wolfie77

Reaction score
Having completed a season with Wolves using a 4-2-4 formation the following happend:-

League Pos - 8th
Goals For - 77
Goals Against - 53

How do people set up their defence so that you conceed fewer goals but don't loose the attackingness of the tactic.

GK - Keeper (defend)
FB - Full Back (Support)
FB - Full Back (Support)
CB - Centre Back (Defend)
CB - Centre Back (Defend)
CM - Centre Mid (Defend)
CM - Centre Mid (Support)
ARM - Inside Forward (Support)
ALM - Inside Forward (Support)
FW - Advanced Forward (Attack)
FW - Poacher (Attack)

Team Instructions:

Balanced, Attacking, Direct, Cautious, Zonal

Defensive Line (7 clicks from the left)
Width (17 clicks from the left)
Tempo (17 clicks from the left)
Time Wating (4 clicks from the left)

I've set my full backs to man mark with no tight marking

I'm not sure how I should set up the closing down. It's currently the following

GK & CB - 10
FB - 14
CM - 16
CM - 18
W - 18
FW - 20

Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

So Fullbacks - Zonal Marking (works best as far as I know).If they man mark they could let the opponent get past them.
Second : If you want to minimise spaces between lines you could play a higher defensive line with close marking and closing down set to maximum for all players excluding CBs.
Third : if you want to play a neutral defensive line then use stopper/cover combination.I have verry good results with this too.Also make them close down at the exact same setup as theyre mentality.
Fourth : Nike Defence.This includes stopper/cover combination and works like this : FBs mentality set to 10 (right in the middle) cover CB has 6 mentality stopper CB has 8 mentality and if you want DM has 9 mentality.Oh and its better to use standar CBs when using a medium defensive line.If you play high or deep defensive line Nike defense isnt any good because getting a high defensive line the cover CB will eliminate any offside players and if its deep it will leave space.So try using Limited Defenders when playing high/deep defence.
Hope its helps :)

Thanks for the reply. I will give the Nike Defence a go. If I implement this will I need to alter the mentality of the attacking players so that there arent any unnecessary gaps between the defence and the midfield and midfield and attack. eg

Player Mentalities

GK - 7
FB - 10
FB - 10
CB - 6
CB - 8
CM - 9
CM - 11
W - 12
FW - 13