hisnameisbear

Reaction score
I started FM 2011 with a random club, Tours FC, and am have just been promoted into Ligue 1 (3rd in Ligue 2 2011/2012) after finishing 9th in the first season. Once again I've got basically no money for transfers (though could possibly sell some of my more expensive players to get an extra £1 mil), think the exact budget is £400k transfer/£180k wages.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any general tips on surviving in my first season in the top division (or any small club recently promoted).

See if you can get some experienced free transfers on short contracts the first season or two,just to help you establish your team at that level

Did surprisingly well with free transfers, got Babel + Vanden Borre + Scezeny + Kavianpour + Sodinha + some others so relatively pleased.
Still finding it tough, about 6 games in and only managed a win or two + similar number of draws. Just about got my squad blending, now trying to shore up defensive positioning. Managed to concede 4 in 25 mins against Le Mans FC. Ouch.
Any more tips?

play counter attacking football can be quite effective if your team is generally weaker,so maybe that could be an option?

Don't be so ashamed if you do go down, you'll go down with a better squad, and can rebuild again, but look for some free agents, that have been around for a while and know how to keep teams up. Try mixing a bit of youthfullness in there as well, always helps.