Sunday League to Champions League

• Thread starter Thread starter NathanITFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 118
  • Views Views 24K
First look at the squad and their is some potential with this team to push for play offs although we're currently sitting 16th. The defence is significantly strong, with young promising midfielders although a lack of real fire power up top so introducing my first signing as a football manager...
View attachment 1090588
I brought in Will Hoskins on a free, a striker that I thought would work off of target man Dieseruvwe and grab some goals for the club especially at this level, when literally two days later...
View attachment 1090594

What an introduction to managerial life, away to table toppers Halifax and somehow the bookies had us at 10-1 to win probably due to the clubs recent dismal form. However, we upset the odds with a 0-0 draw despite probably edging the game. I know what you're all thinking, after slagging off Micks style of play and countless 0-0 draws, I was bound to draw 0-0 in my first game. However 28 seconds into his first game and Hoskins bags himself his first goal, hopefully the first of many, in a 2-1 home win against Gainsborough. The next game, was the final FA Trophy 4th qualifying round against Grantham where we made 7 changes and convincingly won 3-0 where we'll play Nantwich in the next round.
View attachment 1090595

December Fixtures
View attachment 1090731Bradford PA - Massively convincing win, dominated from the first minute to the last minute. Also, striker, George Taylor, 19 year old academy graduate, bagged a brace.
Northwich - Changes aplenty and it showed, an even contest which was eventually won by The Harries due to a Gnahoua goal.
Darlington - Another two goals for Will Hoskins and 2 in 2 for Gnahoua secures another 3 points for Kiddy.
Worcester - Game to forget for every one associated with Kidderminster. I take part of the blame as I changed formation and tactics at 1-0 down during half time. I went attacking and went with wingers which left us open and easy to counter, however 5-0 is a pathetic embarrassing scoreline, which the players know...
View attachment 1090732
I personally want to join and reunite with the players and personally pay every fan after that dismal defeat, hopefully the last defeat for a while as I don't like this losing malarkey, maybe Alan Pardew is a better manager than me after all?

January Fixtures
View attachment 1090740 Worcester- We face Worcester the game after we got trounced 5-0 by them and the draw was a fair result, one point out of a potential 6 against Worcester isn't good enough for a team of our calibre and reputation.
Salford - Back to winning ways and what a way to do it, 4-1 away thumping of Salford, could've been more as well!
Stalybridge - A clean sheet and a convincing 2-0 was exactly what was needed.
Hungerford - Score line suggests it was closer than it really was, we battered them and should've won by a more convincing score line.
AFC Telford - Another game we deserved to win, countless missed opportunities but a brace by Arthur Gnahoua makes it 7 goals in 5 games for him!
Nuneaton - A game we deserved to lose, second best throughout but a 30 yard screamer by James McQuilkin saves us.
Brackley - Another game we were fortunate enough to get a point from but a game we should be winning.

All in all, an unbeaten month and still in the FA trophy which is a chance to gain more money for the club so I'm certainly not complaining, especially as we are now closer to the play offs than we are to the relegation zone. 4 points away from play offs however all teams around us have a game in hand.
View attachment 1090741

We started the month with a signing. Ben Hedley arrived on loan for the rest of the season from Morecambe. He will be used as a ball winning midfielder to give extra support to the defence and will slot in the middle of our midfield three.

February Fixtures
View attachment 1090763
Since we got embarrassed in late December against Worchester, I couldn't have asked for a better run of form!

Boston - A super first half saw us 3-1 up at the break however a sloppy uninspiring second half nearly cost us a place in the Quarter finals.
Curzon - Again a strong first half was nearly undone by a lacklustre second.
Chorley- Back to our best with a comfortable 3-1 win away at Chorley.
Stockport - The most one sided draw you'll ever see. 24 shots compared to their 4, however our goal was very fourtunate as Hinchcliffe decided to punch the ball in his own net.
AFC Flyde - A end to end thriller was won by Kiddy including three second half goals for once to complete a superb comeback to book our place in the semi finals against Tranmere Rovers!
After that victory against AFC Fylde, we received a message..
View attachment 1090765

View attachment 1090764
A look at the table and we are now only one point off Harrogate in the play offs. With this current form, Tamworth who are leading the table are within our sights as they're only 9 points ahead of us.

