

I'm fully aware that with my players running with the ball often, crossing often and through balls often goes against the rules for a possession tactic but ignoring that, am I making a glaring error in my setup in regards to pressing the ball?

In my opinion, you pressing way to far for possession football and the width addedd causes you to be more open, I suggest you go for something like this:

View attachment 265784

what other centre mids do you have

maybe try playing an amc instead of one of your strikers to crowd the midfield and help you dominate the match. Im guessing a lot of the goals you give away come from counter attacking through balls so maybe have your CBs man mark

I know that all the settings have been posting, but its much easier fo rme to help if you upload the tactic.

I know that all the settings have been posting, but its much easier fo rme to help if you upload the tactic.

This is the tactic in question. I know there's glaring flaws because it spurs possession through dribbling too much and crossing the ball but any help would be helpful. I don'tr want to resort back to my old safe boring tactic. I'm trying to be more flamboyant and play with attacking fullbacks.

maybe try playing an amc instead of one of your strikers to crowd the midfield and help you dominate the match. Im guessing a lot of the goals you give away come from counter attacking through balls so maybe have your CBs man mark

I know I can play with two up top but my approach doesn't suit the side is all. My CB's would be dragged out of position by clever strikers if I set them to man mark surely?