cambs17utd

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm struggling with tactics this year!

Anyone had or know of a successful 4-2-3-1 tactic on fm18?

All i see if 4-3-3's and sadly I'm not a fan or this just doesn't work for the team I have.

Any ideas thrown my way will be greatly appreciated :D

Yes, try my tactic. Look for 4-2-3-1 Return of the Red Devils.

4-2-3-1 is my favourite formation ive had a lot of success with it, just completed my first season on fm18 won the prem and europa league with Arsenal, finished with most goals scored and least conceded.

View attachment 67485

Last edited:
Rather than just giving you the answer, let's think through this. What does a target man do? What types of attacking moves is he going to be involved in? What are the best ways to get him the ball? It also depends on what you want to do with your tactic in a more general sense; is this an attacking tactic or is it more defensive? The ways you'll get him the ball will vary depending on that.

I get that I'm coming across as snarky here, but that's not my intent. You'll be a better tactician and manager in the long run if you learn to think through your tactical issues and learn about how and why things work the way they do.

Rather than just giving you the answer, let's think through this. What does a target man do? What types of attacking moves is he going to be involved in? What are the best ways to get him the ball? It also depends on what you want to do with your tactic in a more general sense; is this an attacking tactic or is it more defensive? The ways you'll get him the ball will vary depending on that.

I get that I'm coming across as snarky here, but that's not my intent. You'll be a better tactician and manager in the long run if you learn to think through your tactical issues and learn about how and why things work the way they do.

I'm a player who is in the original posters' same situation - relatively new to the game with limited tactical knowledge of the game, who mainly finds pre-made tactics online to use. I appreciate what you said - in the end, I would like to critically evaluate my tactics myself instead of asking others to make/fix them.

How would I learn to do this... I have no idea how passing to a target man vs. an advanced forward works, depending on whether I'm playing an offensive or defensive game. Could you point out some resources to help with this or elaborate yourself?

Take a look at that thread I linked to in the "not enough knowledge about game mechanics" thread on this forum. It explains it much better than I could.

But put simply, a Target Man is (usually) a big striker (think Benteke or Peter Crouch) whose primary role is to win headers and hold up the ball to allow his teammates to get involved in the attack. In terms of goalscoring, his main weapon is heading crosses and set pieces, so the best way to utilize him is with crosses from your wingers (the "float crosses" instruction helps) and getting him involved on corners/free kicks (but don't ask me for advice on that, I suck at designing set pieces and may actually start a thread to collect other people's ideas on them soon). That means he's best suited with your wide midfielders playing as wingers (or your fullbacks getting to the byline) to cross toward him, and he's suited for more direct passing mentalities (particularly counter) rather than possession-based attacks.

The Advanced Forward is a little more sophisticated and kind of combines a few different roles, and its interpretation probably varies from player to player more than any other striker role except complete forward. He can also be a big guy who tries to hold up the ball, but usually he's going to play a role similar to the poacher, trying to break in behind the defense, or run the channels extensively. He does more to combine with teammates than a poacher, but isn't usually as good at holding up play as a Target Man. You can use more of a variety of guys with him, whether it's giving him a deeper-lying strike partner, or having inside forwards or a #10 who combines with him in the final third, or adopting a crossing strategy (although lower crosses help more since he's not the aerial threat a Target Man is).

Like I said, you should go read the thread I linked because it's got a much better explanation of how those roles work in terms of the match engine, but that's a general explanation of what each role does and how you might use them.