We started the month with some disappointing news, Will Hoskins was ruled out for 3-4 weeks meaning he'd miss the FA Trophy semi final double header.

Following the disappointing news about Hoskins, I decided to bring in Max Hazeldine on a free. The ex Accrington Stanley striker had been without a club since the summer but I feel he could easily do a job as a poacher in this Kidderminster side.

Two more arrivals due to our recent youth intake coming through...
View attachment 1090831
Mike Hall goes straight on the bench and will challenge Hornsby for the number one jersey. 2 current stars, potentially rising to 5 suggests he was a no brainer.
View attachment 1090835
Robbie McDonnell, stats are impressive for a 16 year old at conference north level. Will be around the first team but finds his first team chances currently limited due to Gnahoua, Hoskins, Hazeldine and Taylor. Will look to send him on loan asap.
March Fixtures

View attachment 1090844
FC United - a comfortable 2-0 win to start the month off.
Tranmere - The first leg of the FA Trophy away from home. We lost 1-0 however we definitely deserved to get more from the game.
Alfreton - Great reaction from the players as we stuff Alfreton 3-1 including a goal for Max Hazeldine, 9 minutes into his home debut.
Tranmere - Again a game we deserved to win and should have inside the 90 minutes until an Andy Cook screamer forces extra time with 8 minutes to go. However we brushed aside the set back and managed to book ourselves a place at Wembley in superb fashion.
Tamworth - 3 days after we played 120 minutes against a strong Tranmere team we play table toppers Tranmere, a fixture clash, I'm furious was allowed to even happen! Fitness tooks its toll as we fell to a 2-1 defeat despite deserving more from the game.
Harrogate - After our first league defeat in two months, we came back in flying fashion demolishing Harrogate 6-1. The biggest surprise of the afternoon was the fact Gnahoua failed to find the net. Williams and Truslove decided to have a goal of the season contender in this hammering aswell.
AFC Fylde - We fell to another defeat against a strong AFC Fylde side away from home. A game that we deserved to lose and was made even harder due to a second booking for Jared Hodgkiss.
View attachment 1090843
So we sit in the final place of the play offs, separated only by one point. Top spot may seem a little too optimistic now as we are now 12 points off. If only we managed to beat Tamworth, which would've been more achievable if the fixtures favoured us!

April Fixtures
View attachment 1090888
Halifax - A well deserved 3-2 loss is our first back to back defeats I've suffered as a manager and was particularly disappointing as we were 2-0 up.
Gloucester - A 3-2 win flatters them a little bit, scoreline suggested it was closer than it was although a brace from centre half Tyrone Williams secured the win
Boston - BIG game at the time, one point separating the two sides in the play offs and we fourtunately won 2-0.
Altrincham - Another 3-2 scoreline, none of these 0-0 **** like you do with Mick. I feel my team take the lead and then become complacent at times allowing teams to get back into the game when we should be putting it to bed.
Bradford PA - We were 4th coming into this game, 3 points ahead of Boston in 6th just outside the play offs with two goals better goal difference so a draw was enough to see us reach the play offs. We got the job done via a 3-0 win although Bradford PA can feel hard done by as they deserved to get a point out of the game and the scoreline certainly flattered us.
After the Bradford PA game, the board wanted to extend my contract by a year, however I managed to persuade them to uplevel the youth system before signing my contract extension. We are now on a wage of £650!!

As you can see we now face a double header against Halifax, a team I have failed to beat on two occasions as Kidderminster manager however, there is a first for everything. Also in the month of May, we travel to Wembley for the final of the FA trophy against Lincoln, I just hope that isn't the last time we go to Wembley this season and hopefully win!

The final table looked like this...
Nuneaton managed to claw themselves out of the relegation places after being in them for the majority of the season and a good season for Darlington as they returned to this level of football since their reformation.
View attachment 1090889

Play offs and FA Trophy Final!!

View attachment 1090890
First leg at home and as you can see we truly dominated the whole game from the first minute to the last. Should have been a lot more convincing and only a Elton Ngwatala, a player who has rarely featured only coming off the bench for 20 minute cameos just like today, goal separated the two sides. Hopefully a similar result and performance in the return leg!!

