Style over Substance?

I have played a MMORPG for a fair few hours, but not a single player so much since Zelda/Goldeneye.

Zelda was ******* sick.

I used to love Super Mario and Brian Lara cricket on the SNEZ also. :)

Super Mario 3 was by the best game ever on the 8-bit NES. Best £5 i ever spent back then

Games that have their own style I find are the best, ie stylised games>realistic lifelike graphics.

At the moment im playing Bit Trip Runner a lot which is basically maseev square pixels but it looks great and combined with its soundtrack is extremely immersive.

WoW is another good example of a game being stylised. Its cartoony look means that its lasted 8+ years.

Games that have their own style I find are the best, ie stylised games>realistic lifelike graphics.

At the moment im playing Bit Trip Runner a lot which is basically maseev square pixels but it looks great and combined with its soundtrack is extremely immersive.

WoW is another good example of a game being stylised. Its cartoony look means that its lasted 8+ years.

screen-btr-03.png

Awesome game, think I have it on a 3 half inch floppy somewhere(heads out of the gutter please). I played WoW a bit, very good game, but wasn't my type of game.

Sonic the Hedgehog > all

Crystal Caves. Just throwing it out there and seeing if anyone remembers it.

Some guys may have 'FIFA lads nights' but instead me and 3 friends have an 'N64 nerd night'. Don't care if its nerdy its awesome playing vintage games from the past for hours on end, especially with friends. Go this guy's house and he uses his computer to load an N64 emulator and then we play it on a massive tv using xbox controllers. Original mario kart, goldeneye, worms, super smash bros, mary party. all epic. I agree games just don't seem to be as epic as they used to be. Obviously some exceptions but only a few games will give me that nostalgia feeling in the future unlike the N64 games which were instant classics (exceptions being rtw, GTA, AOE 1&2, red alert 1&2, C&C generals and so on). To agree with one point you made about sequals, AOE III wasn't as good and red alert 3 was just ****. Hope the generals and rtw remakes are good but I don't hold high hopes
nice idea for a thread btw :)

A good art style will help a game last years, way too many games are trying to look as realistic as possible e.g. Battlefield 3.

Lately I have found myself playing a lot more Indie games instead of full retail games, and despite the lower price point I am enjoying them far more.

Out of recent games, I liked the style of Boarderlands, and that older game XI (or whatever its numberals were), the cell shaded game

Go this guy's house and he uses his computer to load an N64 emulator and then we play it on a massive tv using xbox controllers.

Jak, I may be showing my age now but how do Emulators work? Would like to play my n64 but my tv doesnt have the required ariel socket to play it.

Anyway I agree with the AC statements. I only bought the first and thorughly enjoyed it. It shows that it is possible to mix impressive graphics and gameplay however its rare to come across many modern games like this.

My favourite games at the minute are Sonic, Tetris and Tekken 2(flash games).
Only modern game I care to play is Forza 4 due to its impressive handling once you turn all driving assists off. But im sure the novelty will wear off eventually.

A good art style will help a game last years, way too many games are trying to look as realistic as possible e.g. Battlefield 3.

Lately I have found myself playing a lot more Indie games instead of full retail games, and despite the lower price point I am enjoying them far more.
1 reason why I think TF2 is one of the best FPS of all time, it's just so unique and doesn't take itself too seriously. So much fun. HOW IS IT FREE NOW?! I'd still gladly pay the £30 I paid when it first came out

1 reason why I think TF2 is one of the best FPS of all time, it's just so unique and doesn't take itself too seriously. So much fun. HOW IS IT FREE NOW?! I'd still gladly pay the £30 I paid when it first came out

I've started playing it a bit recently, bought it a while before it went F2P but never really played it. But yeah it is absolutely sublime and of a higher quality than most new retail games.

Jak, I may be showing my age now but how do Emulators work? Would like to play my n64 but my tv doesnt have the required ariel socket to play it.

Anyway I agree with the AC statements. I only bought the first and thorughly enjoyed it. It shows that it is possible to mix impressive graphics and gameplay however its rare to come across many modern games like this.

My favourite games at the minute are Sonic, Tetris and Tekken 2(flash games).
Only modern game I care to play is Forza 4 due to its impressive handling once you turn all driving assists off. But im sure the novelty will wear off eventually.
you use your computer, not the n64 :) download it (called project 64) then you simply google for a ROM of the N64 game you want (e.g google 'mario kart 64 rom) and download it and save in the appropriate place (sure it tells you how somewhere) and then you can go to options in project 64 to configure any controllers you plug into the computer (we use 360 controllers and PS3 controllers, any standard usb controller should work) and you just launch whatever game you want, that simple :) occasional crashes but mostly fine and its free.
Nintendo 64 Emulator - Play N64 games on your Windows PC

you use your computer, not the n64 :) download it (called project 64) then you simply google for a ROM of the N64 game you want (e.g google 'mario kart 64 rom) and download it and save in the appropriate place (sure it tells you how somewhere) and then you can go to options in project 64 to configure any controllers you plug into the computer (we use 360 controllers and PS3 controllers, any standard usb controller should work) and you just launch whatever game you want, that simple :) occasional crashes but mostly fine and its free.
Nintendo 64 Emulator - Play N64 games on your Windows PC

Ocarina of Time running at 60 FPS :wub:

I totally agree with the main point to the thread. I wrote an article on it a while back and my thoughts on the subject. Gaming is too focused on Multiplayer these days.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/gaming/67074-computer-games-too-bland-{article}.html
ye I think call of duty is a perfect example of this. I remember playing the first Cod and at the time it was great, quite a fun story and not focussing on the online play. same with CoD 2. However after CoD 4 (some would argue the best of the series with a a good sp and mp) it has gone downhill and been all about the multiplayer. The SP is usually short and just not that fun. It is of secondary importance to the multiplayer. A real shame

Do some games concentrate on style over substance? Yeah sure, but that's not unique to games being made now.

Are games these days worse than the stuff you found in your golden era of choice. Not really but that's just nostalgia blinding things and making you remember the good but forgetting the bad.

If anything we're in a golden age right now.

PS. Goldeneye sucked

or use the cheat for GIANT HEADS! :D

Ok that's something which sucks about modern games. The fact that cheats have been replaced with DLC. Want to play as a new character? [del]Use this code or complete the game to unlock him[/del] BUY HIM!

I find that most games are best left in the past.. I've tried playing a lot of games that used to keep me entertained for hours and they just disappoint.. Shame.

Although, that doesn't go for the original Sonic, MGS, Resident Evil's, Gran Turismo 1 & 2 or Star Wars KOTR 1 & 2, those games are amazing and won't be beaten in my eyes. I barely even realise how rubbish the graphics are.

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to make a game realistic, but I much prefer the graphics of a game like Borderlands to those of Battlefield.. It has it's own unique charm about it and I'm not being fobbed off about it being the next 3rd gen 3D HD experience of 2012, yawn.

Ok that's something which sucks about modern games. The fact that cheats have been replaced with DLC. Want to play as a new character? [del]Use this code or complete the game to unlock him[/del] BUY HIM!

That's not their fault.. I mean, people are actually stupid enough to buy it.

And besides, I can kind of understand paying to have Robin as a playable character in Batman much more than I can EA making me pay to play FIFA online.

Last edited: