GWarman

Reaction score
Currently struggling in league 2 to get points, just wondering what success people have had in lower leagues and playing with what style

I recomend a solid, simple 4-4-2 with basic roles: two Center Mids and a DLF + a AF.

If you make it fancy, the opposition (playing a simple game) will destroy you.

I recomend a solid, simple 4-4-2 with basic roles: two Center Mids and a DLF + a AF.

If you make it fancy, the opposition (playing a simple game) will destroy you.

I'll try that out :)

What playing style do you recommend, slow/fast, direct/short?

Really depends on your players to be honest. If you've good wingers, Direct and play the flanks. If you've creative Centre-mids, Play the middle with Wide midfielders adding with.

i always design my tactics with "When I loose the ball, what's my plan B to recycle possession?" in mind.

if you've tall Strikers with good Strength, Float crosses; If you've agile strikers with good anticipation and off the ball, Drill crosses.

Currently struggling in league 2 to get points, just wondering what success people have had in lower leagues and playing with what style
I have tried many tactics and the winner is : 3 tall Central Defenders (The middle one with cover duty should be with decent anticipation + Accelleration) the two on the sides play left and right foot accordingly with stopper duties (They need decent Aggression + Bravery)...If you have 3 like these they will become The iron curtain no one can pass... (NO NEED FOR FULBACKS !)...Above them a ball winning defensive midfielder with defend duty that will deal with all incoming attacking midfielders from all sides....Two wide midfielders or wingers with support duties...At the middle two box-to-box midfielders that will help both defence and attack...Two strikers..one with support duties like false nine or trequartista and other a poacher or targetman or advanced forward with attack duty...That is an EXPLOSIVE formation that would inflict high voltage damage to all teams...

Last edited:
I developed an Asymetric 4-5-1 that works well for my side in the belgian lower leageus. The false 9 (offset right)/ Shadow striker (offset left) combination works really well for me, especially as I have an Inside forward (support) on the right so my false 9 naturaly has 1 option either side of him and is in the right kind of area should the Winger (LM) look to put a cross in.

defensively I play 4 at the back, with 2 complete wingbacks, and a Halfback who is the key man as he can drop in centrally between the 2 CB's if both the LB and RB are up the pitch, if only one of them has pushed up then he'll move across to cover taht sdie more or if all 4 are back then he'll patrol anyone who comes at the back 4, normally working well against any CM that venture forward or CAM's, but he's also the man who picks up any full back's that push up the pitch when an attack comes in from out wide.

then I use a box to box mid to link the play between the attack and defence, I've recently picked up 1 that likes to play higher up teh pitch so he adds to the attacking threat by breaking through and trying to lb the keeper every now and again. (love that ppm)

I only chose that formation due to what I had available. 2 ST, 1 RAM/ST, 1 RAM/CAM, 1 CAM, and 1 LM who couldn't play LAM going forward with 2 DM/CM who I quickly moved to bring in a great DM to cover that area, who is still first choice now I'm in teh Pro League.

But as a general set of rules I'd say build a tactic to fit what you've got then pick a philosophy that suits it and then look for bargains that could come in and either cover what you think will be a key position or multiple positions and only introduce them slowly. putting 1-2 straight into the team is fine, but if you've got 4-5 new players to put straight into your team it won't work out very well as I've found it takes alot longer for them to gel that way then if you introduce 1-2 then slowly rotate the others in over the first 5-10 games. e.g. using them off the bench, then giving them the odd start until they seem to link up well with the rest of the first team.

I'm with Ursulla on this one - I employ similar tactics. Thing is, I've had absolutely no luck with any formation that involves fullbacks. So obviously the solution being employing 3 center backs.

I do find that with the 3 center backs teams do "cotton on" & you will concede CCC's especially against the good teams.

I'm playing a 3-5-2 but my 3 center midfielders are very good for my level (Skrill Premier) so I have 3 good defensive minded midfield players.

I'm with Ursulla on this one - I employ similar tactics. Thing is, I've had absolutely no luck with any formation that involves fullbacks. So obviously the solution being employing 3 center backs.

I do find that with the 3 center backs teams do "cotton on" & you will concede CCC's especially against the good teams.

I'm playing a 3-5-2 but my 3 center midfielders are very good for my level (Skrill Premier) so I have 3 good defensive minded midfield players.
I just had another away win with the above mentioned formation 1:0...They managed
only twice to find the goal but my keeper done an amazing job...So far 5 games without loosing...And I got the runner-up manager of the month...My next game at home against the Manager of the Month...

Last edited:
Hi i have read this thread and i have seen that 2 of the people havent been able to do well playing formations with full backs i currently am aldershot in the skrill premier and i am 4th in the league by playing a 4-4-2 formation and i have had no problem with this formation