Suddenly started conceding everything?

zeeek75

Reaction score
Hello.
So I have started my 3rd season with Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Having won the quadruple last season so everything was fine and good. I conceded like only 25 goals whole season and my defence was superb last season. Okay.
After starting my 3rd season, I have started conceding alot, ALOT. A centre-half of the opposing team gave a long pass but instead it reached my goalkeeper and HE SCORED! I started losing all the games and I became frustrated. I only use one tactic and I am still using one tactic. It worked fine last season but what happened?
Is it because I brought Victor Valdes on a free transfer to the team? He rarely gets to play but he is performing the same as Bernd Leno (my 1st choice). I haven't brought any big player to the team except a few regens which barely get playtime.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 379972
This is the same team I played the whole season and the tactic.

How'd you get Wilshere?

I quit my Dortmund save because after 2 title winning seasons, losing the CL final to bayern on penos in the second, I still couldn't get any big names interested in me.

As for why your losing, from what I understand the game learns your tactics over time and they figure out how to exploit it.

And maybe to bad start has affected your teams confidence and you need to pull something out to get their heads back into the game

How'd you get Wilshere?

I quit my Dortmund save because after 2 title winning seasons, losing the CL final to bayern on penos in the second, I still couldn't get any big names interested in me.

He was transfer-listed in the second season for 25M Pounds. Got him as soon as I saw it. The best player on my team currently.

I got bale that way myself.

It's strange how when w player gets unhappy and wants to move to a "bigger club" he'll suddenly move to clubs which are of lower reputation than his own!

I couldn't get Bale to look at me before he got listed but then he wanted a bigger club and suddenly would accept a move to Dortmund.

Sane with a lot of other players.

As for why your losing, from what I understand the game learns your tactics over time and they figure out how to exploit it.

And maybe to bad start has affected your teams confidence and you need to pull something out to get their heads back into the game

A lot of people seem to think the game "learns" your tactic, this isn't true. What happens is to begin with teams will be more adventurous playing you, as you as a manager has no tactical reputation. But as you become more and more successful like in real life teams begin to play against you more defensively and attempt to counter more. You can be just as successful playing with one tactic as long as it is adjusted to deal with teams sitting back as rotating around 3 tactics. That's why second season syndrome is so common on FM13 as people don't realise that there no longer the "new kid on the block".

As already pointed out by DecGWhite, The opponensts dont learn a thing about your actual tactic, but they adapt to your status, meaning that teams that ones attacked you might play more cautiouis against you.

Your second point is correct though. When your players starts to perform poorly, you need to take a dfferenet approach in the man management. Its one thing kepping the players happy when things are fine, but its a different thing being a good man in a crisis and not actuallyt let the team come into a slump of form etc.Here, its important to watch the game and analyze it ( using the tool). What seems to be the problem. Is it the midfield that dont support the defenders or is it single players not performing etc

As already pointed out by DecGWhite, The opponensts dont learn a thing about your actual tactic, but they adapt to your status, meaning that teams that ones attacked you might play more cautiouis against you.

Your second point is correct though. When your players starts to perform poorly, you need to take a dfferenet approach in the man management. Its one thing kepping the players happy when things are fine, but its a different thing being a good man in a crisis and not actuallyt let the team come into a slump of form etc.Here, its important to watch the game and analyze it ( using the tool). What seems to be the problem. Is it the midfield that dont support the defenders or is it single players not performing etc

Thank you for the explanation, much clear to me now.
I always watch every match in 3D. I saw that my Goalkeeper was the player to blame. He missed so many goals and never reached more than 6.5 rating. In a league match he even had 5.8 rating, which is very low.
He started to underperform as soon as I brought in Victor Valdes. Do you think Valdes was the problem? Does the AI work like this?

Thank you for the explanation, much clear to me now.
I always watch every match in 3D. I saw that my Goalkeeper was the player to blame. He missed so many goals and never reached more than 6.5 rating. In a league match he even had 5.8 rating, which is very low.
He started to underperform as soon as I brought in Victor Valdes. Do you think Valdes was the problem? Does the AI work like this?

It could very well be the reason, that he works less good under pressure. Here, I would speak to him and tell him to pull him self together. Either he will come through or he wont.

It could very well be the reason, that he works less good under pressure. Here, I would speak to him and tell him to pull him self together. Either he will come through or he wont.
That is EXACTLY what I did. I told him to step up or he's getting transfer listed. And he actually improved. I still concede goals but now I have started to rotate tactics and it's working out well.
Thanks TheBetterHalf :)