Swindon Town FC - Get them back to the Prem?

chrisjbalmer

Reaction score
First of this is my first post on this site and I've enjoyed reading some people's stories, I've played the CM / FM since the days of the Amiga on Champ Man 93'. (Am not that old)

After my first game & season with Liverpool and massively under achieving I thought it was time to set myself a real challenge.

I am looking to get Swindon Town back to where they was way back in 1993 under Glenn Hoddle, dont know how I will fair as havent even looked at Swindon's team, although an old school team mate plays for them (Billy Paynter).

Am going to give myself a target of say 6 years or less?

I hope to achieve this mammoth challenge by signing young English talented players and making some good loan moves.

Wish me luck and any advice / help will be kindly appreciated!

Thanks
Chris

In the Premier League Swindon fared badly conceding a record number of goals and staying firmly rooted to the bottom of the table. Only the team's attacking attitude and the goals of striker Jan Aage Fjortoft provided any comfort for the fans. Relegation was inevitable in 1994 and a year later Swindon were also relegated from the First Division. Gorman's sacking in favour of Steve MacMahon was too late to stop the rot.

Good Luck!

Cheers, think am going to need it, just installing the Mega Pack 2.0 I've just got then will start pre-season and report back.

* Wonders if Jan Aage Fjortoft is still knocking about and fancies a Assistant Manager roll * lol

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Pre season, not conceeded a goal yet and 19 scored, including a draw against Boro. (hopes it continues)

Also got Daniel Pacheco on Loan for the Season whos played 5 and scored five, hoping he carries onto into the season.

Still looking at getting some players in on Loan, as Swindon only have 57k to spend, so need to try and offload some players in January I think and see who is interested in coming to play for mighty Swindon then!!

Few screenshots below:
preseasont.jpg

pach.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Looking good after 9 games in sitting mid table but got a couple of games in hand on all the teams above me and could go 2nd If I won the 2 games in hand.

also got Jay Spearing on a 6 month Loan, along with Oliver Bernard (DL) on a free.

leagueq.jpg

Story continues tomorrow......(time to watch Torres & Co beat the Villa) **fingers crossed**

whats ur target this season

The board wanted a mid table finish but I said I would go for a top half finish which at the moment is looking possible although I'd like to finish in the play of zone if I can is another story

Woah Swindon were in the prem in '93? :O

Sure was, first ever Premier League aswell, likes of Jan Aage Fjortoft & Fraser Digby!

Didnt last long though.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Managed to squeeze a few more matches in after the Liverpool match.

Its early December and I've managed to climb up to 2nd place now, board are very pleased with my progress and the fans seem to be enjoying the flowing attacking football.

Also into the 3rd round of the FA Cup & catch up on the league leaders, by beating Huddersfield in two consecutive matches, didnt get an ellsutrious tie in the 3rd round but a tie that could see me get into the 4th round aginst Plymouth from Championship currently lying mid table.

Things are looking good, lets hope it continues over the buys X-Mas period and into the New Year, players are improving all the time and Paynter is scoring quite alot along with Daniel Pacheco & Ben Hutchinson (another striker on Loan from Celtic) all 3 strikers are on some kind of rotation system.

Few screenshots:
2ndb.jpg

fixturess.jpg

Find out tomorrow If the mighty Swindon will swindle out of the promotion race or top the league......????

good start there, dont beat bristol rovers and ill slip you a tenner mate

and yeah aaandy they were ****** awful, other than derby they were probably the worst prem team ever

I didnt beat them but managed a point, so feel free to slip that tenner Joe. lol

December didnt fare to well with only 2 wins in 6 has seen me drop down into 4th place, league is so tight at the moment and nobody is really running away with it, in all fairness in them 6 games I played 4 teams in and there around me, hopefully will start to pick up some more results against the lower positioned sides.

league.jpg

January seen the FA Cup 3rd round tie vs championship team Playmouth, after much huffing and puffing it was a stalemate, the 4th Round could see Liverpool having to travel to Swindon, big shock on the cards???

fadraw.jpg

Doing well mate and a nice easy readable layout.