View attachment 1090891
Another outstanding dominant display, well and truly robbed! They dominated the first ten minutes and took the lead through a Jordon Burrow header from a corner and then it was all us. 4 clear cut chances and we failed to take our chances as Gnahoua, Hazeldine and Hoskins all had an off day in front of goal. Such a horrible way to lose on penalties especially as we deserved to win the tie over the two legs and the boys have been fantastic since I took over in December.
I forced the boys to watch the Halifax staff, players and fans celebrate and told them to remember the feeling they currently feel as none of us will ever feel like this again as this will only spur us on more and make us strive and more determined to succeed next year.

We cant feel too sorry for ourselves though as we have a final and a trip to Wembley to prepare for...
View attachment 1090892
What an anti climax to the season, play off heartache and now a final defeat. Lincoln definitely deserved the win, better than us in every aspect and Theo Robinson had Tyrone Williams for toast the whole game. Anyway we can take pride in the fact we reached the final, beating Tranmere over two legs and then taking Lincoln into extra time.

Halifax beat AFC Fylde in the final of the play offs. Craig Westcarr won player of the year and Dominic Roma won manager of the year after finishing 13th with Gainsborough Trinity despite me voting ex Wrexham boss Andy Morrell after he guided Tamworth to promotion as champions, I feel a little hard done by for not even being on the shortlist, maybe I am having myself just as much as the silver fox that is Alan Pardew.

As a club, player of the year went to Jared Hodgkiss, which surprised me as I thought runner up Arthur Gnahoua was a certainty, however he swooped goal of the season and young player of the year. Signing of the season was awarded to Max Hazeldine. I look forward to seeing you all next season for hopefully a step closer to the football league with promotion to the National League.

Unlucky at the end mate, I'm sure you'll go up with 17/18

A lot of out goings in the summer transfer window. Emmanuel Diesurevwe left for Chester for £10,000, he never featured under me after being out for 7 months injured and he was one of the highest paid players on £825. Another departure was Zaine Francois-Angol, another player who rarely featured, I wanted a defensive full back and he didn't fit the criteria, another high paid player off the wage bill as he was on £1,000 a week. I tried to renew Will Hoskins contract but he wanted £1,000+ a week and I thought we could find a better replacement for cheaper. Elton Ngwatala was another departure although I did try and renew his contract but he was adamant he wanted to leave. Another high paid player who didn't feature for me that left was Stambolziev, who was pocketing £600 a week.

Now for the players that we've brought in...

View attachment 1090916
Goalkeeper was a priority as Hornby returned to Burton after his loan expired so in came James Talbot, the ex Sunderland goalkeeper looks a great acquisition with no real weak areas to his game.

View attachment 1090919
Callum Grogan came in on a free, he is back up to centre halves Lowe and Williams, some impressive defensive stats for a 20 year old playing his trade in the Conference North especially for a 19 year old.

View attachment 1090920
Charlie Dunkerley came in just to give Hazeldine and Gnahoua some healthy competition, he will be in and around the first team and for an 18 year old, he has some promising stats with bags of potential.

View attachment 1090921
Peter Kioso, again he wont be expected to start but will give healthy competition to Jared Hodgkiss at right back as last season he was our only natural right back. At 17 years old, I expect a big feature for this lad.

View attachment 1090922
Will Hatfield, I was trying most of the summer to bring in Hatfield, the ex Leeds academy graduate will start in the attacking midfield position and will hopefully get a hand full of assists and goals this coming season.

View attachment 1090923
Bradley Clayton, released by Brentford in July, we acquired Clayton to give healthy striking options. Again Clayton doesn't seem to have a real weakness to his game and will improve with age.

Fixtures round up

View attachment 1090925
2 wins and 3 losses. Tough preseason fixtures playing 4 teams in leagues above us including a strong West Brom side. Made sure we played a weaker team before kickstarting the season to ensure we finished on a positive, confident, winning start.

The bookies have us favourites to go up this season at 5-1 and I agree, anything other than promotion this season is definitely deemed a failure.

