Suggestions for strengthening Villa.

Craven

The trequartista
Reaction score
I finally got the game the other day and decided I'd start with Aston Villa because I enjoy to play as them on FIFA 09 and figured why not have a go here. While I'm getting a feel for FM09 I decided I'd give Lee's Liverpool taccie a go and Tugs Training instead of making my own and started looking at my squad and finances.

I started off with £6 million to spend so I shopped around to strengthen the defence but every player I offered for was either not being sold or not interested which became very frustrating. I went onto the midfield and offloaded Petrov and Reo-Coker for a combined total of £12.1 million (nobody was interested in paying over the odds for my players unfortunately). With that money I brought in Miguel Veloso (£11.75m).

I shipped out Marlon Harewood faster than McDonalds do burgers and brought in Cardozo (£6.75m), I've seen enough people raving about him so I want to see for myself. The other striker I acquired was Vaclav Kadlec (future prospect) on a free.

GK - Friedel/Guzan
DR - L. Young/Gardner
DL - Shorey
DC - Laursen/Cuellar
DC - Davies/Knight
DMC - Veloso/Sidwell
MC - Barry/Sidwell
AMR - Milner/Routledge
AML - A. Young/Routledge
FC - Cardozo/Carew
FC - Agbonlahor/Carew

Results so far:
A: Rosenberg, W 3-0, Intertoto Cup 3rd Rnd Leg 1
H: Rosenberg, W 1-0, Intertoto Cup 3rd Rnd Leg 2
H: Kalmar FF, W 5-0, UEFA Cup 2nd Qual. Rnd Leg 1
H: Arsenal, W 3-1, Premiership
A: West Ham, W 3-1, Permiership
A: Kalmar FF, W 3-1, UEFA Cup 2nd Qual. Rnd Leg 2

The squad is doing OK but as you can see I have no depth and as soon as the injuries roll in I'm pretty fooked to say the least. I'm coming to the end of the window so I doubt I'll have time to sell any one on and bring in a replacement, so can anyone suggest signings for January that aren't overly expensive? Sporting have already had my pants down over Veloso.

I'd prefer to replace my full backs because L. Young is gash and Shorey isn't far off. I can live with Davies and Laursen at the back for now because they are playing quite well together. I'm happy with the attack for now also so wouldn't worry about suggestions for that.

Any help will be appreciated,
Thank you. :)

adriano from sevilla and rafinha are good left back and right back dont know if they will come to you tho. john goossens is a cheaper version of adriano if you aint got money.

I tried Mattock but Leicester wouldn't sell at a fair price. They wanted stupid money for him.

you do start with 6m but if you ask randy for more he will give you another 5 or 6mil.

i think the weakest parts ov the squard are fullbacks( l young and shory are both very poor like you say) and centre mid and goalkeeper but i stuck with brad fredal till season 2

i the signed casstie solid RB from roma for 1mil

a left bk from juventus think its molinaro got him for bout 625k

a DM from brazil leauge call carioca hes got min fee real of 3m and hes playing better that barry at the min!!

another DM called camacho for bout 6m hes class

i got a striker called eugine sele or summit he plays for shaktar and ukrain got him for bout 2.5m and he is scoring loadz

i got freddi ljungberg for very cheap who was solid backup (better that routlege neway)

and i sold the hare, petrov and taylor

davis is quality and just gets better and better but i would play him with cuella instead of laursen as he is old and slow(i sold him at the end of my 1st season along with reo-cocker carew young shorey and some other dead wood) and play gaby loadz he scored bout bout 25ish for me in 1st season

Last edited:
Joe Mattock for fulham cost me 3.2 Milllion at end first season, i thought i was being ripped off

good squad you got there , but id advise you to hang to luke young for anthoer few years as he's been solid for my villa team, iv only recently singed a top quality rb coz im competing in the champs league. also, curtis davies is quality on my game , partners john terry in the national squad on a regular basis .
i suggest you try and get gareth bale for left back and he'l slotinto ur 1st team nicely
dnt know how much he would cost but seeing as ur in the first season you mite aswel give it a go

You could sign Henri Saivet from Bordeaux. He is AM LC and ST. He is an excellent prospect.

Would mention that Davies gets really good as the game goes on, as does Cuellar, sold him to Chelsea eventually for £20Mil so hang onto them. In terms of full-backs try Davide Santon for the long run also if you can wait to january or the end of the season often Ebuoe gets left out and wants 1st team football and is well worth the 4-5 mil he would cost.

Before the window shut Tottenham offered £20m for Barry and he wanted to go so I accepted. No point in having players who don't want to play for me so I got Lassana Diarra in and adopted for a defensive approach while my players try to gel. I brought Freddy Ljungberg in as wing cover for Milner and A. Young and payed £1.3m for Santon.

He's not better than Young and Gardner just yet but looks good for the future. Still going to get in a couple of full backs to replace Shorey and L. Young in January though.

I've changed to my own 4-4-2 formation now as Lee's Liverpool tactic was no longer having an effect without Barry in the MC role. :(