Sunderland formation Help!!!

Blakemore09

Reaction score
hi i need to know what the best formation for my sunderland team could be at the moment im playing a 4-3-2-1 formation and its just not working any ideas??:S

A formation that works well for Sunderland eh??? Have you tried the one that they used against Man Utd recently??? 1 GK & 10 defenders??? Well it worked for 89 mins anyway... haha!!!

Just try 4-4-2 and try to counter attack vs the big 4 etc and attack vs lower league sides, west brom, hull and wigan etc (:

no offence or anything but you no nothing about english football if you think wigan is a big club lol

Think of the players Wigan have sold in real life this January, then think of how those players are rated in the game. Wigan aren't that small and start the game with a decent squad and some excellent players. Treating them like Stoke will quite probably see you lose. ;)

Think of the players Wigan have sold in real life this January, then think of how those players are rated in the game. Wigan aren't that small and start the game with a decent squad and some excellent players. Treating them like Stoke will quite probably see you lose. ;)

doesnt matter if your players are any good they still aint a big club idiot, they hardly have any history and there fanbase is............ well what fanbase???? NOTTS FOREST ARE A BIGGER CLUB THAN WIGAN BUT THERE IN LEAGUE 1 BECAUSE OF THERE HISTORY

SAFC7 ur dumb. okay? dont talk:) you probly are terrible at this game if you think you can just beat wigan anyday.

no offence or anything but you no nothing about english football if you think wigan is a big club lol

im not taking sides but.

no body said wigan are a 'big club'

steaua bucharest said 'wigan are good on this game' meaning on FM not in real life...

yh wigan arent a big club but a decent club that are hard to beat in real life. which they are lieing in 7th place which is good since last season they were in a relegation battle.

doesnt matter if your players are any good they still aint a big club idiot, they hardly have any history and there fanbase is............ well what fanbase???? NOTTS FOREST ARE A BIGGER CLUB THAN WIGAN BUT THERE IN LEAGUE 1 BECAUSE OF THERE HISTORY

It's nothing to do with size of fanbase, average attendance (Wigan averaging just 1000 less a season than Forest despite being next to several other Premier league clubs) or even money in the bank. Wigan aren't a 'small team' who you can expect to roll over if you play another mid-ranking or lower Premier league team. In FM2009 they are fairly accurately modelled as having some excellent players and a decent squad which places them in a roughly midtable position in the Premiership. You're not going to roll them over with Sunderland. (Note the context of the discussion here - not fanbase size, not money in the bank but whether Sunderland can turn up and roll them over).

I haven't descended to insulting you for a lack of reading comprehension and I'll ignore your puerile insults.

----

re. Sunderland tactics. 4-1-4-1 away from home with 4-4-2 at home might see results. The squad is quite weak though so you'll have to predominately play defensive and hope for some luck to buy some time to get that squad up to Premiership standards.

Wigan are a decent side, as they have shown this season but they are one of those teams that have a good season and then sell or their best players and start again due to not being ''a big club''

im a sunderland fan, playing as sunderland on the game and untill my untimly crisis (read my MAJOR PROBLEM thread) i had just survived relegation at the expence of WIGAN on the last day! wigan have some mint players, which is why i bought 2 of them, they aint a big club. but i dont think the guy was saying they were. theyre a well run club tho. anyhow as far as playing with sunderland goes.....

i have tried many tactics which people have said are good on here and none of them offer consistant results, i cant post screenies because the comp i run fm is bust well and good, but take these results that spring to mind as an example......mags away 2-2/liverpool 3 - 0 sunderland/sunderland4-0 hull/man u 2-3 sunderland/everton 4 -2 sunderland.........the squad is poor and may i say pretty wrong in alot of cases, richardson is much better than on the game, as is anton ferdinand, but every fan can gripe i suppose......your main aim with sunderland in the first season is to play 4-4-2 fairly attacking but not too adventerous (this is because the squad cant really counter attack when playing defensive, and neither can it defend when all out attack)....a good one is "4-4-2 very good middlesbrough" or something along those lines on the tactics download as it gets the best out of jones and cisse, despite being 17th cisse still finished 2nd top scorer. also prepare for some tonkings, and something that really gets to me in this game, if a striker scores one against you, expect a hatrick from him. EVEN HESKEY did it to me, and he's useless. also dont expect to finish mid-table, avoid relegation is a realistic view from the off.

some good things i found out towards the end of the season is in press conferences dont give anything away about your tactics, this worked wonders for me and results picked up. dont send your assistant!! hes a fool.

basically write the first season off as you have no money hardly to work with if you do the proper thing and sign cisse permanently in january, a poor squad for prem standards and no real streangth in defence or midfield. attack is strong as waghorn and price did very well when called upon, but like i said, the defence cant cope with attacking tactics, nore can it withstand pressure for ninety minutes in defensive. a pretty balanced 4-4-2 normal mentality should see you safe and at the start of the second season i got 22million to work with then sold chopra (£2m) diouf (£9.5m) chimbonda (£4m) edwards (£2.35m) and stokes (£4m!!!!) also murphy went in part ex to wigan for valencia and £3m. now theres plaenty of money been spent on quality premier league singings and it looks alot brighter. keeping cisse is a must.

very sorry for the long post, i just didnt want anyone to think like i did that a top ten finish is possible in the first season, it aint! tactics work well but only if team can cope with it.

if all the tactics on these forums didnt work for you

i would suggest you just build your own tactics just play too your teams strengths eg. - if you aint got the brightest players just keep your tactics simple like 4-4-2 counter-attacking the big teams such as arsenal, man utd, chelsea and liverpool

also try increase your teams morale if they are low by doing

-offer new contracts
-less harsh-team talks(tend to up your players confidence for the next game)

hope this helps.

Last edited:
on the team talks front, i find getting angry at half time helps the performance, and be nice-ish at the end of the game so they dont lose too much morale

Hey man got a brill formation u can use for sunderland

4-3-1-2 but have the two strickers out wide running in and the 1 amc running into the box , works every tym .

Why dont you **** right off you glory prawn sandwich eating cockney man utd fan !!!!!!

Back