View attachment 1090926
This is how we will line up. A flat back four that focus predominantly on defending rather than anything else. Two central midfields in Truslove and Croasdale looking to support both attack and defence with Hedley sitting in the middle as a ball winning midfielder breaking up opposition attacks. Hatfield ahead of them looking to find the holes and link midfield and attack. Gnahoua and Hazeldine up front as defensive forwards and poachers. We will play standard and flexible and look to exploit the middle due to the numbers we have in the centre of the park and due to the lack of wingers of overlapping full backs.

August Fixtures
View attachment 1090975
Gainsborough - 3-1 win to kick off the season. Arther Gnahoua starts the season the way he finished it with a hat trick.
Stockport - We fall to a one nil defeat to Stockport despite having more clear cut chances than they did shots.
Alfreton - A carbon copy of the Stockport defeat, failing to take chances costing us once again.
Boston - Typical, after struggling for goals, we hit 6 past Boston including 5 from Max Hazeldine which is a new conference north record.
Altrincham - We go a goal down early on but then controlled the remainder of the game, finally breaking a solid Altrincham side down with a 88th minute thunderbolt by Ryan Croasdale.
Redditch - We play the newly promoted side away from home to finish the first month of the season and take the lead early through a Gnahoua strike however we concede to their only shot on target and end up drawing the game.

View attachment 1090976

A lot of football to still be played so cant read too much into the table, however 5 points off top isn't what I was hoping for by the end of our first month especially as we beat them already this season.

September Fixtures
View attachment 1091121
Harrogate - After going down 1-0, the lads showed great character getting back into the game and winning 2-1.
Darlington - A 5-0 thumping including another hat trick for Gnahoua, also Charlie Dunkerley came off the bench and grabbed himself a goal on his debut.
Braintree - We faced third bottom Braintree and crumbled with a 3-2 defeat however they played some lovely football and deserved the 3 points. Bradley Clayton coming off the bench to grab his first goal for the club.
Arsley - A lot of changes but a very convincing win, Dunkerley grabbing himself the match ball and a clean sheet for youth player Mike Hall in goal are promising signs.
Worcester - After our 5-0 defeat to them last season the boys took great revenge with a 4-0 drubbing of them.
Gloucester - LIVID, we went into the game thinking we'd had already won it, no tempo or fight and they deservedly turned us over. Will Hatfield grabbed his first goal for the club to hopefully kick start his season.
Matlock - Another disappointing result drawing to Matlock, a weakened side should still be beating teams like Matlock although a sending off for Peter Kioso didn't help matters.

View attachment 1091118
So we still sit 5 points off top, I'm just looking for a bit more consistency and we should be there. At the minute we seem to thump a team 3,4,5-0 and then fall to a defeat against a team we should be winning against so at little more consistency and we should be doing bits.

October
We started the month with a new signing in Johan ter Horst, he arrived on a free following his release from Hull City. He will start up front as a poacher as I feel we need a more consistent goalscorer and so he proves as you will see with this months results.
View attachment 1091163

Results
View attachment 1091164Matlock - in the FA cup replay, we hammer Matlock 4-0 with another clean sheet for Hall and a first career goal for 16 year old youth player Robbie McDonnell.
Solihull Moors - W really didn't show up as the scoreline suggests as we fall to a 2-0 defeat.
Bradford PA- A game we really should have won, which is when I decided to bring in ter Horst.
Solihull Moors- We play them a week after our league defeat and this time we decided to show up and ter Horst grabbed a goal on his debut.
AFC Fylde - A game we should have won by more, another goal for Johan ter Horst and one for fellow striker Max Hazeldine.
FC United - A game that we truthfully didn't deserve to win, we struggled to get going but managed to win the game 3-1 thanks to goals from our new deadly front two.
Chorley - 1-0 down at half time, I decided to bring on the pace and power of Arthur Gnahoua to good affect as he grabbed the winner after ter Horst keeps up his goal a game record.
View attachment 1091166
So we are now 7 points off top due to our poor record at the start of the month but I feel like things are starting to click and the club are on the up, we have also managed to qualify for the first round of the FA Cup where we'll play Chelmsford away.

