Zedwardson

Reaction score
What is a good tactic that is downloadable for teams that are not highly skilled such as teams deep in the lower divisions. Most of the tactics i see for download is for Champions league level teams, and require to obtain a highly skill key player(s). I just want to find one that is a solid tactic so I know my poor understanding of Tactics is not killing me.

tactics "for big teams" will work equally well for the small teams, if you have players with correct roles and duties combinations. However, most tactics here are built by amateurs, not real football coaches, and all the success that you see they had is basically just because they have great players. Even then, they lose some games, when they encounter ai that targets holes in their tactics, and that is considered "normal". When you make a tactic that works well in LLM, Premier league and zimbabwe, you have done a good job. But 99% of tactics here can't cut it. It takes years (in my case) of researching football guides and books to build a flawless tactic. And even than, it usually exploits a single area of game (for example exploits the right flank), so when you come across opponent that has a very good fullback and perhaps a very good DM player aswell, it all falls into water. Every formation in modern football is good at one thing and bad at another. So when you have read all possible tactical books, and guides, you may think of a formation to use, end exploit it strentghs and cover its weakness to maximum, but even than you wont win 100% of games. Perhaps it would be best to research what football club made real and great acomplishments, how they did it, and than copy the best ouf it, if not all of it. That is what I did with Bayern 2012-2013, under coach Osram.

I messed around, and with Chorley (Added the lower leagues) I have been on a nice run. Kept it simple, and kept it conservative and I might very well win my Regional Cup, and might qualify for the FA Cup proper. Also in the Promotion zone so I am tickled pink right now.

Based off a online tactic that was supposed to be the French WC tactic, and modified it from fluid to balanced. Between that and having a great Goalie and a hot striker I been on a nice run. My side might even go professional next year.

Last edited:
tactics "for big teams" will work equally well for the small teams, if you have players with correct roles and duties combinations. However, most tactics here are built by amateurs, not real football coaches, and all the success that you see they had is basically just because they have great players. Even then, they lose some games, when they encounter ai that targets holes in their tactics, and that is considered "normal". When you make a tactic that works well in LLM, Premier league and zimbabwe, you have done a good job. But 99% of tactics here can't cut it. It takes years (in my case) of researching football guides and books to build a flawless tactic. And even than, it usually exploits a single area of game (for example exploits the right flank), so when you come across opponent that has a very good fullback and perhaps a very good DM player aswell, it all falls into water. Every formation in modern football is good at one thing and bad at another. So when you have read all possible tactical books, and guides, you may think of a formation to use, end exploit it strentghs and cover its weakness to maximum, but even than you wont win 100% of games. Perhaps it would be best to research what football club made real and great acomplishments, how they did it, and than copy the best ouf it, if not all of it. That is what I did with Bayern 2012-2013, under coach Osram.
You seem to think that this game is like real life. It isn't. Even real football coaches wouldn't get success in this game.

You seem to think that this game is like real life. It isn't. Even real football coaches wouldn't get success in this game.

Hahahahah, well some of them ceirtanly wouldn't, I agree. Football coaches don't know that much about tactics, and/or don't care. Only top managers read old and new football books and set their tactics properly. Which is what I'm trying to do.

I have managed Matlock from skill north to the premier league. It's been very tough as never a transfer budget so working the free transfers for golden oldies and the occasional young gem. Also needed to rebuild most of the squad every season. The tactics that were most successful involved diamond formations and narrow playing style (mainly because good wingers are tough to find). Stifling the opposition, keeping possession, floating crosses to tall players up front. Working on your set pieces also helps a lot. The main formations I've used have been 4-1-3-1-1 away and 4-1-2-1-2 at home. FM is good in the way once you have a couple of settled formations results tend to be better. Constant tweaking tends to backfire. I have played 5-3-2 long ball against some teams where there is a real gap (eg Chelsea and Spurs away in League Cup (won both)).
With Tranmere I inherited a couple of good wingers at the start (Power and Bell-Baggie) so played 4-4-2 successfully.
FM14 really is at its best when you're working the lower divisions.