jameslufc

Reaction score
I am currently top of the league with Leeds and was on a really good run of 10 games unbeaten with 8 wins. I had an 11 point lead at the top, but suddenly we have completely lost form. I have only won 1 of the last 6 and lost 4, now I only have a 3 point lead. This has included me losing to teams near the bottom of the league. I tried changing my tactic to be more attacking, particularly when I have gone behind in games but not having any luck. Any advice before I throw away promotion?!

Probably you have tired players, try to rotate them. Change the starting tactic. From time to time, try to use 5-3-2 Counter when you play away. Play with Standard mentality when you play home.

one thing i always do is praise players at the end of every month.it keeps morale high

Every team has a slump for a while, you'll start winning games again soon.

Unfortunately that's what happens in football, I get this scenario all the time. Best thing you can do is not panic and make drastic tactical changes. Give praise where possible, have a team meeting if necessary.

Best advice I can give is; do not keep the same formation/tactics for every game. The developers of the game have come out themselves and said they have added new dimensions to this year’s edition to try and combat the use of plug’n’play style tactics. Your team will get found out eventually. Use the advice of your staff, some things they have to say are actually very useful. If you don’t do it already, start looking at oppositions weaknesses and strengths, change your plan to exploit them.

The developers of the game have come out themselves and said they have added new dimensions to this year’s edition to try and combat the use of plug’n’play style tactics.
Do you have a link to where this was said? Can't remember seeing anyone say this.

I'm familiar with the article, but it is talking about AI improvements and what the AI can do, not that they're specifically combating PnP tactics. Your post was just a bit misleading.

Not really, the AI identifies that by using the same tactics in every single game, which is what most people that use P'n'P tactics do, you will get found out.

OK the use of the word 'Combat' was probably miss-phrased, but the sentiment is there. To make the game more realistic, SI have made the AI more life like in their ability to combat a managers use of the same tactic in every game.

Not really, the AI identifies that by using the same tactics in every single game, which is what most people that use P'n'P tactics do, you will get found out.

OK the use of the word 'Combat' was probably miss-phrased, but the sentiment is there. To make the game more realistic, SI have made the AI more life like in their ability to combat a managers use of the same tactic in every game.

The thing is I tested a game where I used a home tactic and a complete different tactic away yet the AI seems to get you...how is that possible!

I'm familiar with the article, but it is talking about AI improvements and what the AI can do, not that they're specifically combating PnP tactics. Your post was just a bit misleading.

If the AI were ever brought to a level implied here, and I'd love it to be, places like these would be rage quit central. There may have been some improvements, but they are barely affecting me. In fact I still see them doing **** on occasion that was covered in entry level guides years ago, plus there is still multiple teams always that need 20 shots on average for a goal if you take a look through team reports, which has always always been tactical. Plus making it out as if you'd need to switch stuff around just for switching stuff around is still horrible advice. If AI would be able to react better to certain formations, etc. it wouldn't do so after an arbitrary set of matches, it would do from the get-go. It also wouldn't affect purely the human manager but every single manager in the game likewise, as that isn't SI's design ethos.

The reason plug&play tactics don't cover everything are fare simpler and have always been. Ever since the truly diablo the truly fool-proof super tactics have disappeared. This was stuff that exploited major marking bugs to an extent that even if you were totally outplayed you were guaranteed a decent amount of quality chances each match taken. On some releases simple set piece exploits saw you better AI shot conversion straight out of the bat. Yes, their tactics and decisions naturally too, as on some releases they often just pushed their entire midfield forward. Plus right with a pick in formation, there is a strength and weakness already. Which is why it should be. There is no perfect tactics. Go narrow and you are prone to be overloaded down the flanks by AI that play formations with backs and wingers, etc.

I see the above as a piece of promotion, at least in parts, tbh. Otherwise the frustration thread here certainly would have quadrupled, as there's many players that never learned to play the game technically always going to download tactics directly and you had an influx of brilliant wank as this for sure. Football Manager - The BIG LIE ***AI Bias*** - General Discussions - FMS Forum :D:D:D PS: Who's to say any of what the OP is experiencing was primarily tactical either way. Genuine question. There is good and bad fortunes influencing runs already as matches tend to be low scoring affairs, for a start. Plus fixture lists. Plus injuries. Etc. Etc. Etc. If he can't work that out, he's ill-adviced to just switch stuff around just for switching stuff around for sure. This would also apply if AI managers were more reactive to their opponents. If you can't figure out what it is they may be targeting or stopping, be it themselves getting overloaded in an area of the pitch or else, a random switch of a lever is random switch of a lever.

Last edited:
The thing is I tested a game where I used a home tactic and a complete different tactic away yet the AI seems to get you...how is that possible!

That could just purely be down to the tactic maybe. But the AI has improved for sure, I remember having a career with Tottenham on fm15 where I won everything including Prem and Champions League every single season for years, all with the same tactic home and away. Now, it can be difficult putting together a run of 5 or 6 wins.

They have given the AI more intelligence, theoretically giving them access to the same reports and staff advice as we have as managers. I tried my luck last year but I never really managed to create a ‘perfect’ tactic, this year is even harder. It is all about detail now, adapting to the oppositions style and playing on their weaknesses. I watch every match now, I read every report and listen to my staff, I am finding I am much more successful.

Same problem

I'm having the same issue. I've just finished my 4th season with SC Freamunde. My first two seasons.. I was killing it at the start of the season in 1st place and then in the second half of the season, my players struggled to score/defend and I ended up finishing midtable. This past season, I was 3rd for the first half of the season and struggled to score/defend in the second half of the season and finished 8th.

The inconsistency in the game is killing me. I'd rather win, lose, win, lose over the course of a season instead of going undefeated for 10 games and then not being able to win in 10 games.

Isn't it nice to have a bit of a challenging run every now and then... I mean, it would be a boring game if you would just have a good tactic and won almost every game... I dont know the quality of your Leeds team, but being first is an achievement that you should be proud of...