Stupidest board ever - can you top this?

Michael Price

Reaction score
So in my game at the moment it's the year 2043 and Forest Green Rovers have won the EPL something like six times in a row now.

Last year a new board took over and gave me a 120 million transfer budget. Obviously my team was very strong already, but AC Milan had a 22 year old central midfielder who looked absolutely amazing. My playmaker was getting old (33) and since I had nothing else to spend the money on I kept bidding until they FINALLY agreed to sell - for 85 million pounds.

So, the guy proves an instant hit - 7.31 average in his first season - scored a hat trick from midfield in an international game - in short, he's a star.

Now I'm halfway through his second season with me and Roma puts in a bid of 53 million pounds.

TOO GOOD TO REFUSE - ACCEPTED.

Thank God he wasn't happy with the basic pay they offered. I have just offered him a new contract and a huge salary so no one can afford to take him if my stupid board gets any more crazy ideas.

you need to include a minimum release clause in his contract :) I know the board will accept a certain amount, even less than the min release clause, it just enforces clubs to back off a bit and offer a much higher amount than they normally would :) and next time, you know now your board will accept anything above £45m or so so don't spend more than that on a single player again!

and boards are a pain in the ****! I have not experienced them accepting anything as I run the club :p but they are stubborn in other departments!

It's realistic, don't you think ? The board put money on top of everything while the manager is all about football.

It's realistic, don't you think ? The board put money on top of everything while the manager is all about football.

Realistic for a board to sell a player for a 32 million LOSS?

Last edited:
No, they didn't
Ronaldo's worth every dime they spent on him (90 goals in 2 seasons) and will probably continue to prove so

Even so, Madrid overpaid for Ronaldo.

A player is not worth £85 Million.

LOL wut.

the guy has been scoring goals after goals ,hatrick over hatrick. how can u say that he's overpaid . u got it all wrong, or simply, what ur saying is an understatement.

ofcouse a typical rival fan could say that, but think twice, CR7 was not overpaid. if messi was to go somewhere (Arsenal sign Messi XD), he might be worth more than 80m+ or something.

If we think about Ronaldo basing on his football performance, then yes - he was overpaid, as any other player (except Messi - and I'm RMadrid fan - because he can solo win almost every game, if rest of team is defending well) would have been overpaid for that price. But there is marketing side of this business and here these £85m are very clever spended, because they will be recouped on t-shirts, tickets, tv rights etc.

I think you overpaid tbh.

Well, yeah, I paid a lot more than he was worth - but that's what it took to get one of the best players in the world away from a wealthy club. Given that he's only 22 and looks like a future captain I was more than happy to spend the cash I had nothing else to do with.

Fortunately I've been able to hang on to him through the year. I resigned him deliberately inflating the **** out of his wages so he's less likely to go elsewhere :)

If we think about Ronaldo basing on his football performance, then yes - he was overpaid, as any other player (except Messi - and I'm RMadrid fan - because he can solo win almost every game, if rest of team is defending well)

Funny how that works - I disagree, even though I'm not RM fan
Ronaldo avarages more goals per game than Messi in the last two seasons => he's better at this than Messi => he's worth more

So in my game at the moment it's the year 2043 and Forest Green Rovers have won the EPL something like six times in a row now.

Last year a new board took over and gave me a 120 million transfer budget. Obviously my team was very strong already, but AC Milan had a 22 year old central midfielder who looked absolutely amazing. My playmaker was getting old (33) and since I had nothing else to spend the money on I kept bidding until they FINALLY agreed to sell - for 85 million pounds.

So, the guy proves an instant hit - 7.31 average in his first season - scored a hat trick from midfield in an international game - in short, he's a star.

Now I'm halfway through his second season with me and Roma puts in a bid of 53 million pounds.

TOO GOOD TO REFUSE - ACCEPTED.

Thank God he wasn't happy with the basic pay they offered. I have just offered him a new contract and a huge salary so no one can afford to take him if my stupid board gets any more crazy ideas.

just set his asking price to 120 or 150 mil and u won't get an offer for him , and cuz of that his agent won't nagg about new contracts

Asking price - 0
Reject all offers ;)

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Funny how that works - I disagree, even though I'm not RM fan
Ronaldo avarages more goals per game than Messi in the last two seasons => he's better at this than Messi => he's worth more

If we think about Ronaldo basing on his football performance, then yes - he was overpaid, as any other player (except Messi - and I'm RMadrid fan - because he can solo win almost every game, if rest of team is defending well) would have been overpaid for that price. But there is marketing side of this business and here these £85m are very clever spended, because they will be recouped on t-shirts, tickets, tv rights etc.

Smart people made this thread for a reason. Use it :)
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2011-players/54437-messi-vs-c-ronaldo-thread.html

Sorry for dp.