Danny

Premium
Reaction score
Swansea Domination - 451 - v1

My aim making this tactic, was like most tactics.. Stop letting goals in and score your own! And I think I've done a pretty good job doing this. The tactic was created in an Arsenal save I started, thought maybe it was working too well as I was Arsenal, decided to start as Swansea, a mid-table Premier League side and see what damage I could do. And 18 games into the save (28 if you include friendly games) it's been a success!

View attachment 338264

As you can see, we hit the ground running; unbeaten in our first 16 games, we did gain our first loss when we played a Man Utd side who we just couldn't cope with, it's as simple as that. But even after that smashing we came out next game and won 3-0, so all is good.

The tactic itself looks and is set-out like this:

View attachment 338263

The lone striker needs to be a strong, tall and tough one, I had Bony and he's been perfect so far in that role, only 5 goals in 12 games (4 assists) but he holds the ball up well, brings others in and creates goals, just as I want. The two wide men are key, creating, linking and scoring! They need to be creative, good at passing and able to cross, along with being able to hit the back of the net. I used Ronaldinho & Sigurosson, mainly.

The CM's, without them this tactic won't work they need to be strong in both attack and defense, they help out with the attacks and track back when defending, perfect player for this role would be Yaya, Toure, sadly I'm Swansea and had to use Jonjo Shelvey & Tim Cahill (bought) - And it worked well, but with better players I'd see much better results!

A standard Anchor man will work fine here, tackling; marking; work rate; positioning, strength and stamina all above 14/15 would be great.

LCB is a standard CB (D) while the RCB is a BDP (D) so he needs to be a bit creative and able to pass the ball well, I use Ashley Williams in this role. FB wise, they need to be able to defend and cross a ball. Bit of pace wouldn't go a miss here too.

GK is a sweeper keeper, but if your GK doesn't have the stats to be one, don't worry, it's more about his position than anything. The team pushes up so the SW will stay out of his box a little, so there isn't such a big gap between defense and GK.

Pre-Season Training:
View attachment 338261

During-Season Training:
View attachment 338260

Pre-Season I'd arrange as many friendly's as possible, against teams you know you'll beat. Along with getting fitness up, your team will start gelling with the tactic and each win will raise morale, and hopefully come the first game of the season you'll, like I did hit the ground running!

Some of the best results, so far:
View attachment 338257View attachment 338256View attachment 338255View attachment 338254View attachment 338253

Positions during attack
View attachment 338252

This is during an attack, which lead to a goal.. As you can see both CB's #6 & #2 are pushed up just in-front of the half-way line, and #26 who was the DM this game slight ahead of them, and we have our RB #22 on the ball out-wide, ready to cross with 5 players in the area. #18 & #8 are the BBM's, #10 is the lone striker while #24 and #15 are the wide men. This is roughly most attacks look, depending of course on the other teams tactics/formation.

The league table, so far!

View attachment 338251

2nd! After 15 games, 3rd best scoring record and the 3rd best defensive record, not to shabby, right? Only one loss too, which is the least in the league.

Team Talks are done by my assistant, I always seem to let him do them.. Never failed me yet. And due to this his 'Motivation' really should be 15+, I'm currently using Josep Segura! And he was free..

View attachment 338247
My assistant also takes care of opposition instructions for me too, and again, hasn't failed me yet.

And just in-case people think I save before each game and replay to get good results, I don't.
View attachment 338246

So, there it is! Can't think of much more I need to say or add yet. I'll keep this thread updated with results etc, and if I do make any tweaks to the tactic I shall update it for you all.

If you do use the tactic, I'd very much like any feedback, good or bad! Screenshots of good results, ways you think it could be better, stuff like that!

Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD LINK: Swansea Domination - 451 - v1 - Downloads - Football Manager 2014 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats

This tactic is really good. With a few tweaks it is arguably the best 451 tactic available as of patch 14.3.1.

Unfortunately I can't provide screenshots, so you'll just have to trust my words (but if you look up Jassar or TheWibe's tactics, you can see that I've done many serious reviews before, providing SS and everything).

The team I was playing with:

I played as Man United with the LFC-Marshall update (so I had Falcao, Di Maria etc. in my team). So it's expected that I should do well. However, I started the save without being able to buy any new players, which means my defence and my central midfield was not on par with my attack. Still I managed to win the league undefeated (with 5 games left to play).

