Tactic Testing Update: Match Engine v2026

Liam

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

With the recent announcement of the new Public Beta which includes an updated Match Engine (M.E. v2031). We have decided to pause tactic testing until it is in full release, in case of any further changes (SI have stated it is unlikely to be the last version before the next patch).

Currently the changes going from v2026 to v2031 are as follows:
  • Improved one-on-one finishing.
  • Recalculations regarding clear-cut chances.
  • Tweaks to penalty kick conversion rates.
  • Improved crossing variation and instruction behaviour.
  • Improved defensive tracking from long balls.
  • Improvements/tweaks to referee behaviour.
We're hoping this will bring a much better experience to the Match Engine and will provide more consistency. As always, I'm also sure they'll be other changes that are noticed by this amazing community too!

As for the current patch with Match Engine v2026, here's some cool stats for you:
  1. We tested 416 tactics over 90 games.
  2. @Knap is responsible for five of the top ten tactics overall.
  3. Our tactic testing table has been viewed over a million times.
We'll be back very soon, and thanks for all of your support! We really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

With the recent announcement of the new Public Beta which includes an updated Match Engine (M.E. v2031). We have decided to pause tactic testing until it is in full release, in case of any further changes (SI have stated it is unlikely to be the last version before the next patch).

Currently the changes going from v2026 to v2031 are as follows:
  • Improved one-on-one finishing.
  • Recalculations regarding clear-cut chances.
  • Tweaks to penalty kick conversion rates.
  • Improved crossing variation and instruction behaviour.
  • Improved defensive tracking from long balls.
  • Improvements/tweaks to referee behaviour.
We're hoping this will bring a much better experience to the Match Engine and will provide more consistency. As always, I'm also sure they'll be other changes that are noticed by this amazing community to!

As for the current patch with Match Engine v2026, here's some cool stats for you:
  1. We tested 416 tactics over 90 games.
  2. @Knap is responsible for five of the top ten tactics overall.
  3. Our tactic testing table has been viewed over a million times.
We'll be back very soon, and thanks for all of your support! We really appreciate it.
Thanks God!Finnaly!!!

By the look for those tweaks to the M.E; it's nice to see that the FM devs actually do listen to their fanbase regarding their game and needed updates compared to other football games developers *cough*EA*cough*

Can I have the translation in French please ? And what is the new public beta ? Thanks

Wow testers gonna get busy if the mentioned update require a retest of 416 tactics o_O

When the new testing system will start?
After 20.3 probably? No reason to test v2039 if SI will release new ME in 20.3 (it could be small changes but changes still)

After 20.3 probably? No reason to test v2039 if SI will release new ME in 20.3 (it could be small changes but changes still)

After 20.3, SI will also release 20.31, 20.32, 20.33 just like in previous FM. By this logic even 20.3 should not be tested then.

After 20.3, SI will also release 20.31, 20.32, 20.33 just like in previous FM. By this logic even 20.3 should not be tested then.
No, patches after big update .3 never changed ME

No, patches after big update .3 never changed ME

There are other non ME changes that could affect tactic. It happened many times before after the .30 patch a small change in .31/32/33 patch which contains no ME changes but noticeably reduced all tactics efficiency. It could be the AI's tactical approach or something else.

Anyway, I hope the test will just start right away instead of waiting for the final final version. The test results are what attracting users to visit fm-base, it's the content that generated the most traffic so why delay it.

here are other non ME changes that could affect tactic. It happened many times before after the .30 patch a small change in .31/32/33 patch which contains no ME changes but noticeably reduced all tactics efficiency. It could be the AI's tactical approach or something else.
This is placebo or your club's reputation changed and it gave you different results or some in-save context. No any in-game changes after xx.3 update, SI start to focus on next edition after this update. All next patches like xx.3.1, xx.3.2 are stability / broadcoasting / etc. only
Classic example https://community.sigames.com/topic/468477-football-manager-2019-1932-minor-update-out-now/
Actually have any opinion you want, but it's a fact

any update on testing? or are we waiting until next update? :)

Reactions: knz
We're waiting for our new database to be completed before we start testing again. Once that is ready, we'll be providing much more information than our current testing table provides. It will be worth the wait!