SaintBantam

Reaction score
Hi :)

Was just wondering of anyone ever had any players who you thought were just average back-up or rotation players who have had great seasons and ended up as a key player.

This guy is mine:

View attachment 152618

WARNING: You don't have to read all this to understand the thread! Just comment if you want. :)

During the season-break, with title-chasing West Brom, Dorian Prigent looked on his way out as he was all set to make a £10m move to Dortmund. We had two senior strikers, but we had one great english lad coming from FC Porto. Unfortunately - or not - we had to cancel the transfer as we couldn't free up enough funds. Inevitably, Prigents move was cancelled and he prepared for a season of 5 minute substitute appearances.

I played him sparingly for a few games, and he got a couple of goals. He also was scoring regularly in the reserves. Then I played him in a load of cup games, and he scored loads of goals! I asked him train his quickness and a week later it increased. From a combination of scoring loads of goals and the other striker getting injured he started starting pretty much every game. Now he's keeping my other Striker out the squad! Infact, he's even turned out to be my leading scorer over my £45m signing last year.

So, do you have anyone like this? :D

for me it was Magaye Gueye. second season with Everton. Didn't play him until i only had one main striker fit so i brought him in gave him his debut at home to Man United, scored a hat-trick... that was in march. coulda ****** used him earlier. went on to score another 6 or 7 for the rest of the season.
def guna be a starting striker for me next season.

for me it was Magaye Gueye. second season with Everton. Didn't play him until i only had one main striker fit so i brought him in gave him his debut at home to Man United, scored a hat-trick... that was in march. coulda ****** used him earlier. went on to score another 6 or 7 for the rest of the season.
def guna be a starting striker for me next season.

Haha, nice one. Thanks for replying! :D I think it's that they benefit from the formation your using, but you just don't think they look good enough. That's what I did. I underestimated Prigent's super-finishing. He was scoring from all over the place!

about halfway through the first season at man united rooney lost fitness so i dropped him for 2 or 3 games and hernandez steped up and kept him out of the team for teh rest of teh season so much so that rooney didn't make teh team of the season for the first 2 seasons.

Playing with my local team SønderjyskE . We bought this guy this summer, from another danish team. He's allright, but some of our other strikers are better.. Anyways, my best striker gets injured, and then i had to put in this guy. 9 goals in 9 games. Fantastic.

For me it was Steven Pienaar, average premier league player and finished on the shortlist for world player of the year in his first season at Spurs.

Lionel Messi won it, of course. -_-

Haha, unlucky he got injured. Super-sub for the reserves. 4 goals in 4 sub appearances? Not bad. :D

---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

For me it was Steven Pienaar, average premier league player and finished on the shortlist for world player of the year in his first season at Spurs.

Lionel Messi won it, of course. -_-

It's more predictable than the SPL. :(

Getting Pienaar onto the shortlist for World Player of the Year is some achievement, by the way! :O

Haha, unlucky he got injured. Super-sub for the reserves. 4 goals in 4 sub appearances? Not bad. :D

Well, in the pre season i played him as a sub for my best striker. In the last friendly game he gets injured.. But i must say, i don't regret playing this guy.
Yeah really, he got injured in my last game. Lost 5-4 -.-
This team usually sits in the bottom of the Danish Superliga. He bangs in goals, i win only 1-0 or 2-1 everytime but still. now i sit 3rd :D

---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

It's more predictable than the SPL. :(

Getting Pienaar onto the shortlist for World Player of the Year is some achievement, by the way! :O

Definitely, i was so pleased to have him on there, but Messi winning it is as likely as Robert Green making at least 1 mistake a season.

So far mine has to be Neymar, i never thought he would do this well for me.

Definitely, i was so pleased to have him on there, but Messi winning it is as likely as Robert Green making at least 1 mistake a season.

Lol :D

Yeah. :( I hope it's not gonna be like this for the next ten years in real life...:(

Salomon Kalou and Yossi Benayoun are really impressing in my Chelsea save and are Keeping Malouda and Anelka out of the team.

kevin doyle is always someone i sign and he always always has an unreal record. a must have signing imo for any team with good players

well am sure you could get some1 better if you wanted for cheaper, hes not a bargain or anything its just ive had him as a player in my games since he was playing in the league of ireland so i always sign him. if you look though he often scores a lot of goals for wolves in the game and tends to be signed by teams like newcastle for 10 million plus. hes a great squad player to have.

I have one, Jordan Bowery in first season as Chesterfield. Sent him on loan to BSP club Tamworth where he was average. The day before his loan expired, my main ST was injured so I rejected loan extension to use him as cover. Put him in first team to see what he could do and the result was phenomenal for his low finishing attribute (I mean come on, Finish of 7 and he scores 9 in 6?). He scored a hat trick in that game so kept him in and he scored 4 in the next.

Lima, from Braga. More than a goal a game in the first two seasons.

I've had success with mediocre regens at all positions. They just need to be properly motivated. Usually aren't good for starting week in and week out, but on the occasional week that they do start they will give great effort in order to get 1st team football. Often times that means football at another club (have cashed in on players I signed for free or under 1 million this way)