Stuck in training youngsters... Any tip?

Astaroth

Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first post ever in this community. I've managed to make a good team that wins it all by myself (who wouldn't make Barcelona a winner? xD). Bought some good players such as Dzagoev, Kroos, Aguero, Criscito... so Barcelona's become nearly unbeatable. But I'm really worried about how training's going on.

I just can't make my youngsters improve. I've signed many 15/16 year old promising players, some of them with nice personalities (model professional, professional, determined...). I make them play regularly in U19s, giving them sometimes the oportunity to play a match or two in the first team. I also loan them when I think I won't be using them enough, picking always good teams as their destiny (Inter, Lazio, Arsenal... or their U19s if the player's too young)

I've tried my own made training schedules, also gave a try on Tug's and Dan's, trying different workloads on all of them. All of the players seem happy with their training schedule and workload, and ***. manager has no worries either about their training.

Nearly all of my coaches are worldclass, and many of them have high "Working with youngsters" attribute. I have 4 or 4.5 stars in all training categories both for fisrt team training and U19 training. I've improved both training and youth facilities to the max. level.

Despite all this, my players don't seem to improve. They improve very little or even get worse on some attributes, despite being professional or fairly professional young players. Whenever I get a 3stars potential ability youngster it goes down to 1 or 1.5 stars when they get 18 or 19.

I just can't think off what I might be doing wrong, the more I focus on their training, the worse they seem to train. Can someone give me any tip for improving their training?

it's a tough one... you have everything covered that i can think of:

- good training facilites
- good coaches
- proven schedules (tugs/dans)
- loaning players for first team action

this is all i do and no more. I get great results on my main players. are you just basing progress on star rating or are their attributes not going up either? star ratings may change when your coaches get more used to the player and realise they are not as good as the scout suggested etc or vice-versa.

- i also give my most promising players the odd start or sub appearance in less important or easier games.

Not just a matter of stars rating. Wouldn't be concerned if they were rated 1.5 in potential but their stats raised correctly. But even youngest and more promising players raise too slow. An example:

Petre Stan: Signed 19 years old. Wonderkid. Defender. After 1 year of Tug's training (with training facilities already maxed) gained a point in 2 atributes, lost a point in another 2.

Same goes for Ryan Nicholls, another wonderkid who has nearly the same atributes he had when signed, after 3 years of training. The only player that improved well was Alan Dzagoev, proffesional wonderkid, who has become worldclass. But he's still 24 years old and is already starting to lose points in many atributes and gains ability in none of them.

I'm winning every competition fairly easy (this season I haven't lost any match in La Liga, and only drawn 2) but that's thanks to worldclass signings (Aguero, Fabregas) and the top players barcelona already had (Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique...). Some of the players I've trained myself (Muniesa, Bojan, Nicholls..) are just aceptable, and most of them (Serkan, Gutierrez, Thobjorsen, Butler, Wilkins...) are just awful, even though some of them were tagged as wonderkids.

Just can't imagine what I'm doing wrong... I've tried many training schedules, I'm giving them regular football (or either sending them on loan), using top class coaches... of course I can sign some players when they're top class and use them, my finances are ok, but that0s not the point. I'd just like to make some of my youngster become important players for the first team but can't get them to improve no matter how I try and it's getting frustrating.

Many of the teams that you are sending kids to loan to won't give them regular football. Send them to teams that they can get regular first team football.

I usually play in England so I will use an example from there loaning a player to cardiff will do him more good than to Utd.

Expanding of what naraic has said - try to send your players to weaker teams in the La Liga or the Liga Adelante that guarantee them regular first team football. Also if you have some affiliate clubs, you could send them there. There is not much point sending them to another big club where they are just going to sit around in the reserve or U19's squads. Regular first team football is probably the most important thing when it comes to player development.

Last edited:
Thx, will give it a try. I read somewhere that it was importatn to loan players to clubs that had good training facilities to ensure their development. I'm loaning some of my new youngsters to Liga Adelante top teams where they'll play for sure and will see the results. Hope it works before I waste all of my future stars :)

Btw, I've seen a glimmer of light with my new young goalkeeper (Glass) who's improving pretty nicely in my U19s. Most of my U19s do not improve or gain a point in 2-3 atributes per year, but Glass been training really well, gaining 2-3 points in many atributes ^^

Anyway, will keep you informed abut the new loaned players. Thx for the advice!

Hey all,
For me i can usually do the same thing as you, I can usually dominate most teams, I'm always capable of winning all trophies, thought its quite difficult to do so; and what I find is that you should just play your young players if you can discern which ones are capable of becoming world class. For instance, when you sign a young player ages 15-16, you can kind of look at their stats and get an idea as to how good they can possibly become if age 24. I find that each year there is on average 3-4 players that get regenerated each year. If you scout like crazy you can find them, then you just play them every game and trust me you will see massive improvements!