Swift and Expansive-The 5-2-3-0 Strikerless Counterattack (TESTERS NEEDED!)

fran1412

Reaction score
Hello there everyone!

This is my first real attempt at creating a tactic which has no strikers. So essentially, the requirements for any team to use this tactic are:

1. The central midfielders must be creative (highly so like Marek Hamsik or Luka Modric)
2. The attacking midfielders must be able to score pretty well (eg: Luis Suarez, Edinson Cavani, Vaclav Kadlec etc.)
3. The team must be deadly fast and swift at counterattacks.

The formation is a sort of a 5-2-3-0 with a three centreback line-up, two wingbacks, two central midfielders and three attacking midfielders.

Goalkeeper

Role: Sweeper Keeper
Duty: Attack

In my Napoli team, I had Morgan De Sanctis for the first half of the season and then Marc-Andre Ter Stegen do this for the second half of the season.

Centre-backs

DCL: Central Defender, Cover
DCR: Ball Playing Defender, Stopper
DC: Central Defender, Defend.

I've found that this covers up basically half of the field. The BPD intercepts and tackles high up and initiates counterattacks whereas the DC takes care behind him. The DCL is the last man in charge of the back three.

Wing-Backs

WBL and WBR: Wingback, Defend (though I found support duty also to work well)

Strong wingbacks capable of supporting both defence and attack, more in defence because it's a counterattacking formation.

Centre Midfield

MCR: Central midfielder Support. A nice guy on the field who controls the game with his range of passing. Must be able to assist in both defence and attack. First it was Gokhan Inler for me and later Blerim Dzemaili and Javi Martinez were also played a lot in this position.

MCL: Advanced Playmaker, Attack. This is a player with some special individual player instructions and he is the focal point of all your attacks. Must be highly creative and must also be able to direct the play with his passing and his tempo. In mine, Marek Hamsik was the obvious choice though Gokhan Inler also was very capable.

View attachment 211798

Attacking Midfield Trio

AML: Inside Forward, Attack. Rather than me explaining this, a screenshot is better of the individual roles.

View attachment 211799

AMR: Inside Forward, Attack. Again, screenies. Cavani was absolutely lethal in this role.

View attachment 211801

Both inside forwards hence cut in and try and attack the goal while the AMC stays back and is happy doing a lot of assisting as such.

AMC: Trequarista, Attack. Screenie again. This was a false nine tactic developed by me on FM 11-though I didn't get it to work with much success then- and then modified and adapted to FM 12. The AMC drops deep and often allows the MCL behind him to get forward. And some centrebacks are often found wanting in these situations as they follow the AMC.

View attachment 211800

I bought Giuseppe Rossi this season (my second). Last season, it was Ezequiel Lavezzi who played there.

Some screenshots of important players, team instructions and the Serie A Table:

Edinson Cavani

View attachment 211809View attachment 211815

Ezequiel Lavezzi:

View attachment 211817

Marek Hamsik:

View attachment 211816

Team Instructions:

View attachment 211819

The team plays counterattacking football with short passing, normal width, rare time wasting and high tempo. The target man is the AMR-Edinson Cavani and the playmaker is obviously Marek Hamsik (MCL).

Serie A Table:

View attachment 211818

Fixtures List: Got messed up a little on this the first time while posting the screenies. Will be up tomorrow along with match screenies.

The Formation (5-2-3-0):

View attachment 211802

My Best Eleven Last Season

---Pandev-----------------Lavezzi------------------Cavani---
-------------------Hamsik-----------Martinez-----------------
---Dossena----------------------------------------Maggio---
---------------Fideleff---Campagnaro---Coloccini-------------
------------------------ter Stegen--------------------------

Opposition Instructions: The bottom most option for everyone in all the four categories.

Pitch size: Standard (100X64)

Honours Won With Napoli

1st season
1st in the Serie A
Won the Copa Italia
Won the UEFA Champions League

2nd Season (So Far...)

Won the Italian Super Cup vs. AC Milan 3-0.

-------------------------------------------
Screenies of matches will be up tomorrow as I have to go now.

Download link:

Megaupload:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A3Y4WFJJ
-----------------------------------------

ALL FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED!

Last edited:
i've considered a similar formation before. Looks cool

Hmm... looks good... could really like too test it..

Does it work with weaker teams?
And when is the download link up?

Does it work with weaker teams?
And when is the download link up?

Download link is up in the moderation queue. Don't know when it'll be up.

I'm not sure about weaker teams really. I have to test it still. Probably going to try it out with West Brom soon if I have time. They seem to be the team most suited to this style in the EPL, lot of wingers and AMs and less strikers.

EDIT: Uploaded in Megaupload.com. The link is in OP.

Last edited:
Download link is up in the moderation queue. Don't know when it'll be up.

I'm not sure about weaker teams really. I have to test it still. Probably going to try it out with West Brom soon if I have time. They seem to be the team most suited to this style in the EPL, lot of wingers and AMs and less strikers.

EDIT: Uploaded in Megaupload.com. The link is in OP.

Do you mean you have done no testing at all for this tactic?

I've done it with Napoli. That's it. With the weaker teams, I haven't done it yet. I'm testing with West Brom now. It's my second team with this tactic.

Interdasting, Best of luck with this, also making my own 41140 formation.

Looking forward to seeing how folk get on with this.