Player performance:

- Falcao became top scorer with 28 goals in the league (40 altogether).
- Angel Di Maria made the most assists as a RCAM, Januzaj made the 2nd. most as the LCAM.
- Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling finished the season as a CB pairing with 7.0+ overall rating.
- Phil Jones is amazing as an anchor, and Daley Blind is a great backup for LB and CDM (him being physically slow doesn't really bother him).
- I retrained Wayne Rooney as a CM, and he became my most important BBM.
- I do recommend using wingers with pace, although the wingers has been given a role as a playmaker; they must have +15 pace and acceleration. Mata was horrible for me, barely had a single good game, even W. Zaha was outperforming him.

Match training?
I started using this tactic before OP made this new thread, and in his old thread he didn't mention anything about match training during the season, so I improvised. Instead of general training with high focus on fitness, I used medium focus on general training with offensive match preparation (with rest before and after the game).

OI + teamtalks?
I don't use any OI. And I do the team talks myself.

Tweaks?
I did a few tweaks on my own though, like setting a deep defensive line whenever I face teams that would sit behind and wait for the counter.

CONCLUSION:
This is a legitimately good tactic. Solid in defence and attack. If I had to rate it, I would give it an 8/10. Not rating it higher, because you can't really use it as a plug&play (like Sir Goalalot). Sometimes you do have to adjust accordingly to how your team play. And another minus is the fact that I only did well with it whenever I was using top strikers like Falcao or RVP. James Wilson and Henriquez did poorly whenever I played them (and I only played them against weak oppositions in cup games).

Thanks for sharing this with us. It's like a breath of fresh air to see a 451 and not another 4231.

Last edited:
So, since I made the OP, things haven't exactly gone to plan.. I've had an extremely bad spell of games, which I'm putting down to awful luck, injury wise. Bony was out for 2 months, which lead me to play Gomis up-front, Gylfi also picked up an injury and so did Cahill and Vaughan.. All that in a period when I had to play: Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City & Arsenal.. Hahaha!

Anyway, one positive is I did win the Capital One Cup, so I've picked up silverware and at the very least have Europa League football next season, however I can still somehow get 4th.

Based on comments/feedback from people who I've shared the tactic with and via Twitter, this was a one-off, as everyone seems to be winning, winning, winning!

Going to play the last 8 league games, then I'll more than likely give another update before I make new signings and start season two.

But yeah, all feedback so far has been positive. If you've used the tactic and have any feedback, please leave a comment in here! All feedback is welcome!

Trying to download this for my Yeovil game. Currently in my second season and struggling, managed to survive the first year mostly due to ridiculously good performances in the first few games of the year.. Just need a tactic to give the players that extra push.

Anyway, whenever I click the download link for your tactic, all it downloads is the actual link itself. Maybe that's just a problem I'm having but do you have any alternative download links?

Trying to download this for my Yeovil game. Currently in my second season and struggling, managed to survive the first year mostly due to ridiculously good performances in the first few games of the year.. Just need a tactic to give the players that extra push.

Anyway, whenever I click the download link for your tactic, all it downloads is the actual link itself. Maybe that's just a problem I'm having but do you have any alternative download links?

Seems to be working fine for me, would assume it's something your end. Try a different browser, works for me on Chrome.

Would be interesting to see how it goes in a lower league.

gonna try this out soon mate ill keep u updated on how i do

Cheers, been 90% positive so far, from what feedback I've got. Still looking for ways to improve it though.

2nd. season I'm doing even better. It's the end of February and Falcao has scored 30 goals in the league.

This time I will provide screenshots by the end of the season.

Cheers, what team you going to use?

2nd. season I'm doing even better. It's the end of February and Falcao has scored 30 goals in the league.

This time I will provide screenshots by the end of the season.

Yeah, I've just started 2nd season as Swansea and my team is much better now so hopefully I'll see a big difference.

http://i.gyazo.com/9e2b18bf2c9f71eb8a453d6c31da9fb8.png < there. But anyway, here it is: Swansea Domination - 451 - v1 - Downloads - Football Manager 2014 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats

15 games in with everton looking good :) this tactic is awesome View attachment 684545

Top 4 with a very below average team ;) impressive. Haha.

Keep me updated!

I feel like a total n00b now. Just realised why my tactic/season kinda fell apart during the latter stages of the 1st season.. I'd made a few changes to the tactic when I had 3/4 key players injured and I totally forgot to change it back. Changed it back 5/6 games ago, won them all.

Reckon I'd have got myself a Champions League spot last-season if I wasn't a clown and forgot I'd changed it. Ah well.

Also thinking about trying it out in a different league apart from the Premier League, suggestions on teams? Might see how it fairs in Italy.

I will give this a go with my Bromley team in 2023. Second season in the prem. I'm going start using this halfway through the season and i currently have no wingers as I have been playing a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 for 5 seasons! I will post my half season results when I'm done.