Keep it up ^^)

Cheers Max, finding it hard to keep the pace going to be honest, still floating about the top 5 teams though.

January seen Swindon crash out of the FA Cup after a 3rd round reply with Plymouth seen them go 2 goals down but unable to pull it back with a late consolation goal. Also from the 5 games 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 lose, as below, along with Daniel Pacheco picking up the January Young Player of the Month.

fixjan.jpg

pach.jpg

Was also stuggling to find any decent players on Loan and with Hutchinson going back to Celtic and wasnt interested in returning for some strange reason? Even though he has now Broke his ankle and out for 5 months haha thats what he gets!!

So I decided to go have a word with the Board and see If they could find a feeder club, guess who pops up? Only Arsenal, who also offered me, Frompong who played his first game vs Southend and scored a blinder and ran the midfield, have him til the end of the season.

feeder.jpg

Shall do another update when theirs arond 5 games remaining......

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Swindon delighted with Balmer
The Swindon Town board are reportedly delighted that manager Chris Balmer has reaffirmed his commitment to the club by refuting his interest in the managerial vacancy at Swansea.

Still hovering around 5th spot with around 12 games to play....shal update with some screenshots shortly.

Really need to put a string of results togther to make a final push for the automatic play off place.

Fell of the pace, couldnt string a run of results together plus Daniel Pacheco got injured for 6 weeks...

Now looking to finish in the Play Off's with only 5 games remaning think I will need to win 4 of them which is achievable as am playing teams all below me., plus Pacheco is due back any day now.

newleague.jpg

Last game of the season may be the decider away to Millwall....

fixsend.jpg

Looking good mate. As Max said a very good layout, clear and easy to read and you have done a top job so far. Keep at it

Cheers lads! Hope you continue to follow.

First game v bottom of the league Exeter turned out to be a very nervous end of the game, also picked up a couple of injuries to 2 of my star players:

exeter.jpg

Next game seen 15th place, Walsall entertain a very tired Swindon side, in a 3-3 thriler had 2 goals disallowed aswell, plus an equaliser in injury time to give us a point? Will that point make a different come end of the season?

walsall.jpg

Pachecho now returns from injury....

Out-of-form Wycombe Wanderers are slight underdogs in what should prove a tightly contested affair against Swindon, according to Sky Bet.

With not long to go until the end of the season, Swindon are currently lying in 8th place in the Coca-Cola League 1 with 67 points from 43 matches.

So Pacheho returns and bags himself 2 goals with Paynter bagging the 3rd to secure a 3 - 1 win and climbs Swindon into the play of zone

leagenew1.jpg

Going to be a nervy last 2 games of the season.....

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Swindon favourites for Brentford clash
Swindon: 1-2(Fav) Draw: 13-5 Brentford: 9-2 (Coca-Cola League 1)

Swindon have been touted as comfortable favourites but will have to be wary about complacency when taking on penniless Brentford, according to Sky Bet.

With not long to go until the end of the season, Swindon are currently on a three match unbeaten run and lie in 6th place in the Coca-Cola League 1.

Brentford have now suffered three straight defeats and the relegation candidates find themselves in 20th place in the Coca-Cola League 1.

As expected won 2-0 climbing up into 5th place and it all goes down to the final game of the season.....vs Millwall, Stockport and Southampton both have easy home games.

brentford.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Final game of the season vs Millwall a very close game and a good comeback from Swindon see's me head into the Play Offs:

millwall.jpg

Drew Stockport in the Semi Finals, 1st leg seen 3 of my players on international duty including Pacheco so the odds wernt looking good going into the first leg, although a very nervy 1 nil win took me into an advantage going into the 2nd leg. which had everything even pens. Swindon go to Wembley for the Play Off final.....

stockport.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Swindon face difficult Charlton challenge

Swindon: 7-2 Draw: N/A Charlton: 4-6(Fav) (Coca-Cola League 1 Playoff Final)

High-flying Swindon are up against it in their tough encounter against Charlton, according to Sky Bet.

