Surprise Good 1st Seasons

Redstag

Reaction score
Ok I think anyone who has ever played more than one game of FM09 realises that there is a usual method to the game. Same teams come 1st-4th City always buy Srna etc.

However have you ever encountered a team have a surprisingly good 1st season.

In my Real Madrid save Hull managed 6th place in their 1st season. They made some excellent signings and came ahead of Liverpool, Everton, West Ham, Aston Villa etc.

Now at start of 2nd season they look a formidable team.

That makes a decent change, Hull almost always get relegated for me, and if not, they barely avoid it.

You using a custom database?

in my psv save, tottenham made the champions league ahead of liverpool:O

I downloaded the Update 2009 one. I wanted to pick Real Madrid. Im getting tired of it. They are too good.

Casillas, Ramos, Vidic, Albiol, Chellini, Ribery, Xabi Alonso, Kaka, Ronaldo, Villa, Benzema
Subs: Dudek, Arbeloa, Pepe, Robben, Lassana Diarra, Higuain, Raul

Its a bit tiring but the update is great. Available here.

And there were plenty more where that came from. Beckham moved to Bolton and had the highest assist count in leauge. Kevin Davies came 2nd in goalscorer list.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Oops I posted this thread twice. I included a few screenshots of who Hull signed in this thread:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f55/surprise-good-1st-seasons-t18783.html#post147683

I don't like playing with 'top teams'. Tottenham is about as high as I go on the quality ladder, simply because the game becomes too easy.

I prefer teams like Tottenham, Palmeiras, Lazio, etc. Not right at the top, but able to attract some quality nonetheless.

On my first ever save on the default patch, i was surpirsed to see that West Brom secured themselves a strong 4th place taking Liverpool out of the top 4. They made no signings and i wondered, has anyone else realised Ishamel Miller is a goal machine on that patch, well he was for them anyway. So yeah, a West Brom 4th and they continued to get a top 7 after that for about 5 seasons when i stopped playing that save.

Im the same Billy I usually like taking a UEFA Cup standard team and turning them into a Champions League winning team and moving on after.

In my actual save game I have going im Spurs in 2033. This is just a fantasy football thing. I wanted to test out this new Galactico era.

Im the same Billy I usually like taking a UEFA Cup standard team and turning them into a Champions League winning team and moving on after.

In my actual save game I have going im Spurs in 2033. This is just a fantasy football thing. I wanted to test out this new Galactico era.

2033? Impressive. Furthest I have gotten is to 2015 with Tottenham in FM 2008, and to 2014 on FM 2009 with AFC Wimbledon. A bit of LLM is fun too every now and again.

Tried to do a Peterborough game. LLM not for me.

Haha, was it the lack of transfer funds that got you? Or players with grey attributes? :p

Bit of everything. I got promoted in my first season and then 3 seasons in championship losing in playoffs twice. I dunno maybe I just need more practice with them.

I've done various saves including Man City (5 seasons)(yes i know, looking back), Reading (5 seasons) making a complete dream team with the likes of Pato, Akinfeev etc, Everton (2 seasons) got a great team won the eufa cup 1st time round, and now i decided to play with Leeds because i found from those saves that getting into the prem gives you a stupid amount of money and you are able to build a full new squad which gets boring for me.