Surviving when massively overachieving

Codswede

Reaction score
I'm currently in a save with Grimsby, I've just managed three consecutive promotions and despite being tipped to finish 23rd in League 1 last season we came second! I've been playing with two tactics, a 4-2-3-1 for away games and 4-4-2 with AMR/AML at home, using a Target man. My tackling proficiency is the squad's best attribute and jumping/heading is strong all over. Passing is a clear weakness and I'm not sure if my keeper (the same as from season 1) can make the step up.

Whilst the achievement of getting GTFC back to the second tier is amazing, I have a 9,000 seat stadium, poor facilities and the club is surviving on the breadline, I've not been able to spend a single penny to bring any players in.

Now I'm in the Championship against the likes of Cardiff, Newcastle etc. does anyone have any advice on how to set up the team, and how to stay up? My wages average around £2500, and having been beaten 5-0 at Wigan in the opener I can't see any way to stay up. I feel like we're massively overachieving and would have been better off staying down for a few more seasons, and I'd be gutted to be sacked :( please help.

1. Look for cheap eastern European regens, slovenia, belarus them type of nations.

2. try to make some money by selling your most valuable players to strengthen your whole team.

3. look threw national teams to find free players that your scouting pool wont include.

4. Hire foreign staff to improve your knowledge of other regions.

I am currently in the championship with Southend after 2 Back to Back titles. So i kind of know how you feel but i got 2 mil to spend and sold my top players giving me around 4mil.

P.S I am currently 3 points clear at the top.

Good luck.

what bakestar said, also if passing is your weakness either look for cheap efficient passers or set up the dreaded long ball tactic since you play with a target man already, have efficient crossers too who literally "pump it into the box"

Thanks for your advice, I still have quite a fair amount of my wage budget left despite having quite a large squad, maybe for 3/4 more players but still a maximum wage of £4500. Will try and find some experienced foreign players I think, and almost definitely go for long ball this season in the hope of snatching a few wins!

Think my main goal has to be to try and boost the finances in general, should be easy enough being in the second tier now... And hopefully then I can get a new stadium and youth facilities.

will let you know how it goes!

I had the same issues with Lincoln when I got to that stage, although my finances were slightly better off thanks to a couple of good fa cup runs. First season in the championship I barely survived, it was a huge struggle. Managed to ditch a lot of the older players that year as well, freeing up some budget, which allowed me to bring in Ongenda on a free, a personal favourite of mine. After that point, I basically became a 3 man team, Ongenda, and two very good Irish regen wingers I'd secured in the second season thanks to a tv game with West Ham in the 3rd round.

Is there a way to make your better players more influential in games?

Mine are are a box-to-box CM and two wide attacking midfielders, but I don't seem to be getting much out of the two AMs... My strikers can finish and don't pass up many chances, but since starting the championship I'm getting very few attacking highlights!

I have a how to make money post in my UNCLE MAD's ... thread.

1. Look in Scandinavia (esp Denmark/Norway).
2. Get in as many loans as possible - get a good parent team (somebody in the EPL or the German top tier) so that you can get good players loaned in for no money.
3. Have as many friendlies (even thru the season - play your youth team if need be) against better teams away or local rivals at home.
4. Get free players in ... even if its only to sell them after a season.
5. Try to stay in the champo but focus on having a cup run/winning a cup - go in Mr Langvatn's tactics league thread and download the best tactics from there (Danilo?) and use that at least for a season ...