ikke

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I finally started a Chelsea save on fm11 (It's been sort of a tradition since a played my greatest fm save ever with Chelsea on fm2007, Villa and Drogba up front scoring loads of goals **aaah, good times (H)**)
So I bought me a couple of players And I know they need time to blend in and such but I can already see that the tactic doesn't let my team "flow" the way I intended.

Heres a screenie:

View attachment 123602

Due to the great amount and quality of my midfielders, I took a 4-1-2-1-2 tactic.
Mikel is a Defensive midfielder (defend), Essien is a central midfielder (support), Lampard is a advanced playmaker (attack) and Pastore is an inside forward (attack). The problem is my team looses quite a lot of balls in midfield. The connection between def and att also isn't what I would like it to be.

My 2 central def's are central defenders (stopper). My fullbacks are on automatic. I'm not sure whether i should put them on def, support or att with this formation.

Up front I have Drogba as Targetman (attack) and Dzeko as a complete forward. Brilliant combo you would think, but I'm struggling to let them connect well with each other on the pitch. Drogba is usually higher up the pitch then Dzeko, I would like to see it otherwise. Off course I can set Drogba as a supporting Target man, but he's much better in attack. I could also set Dzeko as a poachet which works well woth a target man, but Dzeko is a beast as a complete forward, much less as a poacher.

Suggestions?

chelsea fans here! dzeko as CF. let drogba on bench since he kinda old. 2 stopper def? 1 cover & 1 stopper make ur choice who to pick. tried formation 4-1-3-1-1. play 3 CM to rotate ur squad. built ur own tactics. as FB let them attack, since no winger u playing let them press own half enough. 2 def & mikel set a own half. let essien press all-time & drogba + hard tackle cos once drogba exhausted change others. to many striker. get rid anelka & drogba. even drogba is my fav all time striker. all is personal.. i'm not pro but that's my idea! mid area set short pass, through pass sometimes. long shot all set rarely to whole team. play like barcelona & arsenal.

Why dont you go for mikel as a Deep lying playmaker as you're saying you are losing a few balls also, Lampard is not exactly a complete playmaker, also you see that in the chelsea matches, he is more like an central midfielder - attack, Put him running into channels and long shot activated, Essien Ball winning midfielder.
Worked for me, Lampard became the player of the year. I would give it a shot.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Also dzeko can be used as advanced forward, worked for me beside Drogba.

Lampard set to box to box he's amazing scored 23 and made 17 assists in 1st season

chelsea fans here! dzeko as CF. let drogba on bench since he kinda old. 2 stopper def? 1 cover & 1 stopper make ur choice who to pick. tried formation 4-1-3-1-1. play 3 CM to rotate ur squad. built ur own tactics. as FB let them attack, since no winger u playing let them press own half enough. 2 def & mikel set a own half. let essien press all-time & drogba + hard tackle cos once drogba exhausted change others. to many striker. get rid anelka & drogba. even drogba is my fav all time striker. all is personal.. i'm not pro but that's my idea! mid area set short pass, through pass sometimes. long shot all set rarely to whole team. play like barcelona & arsenal.

I know Drogba isn't going to last for long, but he's currently still capable of magic and he's tutoring Lukaku, so I'm not gonna sell him yet. But I agree I have too many an too old strikers now. Benayoun and anelka have got to go in the near future. I'll try the stopper-cover combo.
Wont the midfield be too crowded with a 4-1-3-1-1 formation and the short passing?

Why dont you go for mikel as a Deep lying playmaker as you're saying you are losing a few balls also, Lampard is not exactly a complete playmaker, also you see that in the chelsea matches, he is more like an central midfielder - attack, Put him running into channels and long shot activated, Essien Ball winning midfielder.
Worked for me, Lampard became the player of the year. I would give it a shot.
Also dzeko can be used as advanced forward, worked for me beside Drogba.

That's actually a very good idea, caus Lampard really misses flair to be a great playmaker. Would you set Mikel to a defend, or a support duty?

Lampard set to box to box he's amazing scored 23 and made 17 assists in 1st season

Interesting. He does seem to fit the profile, except for marking. Gonna give it a try.

Ok, so I would suggest that you vary the roles and duties of your strikers (Edin Dzeko and Didier Drogba) and have one of them on support duty and the other staying on attack. I personally would go for Complete Forward on Support for Dzeko and Complete Forward on Attack for Drogba. This allows freedom in their roles upfront, instead of them waiting upon passes from the midfield in Lampard and Co. to supply it.

Next would look at either Lampard and Pastore having their roles varied too. I am guessing that Pastore is an Attacking Midfielder on Attack duty, whilst Frank is on Advanced Playmaker, with Attack. Vary this and have Pastore as a supporting Attacking Midfielder (or whatever) and have him drop deeper into the midfield, pick up passes from Lampard, Essien or Mikel - as they are all good enough passers. If you can (and not have already done this) ask Pastore to 'Come Deep to Get the Ball' and this just allows him to pick up the ball more easily.

Lastly, I would suggest removing Terry from being a Stopping defender. It's not utilising the best of his abilities. Change it either to Cover or Defend and maybe is role to a Limited Defender. He does play similarly to this role in real-life and, with his mental attributes being quite high, you might as well vary it.

/tactical ramble.

EDIT-

In all honesty, I didn't read all of the OP. That was kind of selfish. But still, change Pastore into an Attacking Midfielder with Support duty and the other abovementioned.