Tactic building guide by Igneos Eructid

Igneos79

Banned
Reaction score
Disclaimer: this wasn't written by a guru, or a football expert, just a gamer with many hours in the game and some common sense.

Fluidity:

With very rigid, you ask your defenders to defend, midfielders to support, and strikers attack.
Rigid is the same, but your sidebacks and more defensive midfielders also do support.
With balanced you ask your players to do their duty, no matter where they are on the pitch.
With fluid you ask your players to do all duties, except the striker
With very fluid, all players do all duties.

Mentality:

You can choose any of the offered mentalities with any team, depending on your personal wishes, or club board requests. More agressive mentalites will bring you crowds, and tickets money, and plenty of goals, but you will keep less clean sheets, be more susceptible to counter attacks, you will cover more space and possibly exaust your players before the season is over. With standard mentality, you can go for less or for more agressive TI.

Team Instructions:

These go hand in hand with mentality. More agressive mentalites mean more direct passess, less long shots, more running toward defence, higher defensive line, more pressing, more roaming, more creativity, higher tempo. You can play without TI, or further faten them up. I advise against making contradictory TI. If you opt for playing without TI, and want your team to play more agressively or less agressively, just increase or decrease the mentality.

Player Instructions:

Just like the TI, the PI will change with mentality. They will also change with the change of TI. So there is basically no need to touch these, unless you don't want something done as a team effort, and would prefer individual instructions. In my testings, changing these is a bad idea. If you really want your dlps to play more direct, for example, you should change mentality or TI, and leave PI alone.

Tactical styles:

As mentioned previously, you shouldn't go against your mentality. But you can opt to choose just some TI. For example, with a counter mentality, you can play shorter, retain possession, and take a breather. This is a style that actually keeps the ball, and keeps possession and frustrates opponents. They will get yellow and red cards, and you will have most possession even when you aren't pressing high up the pitch. A counter mentality with no TI will play your basic less agressive football.

Player roles and duties:

I suggest you use the roles the tactic creator suggests when creating your template and work your way from there. I advise using partnerships. One smarter, one more physicall, or two medium. One going forward, one covering behind him. One going wider, one cutting inside. Yin and Yang. Two central defenders work well together, but two limited or two ballplaying don't. If you have a winger with attack duty, his sideback should support him, or if you have an attacking sideback, his winger should support him. If you have arranged everything properly, you should have 3 attack, 3 defend (blue), and others support duties, plus GK.

Last edited:
I read a lot of your posts and although I don't agree with everything, I do think it's about time to thank you for all the work you have written for all of us :) When people start reading more your guides and using it to stop a think a little bit with what they are doing with their tactics, they'll a lot more happier. Thanks Igneos !!!

yea im with miguel great work my friend I really appreciate it! THX

So if you want your playmaker to make more direct passes it means that every player should do more direct passes?? No, sorry that's not how football works.

That's when PI starts working :)

Hmmmmmmmm so why did he write this

" If you really want your dlps to play more direct, for example, you should change mentality or TI, and leave PI alone."

Reading the Whole thing is a good thing

Last edited:
I read a lot of your posts and although I don't agree with everything, I do think it's about time to thank you for all the work you have written for all of us :) When people start reading more your guides and using it to stop a think a little bit with what they are doing with their tactics, they'll a lot more happier. Thanks Igneos !!!

yea im with miguel great work my friend I really appreciate it! THX

So if you want your playmaker to make more direct passes it means that every player should do more direct passes?? No, sorry that's not how football works.

That's when PI starts working :)

Hmmmmmmmm so why did he write this

" If you really want your dlps to play more direct, for example, you should change mentality or TI, and leave PI alone."

Reading the Whole thing is a good thing

It's simply his experience, doesn't mean its an absolute truth

Apparently it's "common sense"

Thank you Miguel and Mrmuto. This is all one big learning process for me, so I may be wrong at some things, I admit. But from what I learned so far, regarding dlps, is that in previous fm's, playmakers were set to direct passing. If you shorten the passes to your team, playmakers are set to do mixed passes. The only time when you should perhaps use more direct passing for him, is when he is in dm position and you order to play out of defence aswell. That would shorten his passess, but I think the decision to lengthen them in these conditions would be wrong. I can't really find a flaw with ME, it's usually players who do all sorts of wrong decisions, and make the ME behave erratic.

Playmaker in football is same as playmaker in every other sport. He creates and is given the freedom to do so. Therefore, his passes should be in the mixed area. However, this is a team sport, so he shouldn't be playing one game, and team playing another. Mixed area of passess can be shorter or more direct, and when you change mentality and TI, they will adapt to your wishes. It makes no sense to have your playmaker play long balls if your team is on short passing. He would just receive it and hoof it up resulting in a loss of possession. If you really want him to find your striker with a more direct ball, or a long ball, you should adjust your team to that aswell. I'm not completly sure about it, but I think the SI games will, or already have, made sure the players can't break the ME, so when they do that, there will be restraints regarding how long he will pass the ball, and everything will be within the overall plan, so it will be easier to create tactics even for newbies.

TI are exactly it, TEAM instructions. This is where you order your whole team to do something. PI should be used if you don't want something done as a team effort. For example, you can set tight marking as a PI and as a TI. Result with using TI will be that all players will be given a tight marking assignment and switch that duty amongst each other through means of communication, resulting in tight marking done properly. If using tight marking as a PI, that individual will always tight mark, resulting in doubling or tripling up on an opponent and leaving gaps in your defence. Most likely resulting in conceeding a goal.

Last edited:
It all depends also the style of football each one wants. Personally, I'm always for giving players options and not limiting their options. And people always forget a detail that I find most important: ppm's :)