Chelmsford - Ran out 2-1 winners in the first round of the FA cup, setting up a second round tie against MK Dons.
Nantwich - Again 2-1 winners sees us beat struggling Nantwich, deadly duo getting another goal each.
AFC Telford - 1-1, a late AFC Telford goal sees us drop two valuable points.
Burscough - Last qualifying round of the FA trophy sees our reserves and youth team players progress through thanks to goals from Bradley Clayton and Sean Williams. We play Gateshead at home next round.
Salford - Ben Hedley got ruled out for 6-7 weeks 2 days before this crunch game, so Sean Williams came in as he impressed in the last game and we went into half time with a 3-0 lead. Gnahoua came off the bench to bag another goal.
View attachment 1091174
Progress! We are currently only a point off top however they have a game in hand on us so could increase it to 4. I'm hoping for a similar run of form like we had last year to propel us to top of the league in the coming months and hopefully two cup runs to match.

December
First game of December was our second round FA Cup tie against League One side MK Dons...
View attachment 1091210
We played a strong MK Dons side off the park as the stats suggest, 65% possession against a team three divisons above us is some feat. Our deadly duo strike again, the next round draw awaits, maybe a trip to Old Trafford, Anfield, St James's Park..
View attachment 1091211
Well we're going to St James Park but unfourtunately for us its Exeter and not Newcastle. However to be in the third round of the FA Cup is some achievement and Exeter are definitely beatable so maybe a 4th round tie isn't out of reach. I feel that getting to the third round may also raise my profile and get football league chairman having a look at me as their potential manager.
View attachment 1091212
Gateshead - We go a goal down and I fear the worst but no need to when Johan ter Horst is in the mood he was today with a sublime hat trick against Gateshead in the league above us. We drew Barrow in the next round of the cup.
Nuneaton - Due to the amount of yellow cards collected we had numerous suspensions to key players, one of the replacements McQuilikin scored a free kick but we struggled to undo Nuneatons stern defence.
Rushall - A brace from Sean Williams helps see off bottom of the table Rushall as we dominate from first to last minute.
Gainsborough - We deservedly lose our unbeaten run losing to Gainsborough at home which is absolutely unacceptable.
Stockport - Massively dominated throughout the whole game eventually being won by ter Horst.
View attachment 1091214
We have reduced the gap to 3 points and have a 3rd round FA cup game to look forward to so overall I good month for all involved with Kiddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
January
View attachment 1091301
Our FA cup third game round ended in a fair 1-1 draw. We dominated the possession however Exeter were dangerous on the counter, both teams created chances and in the end a draw and a replay was a fair result.

We sit together as a squad awaiting our number to be drawn to find out who we could be facing in the next round..

View attachment 1091302

LECIESTER CITY, the premier league champions of 2016 at home! What an incentive to win our replay against Exeter!

View attachment 1091303
Another even contest with either team capable of winning at ever attack, the game ends as a draw and it goes to penalties, we all know what happened the last time a game went to penalties with me at the helm, this time with the same result as we fall to a heart wrenching defeat as we had the game in the palm of our hands.

Results
View attachment 1091304
Boston - We kickstart January with a 2-1 win, Hazeldine with a brace. ter Horst got injured for 3 weeks in this game and missed the Exeter double header.
Alfreton - Our first clean sheet in a while, Hazeldine getting 4 goals in 3 games so far this month.
Barrow - We beat our division higher opponents Barrow 4-2 away convinvingly, Dunkereley coming off the bench to grab a brace.
Redditch - Typical Kidderminster, we fall short against a team we should be turning over.
Harrogate - A hat trick for the returning ter Horst seals a comeback as we win 3-1.

View attachment 1091305
Top of the league with a game in hand! It's ours to lose now! No distraction as our FA cup run comes to an end however we remain in the FA trophy where we face Tranmere Rovers in the quarter finals.

February
We started the month losing Croasdale, Hedley and Truslove to injuries varying from 2 weeks to 3 months and that was the start of a horror month!
View attachment 1091351
Halifax - We took revenge from last season in a 4-0 hammering, the best I've ever seen us play, completely dominant.
Darlington - score line covers this game, dull and boring.
Altrincham - Big game at the top of the league and we bottle it despite a goal from youth team player Ben Clarke filling in for the injured Croasdale.
Braintree- Another poor performance and result to match.
Worcester - ****** WORCESTER AGAIN! Battered for 90 mins, pathetic result and performance.
Tranmere - Lucky to come away with a draw as we squandered a 2 goal lead however won the replay despite being 2-0 up and throwing it away again at one point.
Gloucester - Another defeat and another dismal display caps off a horrific month of results.

View attachment 1091352
Title was ours to lose and we've done exactly that having to play catch up again, 6 points off but with a game in hand, it is still achievable but we really have threw away what was a great position we were in a month ago.

March Results
View attachment 1091395
Bradford PA - a comfortable 3-1 comes at an expense as ter Horst is injured with 3-4 weeks.
Forest Green - first tie of the FA trophy semi and we claw back a 2 goal deficit in the last 5 mins of the game with a Gnahoua brace.
Solihull Moors - We fall to another league defeat as we throw away a 1-0 lead.
Forest Green - WE ARE GOING TO WEMBLEY AGAIN! An Ashley Carter 90th minute penalty seals a back to back FA Trophy final.
AFC Fylde - 3-0 up with 10 mins to go but we do what we usually do and make things hard for ourselves.
FC United - We go a goal down but manage to turn it round, topped off with a Ben Hedley 30 yard free kick.
Chorley - Typical Kidderminster style we go and lose 1-0 to Chorley sitting in the ****** relegation places.
View attachment 1091397
What an end to the season this is gonna be, so close at the top of the table although we sit top and anything other than top spot is a failure from now on especially as our goal difference could count as an extra point. We play AFC Telford next, MUST WIN GAME, so you know what that means, we'll get spanked 5-0

April
View attachment 1091491
Chorley - We fall to a 1-0 defeat against 2nd bottom Chorley.
AFC Telford - Title hopes over as AFC Telford win and now go 6 points clear.
Nantwich - Another defeat this time against bottom of the league, at this point we slip to 6th and out of the play offs!
Salford - Still 6th as we manage only a draw against Salford away, 6 points is a must in the next two games.
Rushall - We play 3rd bottom and finally pick up a win to put us back in the play offs with Hazeldine returning to fitness and bagging a brace.
Nuneaton - We seal a play off place as we draw 0-0 although a win would've seen us crowned champions.
View attachment 1091492
If only we had picked up wins against Nantwich and Chorley we would be champions but play offs it is again this time we face AFC Fylde, I would be disappointed not to get promoted especially as the lads suffered play off heartache against Halifax last year.

May
AFC Fylde away in the first leg of the Play Offs where we fell short this time last year...
View attachment 1091506
Off to a flyer, we go into the second leg with a 4-1 win away from home! Deadly duo both grabbed goals and Will Hatfield scored a screamer to secure the win, to set us up nicely for the 2nd leg...
View attachment 1091508
We went 2-0 down inside 1 minute and a half! At this point I remembered all the setbacks and times we slipped up throughout the season and thought this would be the case again until the deadly duo save us again!
Not all good news though as Liam Truslove strained his calf and will take injections to get through the final against Solihull Moors but will miss the FA trophy final against Accrington Stanley.
90 minutes away from promotion!...
View attachment 1091523
FFS! We battered them for 80 mins of the game until James Talbot parried a cross into his own goal when it was going to go out for a goal kick. We then push everyone forward and going attacking leaving us open for the counter and they capitalised with 2 further goals. Absolutely gutted, threw away the title and now promotion aswell.
Liam Truslove will take another load of injections for the FA Trophy game, surely we can get some bit of silverware this season...
View attachment 1091524
At least we finally have some silverware under our belts! 2-1 win helped by the fact Accrington had 10 men for 65 mins. Would rather have got promoted but cant complain too much.
View attachment 1091528
Max Hazeldine claims player of the season, scoring 23 goals claiming golden boot, ter Horst 21 goals and Gnahoua 17 goals, how we didn't get promoted I never know but surely next season is our year.

I got an interview with Oldham in League 2 but they chose Woking boss Gary Hill instead.

Back