xfer

Reaction score
I've tried 3 formations now. Mainly the Barcelona total dominance. Wasn't expecting it to work right away but it did have decent effect for the first Hal of the season before I started losing 6 games in a row.

Looking to restart game and go with a more realistic formation. Any suggestion? Probably have enough money for 1-2 decent signing. Budget around 10mil. Any players to recommend for a start?

Thanks.

I would probably go for the deep 4231 as it suits the current squad. Also, don't underestimate using Defensive Wingers

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...recreated-13-2-3-**************jassar-44.html

Hi mate try this one out, page 44 post 438 has the download link that works best from my experience.

View attachment 346643

would be jonas on the left side instead of bernard with the default squad, when i tested using the tactic listed i won the league, europa cup and the fa cup in the 1st season.

however just now im trying to develop a different approach to what ive seen around here hense the 5th in the league :p

This is the setup I have been using with similair teams and am now testing with Newcastle

Basiclly, I load up 2 formations, one Deep 4231 Control and one 451 Counter. As you can see, I use an Advanced FC stretching the defence with a TQ just behind him, stting in the hole. As for the wingers, I tend to swap and chnage depending on who I play but Its crucial to keep the balance. In the other formation, I use a DLF on support to link up more and hold on to the ball when lanching an attack. Again, the same things apply for the wingers as in the previous approach

As for the DMCs, MC, its again about having some players sitting deep and some moving forward and regarding the Fullbacks/Wingbacks, its something I again change depending on the players ( sme are better at crossing, some are better at passing) and the opposition ( if they have really fast wingers, I might let them stay back a bit more and vice versa.

Switching between the 2 formations ingame ?
- Yes and here, the AMC drops into MCleft and becomes a CM/attack and the DMCleft pushes up into MCright(!), all to avoid the attacking MC to get in the way of the Advanced playmaker on the wing so he has space to cut inside when he has the ball . Here, I have found the a player like Sissoko is the perfect one to act both as a TQ in the AMC position as well as the CM on attack.

View attachment 346725View attachment 346726

Along with this I use the following shouts

Pass n´Move

Passing the ball around with lots of movement
View attachment 346736

Exploit the Flanks

Its all about using the flanks and the width
View attachment 346728

Hit it Quickly

Higher tempo, more t-balls and players going directly at goal or hitting those early crosses from deep. This one works really good when we can exploit the space behing the oppositiosn fullbacks

NOTE: Consider NOT using the " run at defence" if you want really swift attacks.
View attachment 346731

Retain & Press

Here, we press higher and when in possession, we try to keep the ball
View attachment 346742

Drop Deep and Defend/Control

Here, its all about sitting deep and defend and restrict the opponent to taking longshots. Just be careful so you dont invite a team back into the game.
View attachment 346727

Last edited:
TBH while your in here, i wonder if you could answer a quick question I have about marking and closing down.

from a personal point of view I would think that higher pressing would work better with man marking so that defending players are closer to their opposing number whilst pressing them more?

and the opposite for zonal marking and stand off more to keep the shape of the team etc?

TBH while your in here, i wonder if you could answer a quick question I have about marking and closing down.

from a personal point of view I would think that higher pressing would work better with man marking so that defending players are closer to their opposing number whilst pressing them more?

and the opposite for zonal marking and stand off more to keep the shape of the team etc?

In theory, yes, but as man marking is a bit flawed, I never, ever use it.

Thanks for confirming that for me :)

I was trying to get it working but it just never did lol.

Thanks for confirming that for me :)

I was trying to get it working but it just never did lol.

I find it crucial ( and just like in real life), that you do flood the midfield when hassling an opponent. If really wanting to emulate Barca, one would need specific man-marking against those teams playing compact with 5 men in midfield when wanting to hassle them. Now, to do this, one would have to use at least comprehensive highlights as well as playing the game in normal speed

End of off-topic ( lets use my sticked thread in the manin tactic section)

Double post

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing guys! (Actually replied earlier, but it didnt seem to post.)

Nonetheless, i've tried the suggested tactics without 100% familiarity and seems to work well, at least better than the ones i tried.

I enjoy watching the team play passing and one-twos football, and retaining possession, much like swansea and of cos arsenal and Barcelona. However, is it even possible with Newcastle's default squad? I signed a couple of players for the future, with the right PPM, obviously not blended into the squad atm.

This is the tactic i was trying, looks promising, but not delivered for me so far.

Barcelona Tiki-Taka 4-3-2-1 | Football Manager Tactic | Passion for Football Manager 2013