Reaction score
I am currently manager of Sunderland.

After setting tactics etc right at start of game and formations (4-1-2-2-1, 4-3-1-2, and 4-3-3), all goes reasonably well in pre-season.

Into the forst 6 games, they seem to be ok, and then after the '6th' game, they seem to drop like flies, and concede in game after game.

Any ideas ? I am getting to the stage of seriously stop playing, as this is my 6th or 7th attempt at Sunderland, and cannot seem to shake the 6th match hoodoo

Cheers

The Modfather

Just stick to one tactic, or dont change like every game until the players are used to it(match preparation can help you there).
Raise Morale, when you dont have a game or any spare time offer friendlys against rubbish non league clubs. You should smash them 7-0ish and this will raise morale, but dont do it too close to league games, only on international duty for players that dont go and on long breaks.
Watch fittness levels, if your comfortably winning a match and you have some players whos match fittness is quite low, sub them, let them save the rest of their energy for other games, and league cup, fa cup and european games, if your player a team a lot worse than you that you should easily beat, rest a few of your starters and give fringe players or good youth players a chance so your not wasting the fittness of your stars.

Hi Adman,

Cheers for the tip, will bear all of this in mind...

I have found that the fit GKs are not much cop, whilst Craig Gordon is becoming fit, I may look at a GK on loan until he is up and running..

Cheers for the help, will let you know how I get on.....

Will be nice to hear how you get on, and if you need any ideas for a good goalie try Vincent Enyeama from a team in israel and nigerian International Goalkeeper, might be able to sign on loan but also very cheap so you could possibly buy him for like 250k.

I have had this before with my save as Sunderland, it does get better with Craig Gordon back. I regret not getting a keeper in as I thought Mignolet would be good enough but he isn't up to it (1st season anyway).
Stick with it though as in December I was hovering around 12th-14th but went on a great run second half of the season and ended up one point off Europe.

A few tips that worked for me - I went with a solid 4-1-3-2 formation playing mainly on the counter because I couldn't get the best out of Gyan on his own, and playing on the counter really plays to his pace.
Try getting in Milevskyi on loan he worked wonders for me alongside Gyan.
Sitck it out as the board are very generous with transfer budgets in future seasons.

Hi All, I finished 8th after the first season, a lot of rebuilding to do, bought in Samba, and also redone midfield, will send screenshot at the end of 2nd season...

Hi all, decided to call it quits with Sunderland, as I have found them to be impossible to manage.
The defence, no matter who you pick, seem to have a 'cullinder' mentality, and leak goals in every game... I hold my hands up and say I tried, but will not go back them again....

Unlucky with your attempts at Sunderland bud! I am a Sunderland fan and I cannot manage them either!

I tend to bring in quite a lot of new faces though as we do have a lot of injury prone players e.g. Mensah, Gordon & Fraiser Campbell!

Shame you gave up! Hopefully we will be better to manage on FM 2012 with our new signings :)

It takes a few tries. Most teams don't play their top side in friendlies. They've probably not had time to gel or adapt to your tactic.

Sincerely,

The Sexington.

When you start your slump of form, having performed earlier in the season, what do you say in the teamtalk and the press conf after that game along with the pregame and press before your next match? You see, this is where the keys lies to bouncing right back.