Current manager Chris Balmer has been at Swindon Town for 11 months, having joined the club in July 2009.

Outspoken manager Mike Newell has been at Charlton Athletic for 5 months, having joined the club in January 2010.

The referee for the match will be Lee Probert from Gloucester who has shown 32 yellow cards and 2 red cards in his nine Coca-Cola League 1 games so far this season.

Very nervy game, holding on for most of the game as you can see from the stats but a late penatly taken nicely by Billy Paynter sees Swindon promoted into the Championship after Chris Balmer's first season in charge.

I shall let you all digest an amazing first season by underdogs Swindon, and shall report back after pre-season, please feel free to give me some advise on who to sign, hopefully I will have more budget than 57k I had at the start of the season!!

Come on the mighty Swindon, the Premership is in sight now!!!

pend.jpg

pend.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Swindon Town's Chris Balmer has won the Coca-Cola League 1 Manager of the Month award.

The award was made after the Robins boss led his team to three league victories in their last five games.

(L1) Swindon 2 - 0 Brentford (1st May)
(L1) Swindon 2 - 2 Millwall (8th May)
(L1) Swindon 1 - 0 Stockport (15th May)
(L1) Swindon defeat Stockport 5 - 3 on penalties (18th May)
(L1) Swindon 1 - 0 Charlton (23rd May)

With not much to choose between the top three, Charlton's Mike Newell took second place and Alan Pardew of Southampton came third.

Rightly deserved aswell, came 3rd in the Year of the Manager award.

Life begins in the Coca Cola Championship for Swindon Town FC, with the new manager getting a 3 year extension on his contract for all last years hard work.

My aim this season is to avoid relegation and see If I can have a little cup run to bring some extra cash as am still low on funds at the moment, as you will see from my signings.

Pre season results:
Whilst playing some decent teams including Arsenal, Fulham & Hull who all played a full strength team, the Swindon lads didnt humilate themselves one bit, lets hope it gives them enough experience for the future....????
preseasonnew.jpg

Transfers
After a not so bad Pre-season against some tough teams Swindon have equipped themselves pretty well for the season ahead, with some acute signings with experience and youth, Salif Diao, Luis Boa Morte, Christian Vieiri (yes the Italian legend at Swindon) , Graham Alexandra, plus the on another years loan last years star striker, also got a couple of players on Loan again from Arsenal and signed a young striker from Man Utd as backup. Cant see there being anymore signings maybe a defender for back up?

What are your thoughts on my signings? Are Swindon Town equipped enough to maintain their Championship status
transfersj.jpg

First month looks a tough one with Preston, Cardiff, Coventry and Blackburn all to be entertained by the mighty Swindon!

Shall report back after a couple of months in.......
(may be a while now New Year to party)

some good signings there mate :p hope ya stay up :p and get Swindon back into the prem ;):p

Life in the Cmapionship isnt all what it seems to be, Swindon currently find themselves routed to the bottom of the league and struggling to score more than 2 goals in a game, although manager Chris Balmer is not giving up this tough season.

He will be adopting a more defensive tactic with the hope of hitting teams on the break as his current 4-4-2 formation doesnt seem to be working.

We have also signed another 2 players Sionko a right winger who was highly recmonded by my Assistant and San Jose, central defender who is back up.

If anybody has any suggestions on tactics that I could use then please help as Im really stuggling at the moment.

Cheers guys!

My next 2 games were both tough ones agaist Crystal Palace away & at home to Watford as previously mentioned manager Chris Balmer decided a change in formation was needed for his away games he will trying a more defensive approach and try to hit the opposition on the counter attack.

Although this didnt work against Palace going down 2 nil it seemed a much bette tactic as we minimised them to many chances.

The Home formation is going to be a different story with Swindon going all out attack with 3 strikers in search for some goals, Watford were the guinea pigs for this one, and low and behold Swindon picked up their first win of the season with to late goals in stoppage time in both halfs from the boy wonder Billy Paynter.

Swindon manager was pleased with his tactical changes "I hope we can build on our home form and keep grinding out the results for the fans"

Screenshots for both games and formations below: