Substitutions, starting players, squad rotations. HOW?

Reggaezal

Reaction score
1.How do you select your starters, Skill or Form or Fitness?

2.Would you play your star player even if he has been performing poorly for the past few games?

3.When do you substitute a player, when he is tired or when he has been performing poorly?

4.What level would you define a player tired (level in % of match fitness 1-100%)?

5.When would you play your reserve squad players/back up players/youngsters?

6.How many games will keep a player happy per seasons( the minimum number of games to keep a player happy) ?

Thats about all i want to know, thanks for the help :)

Firstly, skill.
Then, a combination of fitness and form.
And then, who I am playing.

2.Would you play your star player even if he has been performing poorly for the past few games?

Yes. Unless there was a very good backup, your best player will generally find form again.

3.When do you substitute a player, when he is tired or when he has been performing poorly?

Both.

4.What level would you define a player tired (level in % of match fitness 1-100%)?

People have different values; and it also depends what level you're playing at, and how big your squad is. There is a number of different variables, which affect it, and therefore there is no definitive answer.

I'd usually play youngsters over reserves, but yes, I would play them.

6.How many games will keep a player happy per seasons( the minimum number of games to keep a player happy) ?

Depends what role they have in the team and what their personality is like.

I have something like a base lineup based on skill, value, and how I like the players. This is the default lineup which I think is the best I can come up with, if everyone's healthy and in form, and match fit.

Example from Real Madrid: Benzema (ST), Kaka (AMC), C. Ronaldo (AMR), Di Maria (ML), Xabi (MC), L. Diarra (DMC), Lahm (DL), Sakho (DC), Pepe (DC), Ramos (DR), Casillas (GK).

Then I have the default 7 guys on the bench, to cover all the spots, if someone gets injured or is exhausted during the match.

Example from Real (I included the guys they can cover for in the brackets): Adler (Casillas), Arbeola (Lahm, Ramos), Albiol (Sakho, Pepe), Moussa Sissoko (L. Diarra, Xabi), Marcelo (Di Maria, Lahm), Granero (Kaka, C. Ronaldo, Di Maria), Higuain (Benzema, C. Ronaldo, Kaka).

So this way I can replace every spot in my lineup easily. This is the selection I start with, and I change it like this:

1. If someone's injured, I will of course replace him. If someone from starting lineup is injured, I will put someone from the bench to the starting lineup, and move someone who was not in the selection before to the place on the bench (these are the backups I don't use regularly, for example M. Diarra, Raul, S. Canales, Chema Anton etc).

2. The starters which are level above their replacements play almost every game. These are C. Ronaldo, Kaka, Lahm, Ramos, Sakho, Casillas. I only put them down if they are injured, or if I play more matches in less days, and they have fitness below 90%, and/or it's an easy opponent, and I want to rest them for more important match. I play them even if they don't play very well, because that usually lasts only one game, and they play well the next game.

3. Players for which I have very good replacements, almost with the same abilities, I rotate. These are Benzema -> Higuain, Di Maria -> Marcelo, Xabi -> Sissoko, L. Diarra -> M. Diarra, Pepe -> Albiol. The way I do the squad rotation is that I replace only one of these players every match, and keep the rest of the squad as was the match before. So usually everyone will play like 5 matches before their turn to sit down comes again.

4. All that was said before is the "perfect" example when everything is going alright. :) But they are slight changes if someone performs very poor for 2-3 matches, I replace them immediately. In the other hand, If someone is performing very well, like scoring hattricks, I keep them in the lineup even if it's their turn to sit down.

I rarely use players that have fitness level below 90% before the match. Only if I play a strong opponent, and it's someone like Kaka, or C. Ronaldo. During the match, I usually try substituting players which have less than 70% 60-70 minutes in the match.

Very rarely, only if I have a lot of injuries, or someone from them I don't want to upset (hot prospects) keeps ******** he wants to play. Otherwise I don't care about them much.

I don't know the exact number for this. Depends on the player. Someone is happy to play one match in a month, or just if you play him in the cup. But I'd guess someone like C. Ronaldo would not be satisfied with that. :)

Thats about all i want to know, thanks for the help :)

Hope it helps.

First Skill, then form with a touch of Fitness!

No , opportunities must be given if others are in the bench, if he's **** at the moment, he will stay **** untill my order :)

First , when he is tired . Im a bit biased to substitute at half time, with a little team talk, sometimes he becomes a hero in 45 minutes!

Below 75 %

Probably against weaker sides when Im playing in a cup, And still be confident that they will get the job done !

I would say plus 25/30

I pick mine on Form, if they're playing well then they shall keep playing, however, i won't pick them if they're unfit (below 90%)
I might start him on the sub bench, or give him a prolonged rest (preferably during a 'easy' period for the club) and hope when recalled he will be back to his best. Unless the players that took his place perform really well, then he'd have to wait his chance a bit longer.
I base it on both, if a player is tired then i tend to sub him, unless he's playing exceptionally well (7.5+) if they're playing poorly i'll sub them, only if i feel the potential sub would bring something to the team and would benefit us.
below 90% before the games, halftime below 80%, then below 70% for the rest of the second half.
The league cup, or early stages of the FA cup, unless it's a big match against chelsea or man city etc. Or when the title is over, ie. when points can't change my finishing position. Or maybe when they get back from a loan move where they performed really well.
I tend to think, aslong as you don't leave them out for 5+ games, they'll be happy. It depends on the squad status, a key player would prefer to play every game, or every other. Whilst someone squad rotation will settle for one in every 4, or constant sub apperances. or Youth players will be happy with 1 in 10 or something.
Thats about all i want to know, thanks for the help :)[/QUOTE]